any body shot a bird at over 80 yrds. open sights

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by vito77, Nov 26, 2011.

1. vito77

vito77 New Member

marlin 22lr. open sights

2. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Free beer......

Yep, one at 80 the other at 100+, 2 birds 3 shots. ='s one 12 pack cold beer. 1976 Mod. 60 marlin glenfield......Shot one at over 200 but the gators got to it before I did......:eek::)

3. vito77

vito77 New Member

ya i shot birds, crows other critters 100 plus yrds. but most people dont believe you when you tell them. mine is the marlin mod 25 glenfield.

4. GLKmiester

GLKmiester New Member

Yep. I've taken out a few critters from around that distance. I grew up using the marlin model 60. We would sit at the top of my parents property and take out the birds, rabbits, raccoons, and possums that trespassed onto the farm.

5. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Quite a few, mainly with a Colt Woodsman.

6. Jamesaritchie

Jamesaritchie New Member

Sure. And hundreds of squirrels. Even a hundred yards isn't very far for a good .22 with iron sights, and the Marlin a great rifle. The real problem with iron sights isn't accuracy, it's that few people use them enough to get really good with them.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No, why would I want to kill a bird?
    Can't eat it :confused:

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Dude? Turkey day was last week. :rolleyes:

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah but I didn't kill it :p

10. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I have hit birds and rats at distances close to that. But to be honest with you when i did it was straight luck. Im not going to proclaim to be best shot out there.... or the worst im sure.

11. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

Were you at an ostrich farm?

12. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Once only. Dumb luck. I couldn't do it again with my life on the line in a million years :p

13. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

I was squirrel hunting with my heavily modified Crossman 2250 .22 air rifle (I know it isn’t a firearm but is shoots a predator pellet at 1250 FPS out of the muzzle) and this stupid blue jay was yapping and making a lot of racket. I figured I would scare it off with a shot so as it was flying overhead about 75 yards away I just aimed and fired … thing dropped right out of the sky … I nearly soiled my britches with disbelief at first. I thought it just died suddenly of natural causes totally coincidentally … till I went over to it and saw the pellet went in one ear and out the other …

14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Hypotheticaly shoting birds outta trees .aka Rook Shooting

I admit nothing, deny everything and demand proof.

Mr Game Warden I have never shot a Fed protected migratory non-game bird ever!!;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rook_(bird)

fessing up to this is like saying you jack light'd deer before or shoplifted.

15. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

So it's still alive? :confused:

16. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I may or may not have with a 10/22

17. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I keep my plinking limited to cans and such, even out to 200 yards with a .22. I don't believe in killing anything that does not wind up on the dinner table, except the occational rat, mouse or the two legged vermon that makes the wrong life choice..................

Jim........

18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Just in news about shooting in air

the Ohio man discharges his muzzleloader in air to unload it, and decending bullet strikes a amish gal on way home who eventualy dies from the shot.

Amish teen killed by stray bullet - The Washington Post

what goes up has to come down some place, New Years Eve 1990 some the residents of Barrow Alaska thought it was a good idea to discharge firearms at midnight to celebrate New Years Eve, I didnt have any telephone or cable Tv for 3 days after, lines were shot down all over town, one block in Browerville a electrical insulater had been shot, blowing the fuse for that grid

Kotzebue Windmill Farm sustained damage to two of there windmills from stray bullets by informal shooting along an access road.

Kotzebue National Defence radar -radome damage from stray bullets repair cost in thousands of dollars.

Attached Files: