Any Coon Hunters on Here ?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sheriffjohn, Feb 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes they just tear up stuff for no apparent reason witnessed in my shed. Stack of Quickcrete bags ripped open. Might have been some tasty morsel (mouse?) between one of the sacks ? Don't know. I saw a can of barn paint roll out the door, thought I'd surprised a burglar. Well, he did have a mask. Sweet corn requires an electric fence or we get zero ears.

Given a chance, they will drown a dog by climbing on the dog's head in water. Went one night with a hunter on his pontoon boat. Used a spotlight to see coons on the bank then beached the boat. Worked out pretty well.

alsaqr likes this.
  2. sheriffjohn

News Flash ...well, I just got my latest issue of Fur-Fish-Game and their "Fur Market Report". Coons don't bring much $3-$4 for Southern larger size "coat coons", northern $6-$10 if prime. BUT ! Coyotes are up to $100 for prime prairie hides, even buying some with gaping holes to be used as trim due to some garment makers using them to trim now-fashionable parkas. Lists everything from Wolf to squirrels. Fun reading.

Antlers $12-$15 a pound, Ginseng $600 -$700 pound, etc. Guess roadkill does have some value other than sausage, after all.

alsaqr likes this.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was squirrel hunting today and I decided to take a little break and maybe sit on this outcropping for a little while to relax. I got there and looked down to the river and saw what I first thought to be a beaver walking along. After I minute I noticed it was a coon. My dad came up behind me and we watched it for a little while. It acted a bit strange, my dad hit the predator call and it made no reaction at all to it. He wasnt sure it was sick so he told me not to shoot it. It stumbled off upstream so I followed it up high with the intention of killing it. I must have walked right past it because I didnt see it after that. I should have taken my shot when I had the chance, something was definitely wrong with it. 20200209_131746.jpeg 20200209_125726.jpeg

sheriffjohn, alsaqr and Rifling82 like this.
  4. sheriffjohn

After experiencing a Rabies Quarantine early in my career, I err on the side of caution dealing with sick-appearing mammals. Early spring sees movement of some dormant species, of which, in Missouri skunks are the most frequent carriers and can live for months with rabies. This time of year skunks (mostly insectivorous) find few insects to eat and roam around infecting other critters. "Dumb Rabies" sees stumbling, bumping into things, failed climbing, and lack of fear. The other stage/kind is vicious, running, biting everything, foaming, etc. Rabies treatment is not as painful as the old days but is very expensive. The alternative is to end up like Old Yeller.

There are other causes of sickness in wild stuff and rabies is quite rare these days but if you take precautions like vaccinating all pet and especially hunting dogs, it'll be ok.

SRK97 likes this.
  5. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Nah, I my self ain't really into coon hunting. I did set up a fox trap a few days ago hoping to catch a baby pig but of course ended up with a coon. :(

Anyone want him? wanting to give him to a loving and caring owner. Gentle cute coon, possibly has multiple diseases but besides that he make's a good stew! :D
    20200210_102817.jpg