any davis industries 380 owners??? plz help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dsmith84, Aug 8, 2009.

1. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

hi. i was wondering if anyone had one of these or could tell me about it. i know its not gonna shoot like a glock or whatever but i seen one in a pawn shop for 110 and thought that it'd be a good glovebox gun for my truck. basically my main question is does it go bang every time or almost every time? i had a lorcin 380 which i quickly sold because it couldn't fire thru one clip. is the davis any better or is it a pos like the lorcin? thanks guys for any help

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

JUNK.

Do not waist good money on Davis Arms.

3. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

have you had one? can you ellaborate on why its a piece of junk? anyone else have anything to add?

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

That is a little too overpriced for that pistol. The Davis 380 is now made by Cobra Arms and is known as the model CA-380. The CA-380 usually sells for around 130-140 dollars brand new.

These firearms are very simple and can be very finicky. The first rule of thumb is you have to hold these things tight when firing. This is not due to recoil, but due to the fact that because of the low mass of the slide, there is a great chance of a malfunction if there is a slight hint of limp wristing the weapon.

The barrel is of decent quality, and the rest of the weapon is made with Zamak (pot metal). There is a decent chance that the Zamak will crack around the barrel (the steel barrel is shrouded in Zamak) or slide, causing you to send it in for warranty repairs.

For around the same amount of money, I recommend you purchase a Hi-Point C9. The construction is much better, and you will find that the 9x19mm round is much more common, and cheaper, than the .380 ACP round.

If you are stuck on this type of weapon, I recommend you go with the Cobra Arms model FS380 pistol. It is a little bulkier than the CA380 which will lead to less felt recoil and a more durable slide/frame.

Cobra CA380:
    [​IMG]

Cobra FS380:
    [​IMG]

Good luck.

5. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

thanks for the great info i dont think i want it. especially if its partially made out of pot metal the high points around here sell for close to 200 but i think i'll save up the rest

6. Defender

Defender New Member

Not to mention the 9mm is more powerful and a proven better man-stopper.

7. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

hi point

hi point should sell for max $180. you can call the company and ask the MSRP
    It was $139.and at that price dealer was $79. what I paid for mine.$180 seem to be the price in south.:rolleyes:

8. Maveou

Maveou New Member

Sgt Miller is correct about holding it tight. I've fired only twice out of my Davis, and it was a slight surprise. It's awfully heavy, too, for the size (IMHO). For some reason, I thought it was unusually loud as well? Maybe just me. I am glad I read this about the pot metal, I won't be looking to fire it again anytime soon (wasn't planning on it anyway). The only thing I can say in my experience is, it was fun to disassemble and reassemble.

9. wilddawg1

wilddawg1 New Member

your davis 380

hey a lot of people say they are crap i bought one for my wife have fired at least 1000 rds and never had a problem is it a cheap gun yes but taken care of it will work fine as a conceled piece and its very accurate:):)

10. Stuie

Stuie New Member

Hate bring up an old thread. But I have had one of these guns for a while. My Grandfather gave it to me. Finally I took to the range today.

1) Thing is so inaccurate! I put 100 rounds through it and never improved. I wasn't having an off day because I would pick up my XDm and shoot great.

2) Slide Bite - Dear Lord, my hands fit around it just enough where it rubs on my hand didn't break skin until the second box of ammo.

3) Cleaning - Disassembly is a pain I cleaned it before and after shooting and each time that spring goes flying, extremely annoying.

I was going to give this to my wife to use but after running 100 rounds for it, I am going to get rid of this little toy.

11. ScottG

ScottG New Member

If it's that bad, why did you shoot a second box of ammo??? :D

12. Stuie

Stuie New Member

I forgot to load my new boxes of 40 in my bag. So it was drive 20 minutes to the range, shoot for 10 minutes and go home, It was shoot a bad gun or don't shoot at all.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got one in a trade some time ago. It was a better paperweight. It would not feed all the time. It had a problem ejecting from time to time. And it beat you to death for such a small round. Though many 380's are like that because they are so small. I was not planning on keeping the 380 I ended up with but I like to know how well something works so when I go to trade it off I can say yeah it's a good one or not.With firearms you do get what you pay for to a degree. I'm not saying you need to drop a grand+ to get a decent weapon. But the reason many cheaper weapons are cheaper is because they are built cheaper. Poor steel, tolerances that are not consistent, overall a cheaper made weapon is what you get.

I got to know a county LEO in Ohio where I used to live that actually told me that with weapons like Davis, Jennings that they had to take them and have them checked out if they got one at a crime scene because some defense lawyers would argue that the weapons could not function properly and therefore a charge of a crime with a weapon had to be dropped because it wasn't really a weapon. I don't know if anyone actually got off or had a charge reduced that way but that is pretty funny (not funny ha ha but ...funny).

Finding a god deal on a weapon is great. But if this thing is going to be used to defend yourself I can only ask why one would thing their life was not worth the money for a weapon you know will work properly? There are handguns out there that wont break the bank. The Bersa 380's are much more reliable and don't cost much. If it is a 380 that you want that is. I lurk in pawn shops often looking for a good deal on something. It's a good way to save some money. Gun shows are also pretty cool to look at. Auctions like gunbroker, auctionarms, or gunsamerica deals can be found if you have an ffl to ship to. Places like Buds Gun Shop or other online dealers too. But where ever you go make sure you are getting something that will work if/when you need it. You're really just throwing good money after bad by getting a weapon just because of it's price. Especially one that might not work reliably.

14. wilddawg1

wilddawg1 New Member

davis 380

i got one of these about 15 yrs ago still have it along with a couple springfiled s and smiths i wont say it is anywhere near top of the line but for the 125 i paid it is my backup piece i carry in my ankle holster and for accuracy i find mine very accurate . i have more than 5000 rds thru it and never a jam or any other problem for something everyone calls junk and being 15yrs old i would say it is fairly good.

15. Esteban

Esteban New Member

A lady-friend has one & I don't think much of it. She cannot rack the slide back no matter how she tries to. If your hand is high up on the grips, the slide will " bite you." BUT, if kept very clean & shooting FMJ, it is pretty reliable.
    Save up a little more & get something better , is my recommendation. Is a revolver an option ??

16. wilddawg1

wilddawg1 New Member

davis 380

i dont really use it for much some plinking as i said mainly back up as my two springfileds are 5in and the smith is 41/4 little big for the ankle but for a cheap saturdaynight pistol mine is pretty good . as for the slide i oringinally bought it for the wife she never had that problem if you lube it right the slide should work fairly easily. i am now looking at the new smith 380 as my backup my badluck buds is out o stock right now and they have some of the best prices around i am not a relvover man anymore. other than my two ruger blackhawks 1 357 and 1 44 super.

17. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Her firearm is lubed well. Just seems to be terribly strong springs. More shooting would probably help it some, though. She now has a S & W revolver for home defense.

18. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Davis P380

I have had a Davis P380 for almost 20 years, they don't like reloads, you will experience jams if you use reloads. Mine has NEVER jammed when useing new rounds. The other thing to watch out for is the fact that if you do not keep your thumb out of the way when firing, you will most likely lose some skin off the top of the bottom joint, been there done that, got the T-shirt, coffee cup and tattoo. Other than that I like the weapon, its sturdy, I wore mine daily for years when I was driving taxi at night in Phoenix AZ. It is accurate, at 50 feet I group shots at will, it is powerful, I use full copper jackets. $110 is pricey as I think I paid $99 20 years ago. If you have one, keep it clean and dont use reloads and above all keep the thumb knuckle outta the way.:D