Any CCW Fanny Pack users out there?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Wrecked, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

With spring and summer right around the corner I am considering a CCW fanny pack. I am a t-shirt, cargo shorts and Tevas kinda guy and don't think I can utilize an IWB holster. I have been looking at the Bagmaster Rip Cord. Any advice on fanny packs would be appreciated.

2. big_bad_kitty

big_bad_kitty New Member

I carry that way everyday and have for the last couple of years! Get a good one if you decide to go that route. I carry a Kimber Ultra Covert II with an extra magazine full of 45ACP's and it works great. Would not think of doing it any other way.

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Years ago when I got my first carry permit I bought a nice leather fanny pack/holster. I've never used it. Just sayin'

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want everyone to know you are carrying a fanny pack or a vest in the Summer is the way to go. I carry a full size 1911 under a color or print tee shirt just fine, and only the Shadow knows.

5. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

Thanks! I am probably going to carry my XD9 in the fanny pack. My G17 is great for winter, but I am pretty sure it won't be for a summer CCW.

6. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

I see your point. Maybe I'll get a FP and an IWB and see what works best for me. :)

7. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I carry every day in a shoulder bad aka man purse but I have everything I need in it and it works well for me.

image-3506167989.jpg
    Just what I use daily.

play the victim, be the victim

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree :cool:

9. First Sgt

First Sgt New Member

Hogwash!...The average "sheeple" has difficulties seeing their nose to spite their face....Carry the way you want and refine when you feel it's necessary...I'd much rather someone carry in a "fanny pack" or wear a "vest" than not carry at all...JMO

10. Viking

Viking Active Member

I see a fair number of guys with fanny packs when I'm in Grants Pass or Medford, Oregon and since I carry that way most frequently my guess is that probably 90% are carrying concealed. For a skinny guy like me it's rather hard to hide the size of weapon I carry though I do have a Bianchi Ranger Viper shoulder holster that is very comfortable to wear with heavier jackets. With more moderate weather I need to get a jacket shirt that's long enough to cover a high ride holster. For summer time I mostly wear t-shirts so I may have to spend some $$$ and get me a Kahr. Just have to figure how to breach that idea to my wife.

11. pdbonds

pdbonds New Member

I've recently purchased one of these to replace the rip cord type fanny pack. I'm not concerned about if people think I'm carrying... Hell I'd open carry if I could!

12. Viking

Viking Active Member

Here's my take on carrying a fanny pack, I'm just a skinny old guy with gray hair that's getting very thin on top. So to any bad guy I just look like some old harmless guy maybe because I have a fanny pack, just a bit effeminate and nothing to worry about, that kind of gives me the upper hand.

13. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Just say no to fanny packs.

14. fudo

fudo New Member

Why do people carry fanny packs or bags? As a place to carry valuables. A two legged rat will be focused on the bag and it will be the first thing that they will make you give up. You will be better off with a small guns in a pocket holsters, like a pair of S&W 642's, for example. (New York Reload.)

15. pdbonds

pdbonds New Member

You make a good argument, but the original point the thread author was making was how to conceal if you're a tshirt, shorts, and sandals person during the summer.

16. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

Exactly.

Plus the utility of having a few extra pockets never hurt. :)

17. Viking

Viking Active Member

Please understand, even though a fanny pack is what I use it doesn't mean I like it, in fact I don't. But I can't afford the firearm I want at this time which could easily be concealed with IWB so in staying with a large frame pistol I'm pretty much stuck with the most concealable holster possible for me and that's a fanny pack. With the shoulder holster I always have to have a jacket on which is bulky enough to not print what lies beneath and that can make for being too warm even on a somewhat cool day, especially when going inside heated buildings.

18. fudo

fudo New Member

I've been carrying guns for 38 years, every day that I wasn't in the hospital. I never carried in a fanny pack. Here, in Oklahoma, I have seen temperatures as high as 121. There is no open carry here, but carrying IWB or in a pocket holster is not a problem, and less of an invitation to thieves.

19. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

I have one the my father left me after he passed, I remember being a kid thinking it was nerdy till I realized what was in it, so I use it now n then works great when I'm out fishing the local canals hold my gun, id's, n tackle. Good to have item

20. levelcross

levelcross New Member

A fanny pack is not for me, but that is part of what makes this Country Great...having a choice. I know a lady that carries a fanny pack when she runs and rides her bike. She picked up a pocket holster for a LCP and carries her extra mag in it while in the fanny pack.

If a fanny pack gets you to carry everywhere and every day then I say go for it, like I said just not for me.