Any Coon Hunters on Here ?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sheriffjohn, Feb 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Tonight I was privileged to be invited to attend some friend's "Combing Hides" Party, an annual celebration to prepare the year's furbearer harvest for market. I tried coon hunting a few times when I was in better shape but kept falling over stuff, bumping my head on limbs, and generally trying to keep up. This is a night-time affair. My invite was as a landowner of a creek bottom farm with LOTS of den trees, coons, possums, bobcats, and coyotes.

This was not a great year. Chris and his black and tan dog bagged 76 coons, five on my farm in one night. He has a good dog and being a lineman on our electric co-op is in great shape, comfortable running and climbing over stuff. We are curious as to what furbearer hides are bringing elsewhere. Right now he's thinking about $3.00 average for coons, $30 for otters and $40 for bobcats. Anyone ???

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I've been out with dogs a couple times not something that should be done cold sober!
    I don't know how the dogs manage not to lose their eyes running through brush in the dark!
    I keep them under control on my property but there is not going to be any chasing hounds through the woods after dark

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020

3. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

That's a lot of work for $3. How much are coyote hides going for?

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

My cousin David is big into coon hunting. He's done it for several decades,and has some really good dogs.
    I've got better things to do than chase dogs all over the country in the middle of the night.

locutus, freefall and Pasquanel like this.
  5. sheriffjohn

Don't know about coyote hide prices. He sells to a fur buyer, not an auction. Possums aren't worth skinning apparently. Trapper last night told me about an otter set he uses.

Using a 5-gallon bucket, he puts live goldfish in a clear glass jar, wired to the bottom of the bucket with a conibear kill trap above the jar. Bucket has holes. Whole rig tied to boat dock. Otter sees the goldfish, reaches in, and gets caught. We have a problem with otters at the marina where we keep our pontoon boat. Over the winter they climb on the docks, boats, etc. and what they don't mess up they crap on. Anyway..

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i know a couple guys who hunt coons and infrequently i tag along. Hunting dogs here are all too often killed by coyotes.

Fur here is worth next to nothing, climate is too warm.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  7. sheriffjohn

Years ago, Missouri had problems with "Coydogs", hybrids created when dogs mated with coyotes. Haven't heard anything of that in many years. Saw a young guy at Walmart with piercings, tattoos on his face, and green hair which may confirm that Sasquatches mate with really ugly humans.

8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

My father and i used to hunt coons, Back in the 70's and early 80's when hides were up. It was a lot of fun. Great exercise and father son time. Our best dog was a walker. We also had a black and tan and blueticks. We used back packs with a frame to carry the coons in,

sheriffjohn and alsaqr like this.
  9. alsaqr

Lived in WV for a few years after retiring from the US Army in October, 1979. While drawing un employment; Dad, a friend and i trapped a lot of raccoons, mink and bobcats. Fur prices were high then. i caught a 42 pound bobcat in a hanging snare baited with a drumstick. Friends wife has the fur as a stole.

We had a mixed breed dog: Snowball was a super raccoon and squirrel dog. She could pick up a day old coon track and bring the animal to bay. That poor dog could never figure out rabbits though, not even in the snow.

10. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sheriffjohn and alsaqr like this.
  11. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Years ago, I used to hunt almost every night, as a teen , and young adult until I went over the road .

The only time I " chased " my hounds was to walk to them when they treed. They would stay treed until daylight so there was no hurry.

We drove to the mouth of each hollow and turned out the dogs. They would hunt that hollow out and if they didnt strike a trail , they came back and we moved to the next hollow.
    I had a black and tan that was a great " roading" dog. Just let him out on a gravel road and he would run along in the headlights until he hit a track where a coon had crossed the road.

If they treed and I didnt have time before school or work to go to them I'd just pitch my coat out on the ground and they would be laying there with my coat that evening when I went back.

Havent coon or rabbit hunted since 05.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Had too many of them as pets to ever hunt them.:)

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  13. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Never hunted them, shot one off my porch when it went after my cat, tough critters to kill.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  14. sheriffjohn

Coons are possibly the smartest, meanest critters we have hereabouts. Coyotes are around, but we don't encounter them nearly as frequently as coons. I was told they will watch people (and dogs), then when you're asleep or in for the night do their ninja thing. One will find something good, return to others who smell their breath to see what's for dinner then come back to eat. We had them come through dog doors in two houses to raid our dogs' and cats' food. Hard to say how many chicken dinners we've fed to the little bandits. One pulled 1 x 4 boards loose to get into the hen house.

I have a video taken by our nephew from his treestand of a bobcat stalking a coon beneath him. Coon treed and bobcat sat down about 20 feet away, waiting. We've had coon a few times, mostly bar-b-q. Some was good, others I wouldn't put in my hand.

Ghost1958, W.T. Sherman and alsaqr like this.
  15. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

:Dthe funniest commercial featuring coons are made by GEICO. the coons stealing a garbage truck is one of my favorites:D

this a russian commercial...……...don't know what they are selling, but it's funny:D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    locutus, alsaqr and RKB like this.
  16. alsaqr

Our dog snowball ran coons too fast to work with other dogs. One time we were coon hunting with a cousin who had blue ticks. A big boar coon ran out of the woods, across the corner of a sheep pasture into another woods. Crossing the field a blue tick went berserk and killed a sheep.

Hunted coons in southern MD with a serious coon hunting Master Chief sailor and a couple of his Navy buds. Coon hunting in swamps can be hard on dogs and they lost a few.

One of those crazy sailors had a big Weimaraner. They asked me to go along to a raccoon dog tracking contest in PA. i declined, big mistake. The staff had a raccoon on a sled that they dragged through the woods. There was a situation where the dog was required to track the coon through the water. The coon was on a little boat pulled through the water by a rope.

Some hillbilly coon hunter inquired about the dog: "Recon that dog could track coons"? The sailor replied in the affirmative. The coon was pulled through the water, but not fast enough, because the Weimaraner caught up, boarded the boat and killed the coon. Someone exclaimed: "It won't fair, that dog has webbed feet".

sheriffjohn likes this.
  17. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

When raccoon activity gets too high I use a couple of bucket sets with 220 connibear traps.
    I was shocked at the damage a cornered coon could do to a pack of hounds, we had 2 redbone and three blue-tick. That ended my coon hunting with hounds forever.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Ya corner any animal and put it in a life/death situation, it's gonna fight like hell.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Y'all just evoked fond memories of my misspent youth- cold autumn nite with a few of my uncles, campfire on a hill top, coffee and a little bit of shine, listening to the dogs run and waiting to hear "treed".

No longer hunt them, but do have to trap them- they can be destructive as hell- will strip every apple, pear and peach from a fruit tree, take one bite and drop it. They destroyed over 100 hills of supersweet corn in one nite.

No more Mr. Niceguy- Hav-a-Hear live trap and a 22. Took 16 of them our first year.

As far as coyotes, not all counties in VA pay a bounty, but those that do pay $50 per 'yote.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  20. alsaqr

That is a good thing: Wish OK would pay bounty.

Jerry Clower's Coon Hunt:

sheriffjohn likes this.