Any body here hunt with a hand gun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CaptRickHiott, Jan 6, 2012.

1. CaptRickHiott

CaptRickHiott New Member

If so, what do you hunt for, and what size gun do you use?

I have a Taurus Raging Bull in a 454 Casull.
    I have killed six hogs with it so far,,,Deer is next on the list!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Not as my primary, but I carry a handgun as a secondary weapon sometimes. I carry 10mm, .45, and .44Mag hog hunting. And I carry a 627PC .357 deer hunting. Haven't had an opportunity to use the handgun. I always stick with the trusty rifle. Maybe one of these days I will get brave.

3. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

Squirrel, rabbit, deer, elk, moose, hog, prairie dogs (handgun is not my primary for this), and one buffalo. Have never gone after bear, but I would like to give it a try one day.

Calibers include .22lr, .38spec, .41mag, .44mag, .45Colt, 454 casull, 475 Linebaugh and .500 Linebaugh.

JW

4. CaptRickHiott

CaptRickHiott New Member

Nice collection! Whats your favorite?

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Nice looking revolver . Used a 357 DW revolver for 20 yaers on hogs. It had the 8" barrel with a red dot on it back then and used a 180gr HC bullet. Never had any issues with penetration. Break both shoulders most times or in the head and out the ,a, other end. Shot a couple deer with a 160gr sp.

6. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

All of them! LOL
    seriously though, if I had to choose just one, It would probably be my 6" Freedom Arms 454 but I would prefer it with a 4-5" barrel rather than the 6" tube. The 454 can be loaded from mild to wild and thus offers an incredible amount of flexibility with easily found components. Anything from 200grn semi wadcutters at less than 1000fps to 350+ grain hardcast lead to 1400fps+, it covers a wide range. I have never seen any other revolver that equals it in quality or accuracy. All in all, I believe it to be probably the best built revolver ever, in a caliber that offers incredible flexibility.

JW

7. CaptRickHiott

CaptRickHiott New Member

Does your Freedom Arms have a ported barrel?

I went to the range the other day and was shooting 6" groups @ 100yds with my Taurus! I could not believe it!

8. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

No holes in the barrel other than the one the bullet comes out of. Off the bench and sand bags I can pretty consistently hold 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. Have never mounted a scope on it to test the true accuracy potential of the gun/load combo.

JW

9. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Would it be practical to hunt with a semi-auto handgun? It seems like the accuracy would be much lower than a revolver. If you could, what caliber would be a good one for deer/hog hunting with a semi-auto? I kind of like the idea of easily carrying a handgun instead of long gun into the woods.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard tell that the desert eagles were originally meant for hunting and target. I've never shot one and can't give a review, but they're supposedly very accurate with their fixed barrel. There's also the 460 Rowland, supposedly gives .44 mag performance from a 1911. Again, one of those I haven't had the pleasure of checking out personally.

But yes, there are semi auto options out there.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

captinrick Does your revolver shoot better with hot 45lc or down loaded 454s. or have you tried that.

12. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

In a compact pistol, the 460 Rowland and the .45 super are probably two top choices for game that can be hunted with .44 magnum class cartridges. In the larger framed guns, check out the AMT automags and the Wildey magnums, and of course the Dessert Eagle. I owned a DE in .50AE years ago and was very pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the gun, but it is definitely big and heavy. A good compromise is the L.A.R. Grizzly chambered in .45 Winchester Magnum. It is basically a 1911 on steroids. Still a large frame gun, but much smaller than the DE and other similar platforms.

10mm and .45ACP are also reasonably suitable for medium, light framed animals such as deer and possibly even medium sized hogs, but shot placement will be critical on the tougher hogs and similar game. With either of these cartridges, I would suggest a well developed hand load with proper bullets for hunting or one of the offerings from Buffalo Bore. In either one, I would select a bullet with a large meplat, weighing in at around 200grns and then developed a load delivering around 1000fps in the .45 and 1200 in the 10mm. I would shy away from jacketed hollow points and stick to a good quality hard cast, non-expanding bullet.

The best advice I can give is to have a detailed knowledge of the anatomy of the animal you are hunting, and place your shot precisely. Just aiming for the chest cavity is not good enough. You need to know where to place the bullet from various angles to insure hitting vital organs. Also keep in mind that larger bones, such as shoulders, will soak up a lot of energy, and thus penetration on quartering shots. Broadside shots are probably best until you gain some experience.

JW

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Sane here man. I have two bulls-one is 454 and the other is 44 mag. Deer and pigs especially a blast w it

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I killed a deer with my colt during rifle season so ya a 45 acp will do it. Of course this was at 5 yards out of a ground blind bout 5 mins before o-dark thirty.

p_00174.jpg

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If its like mine it about the same.

16. CaptRickHiott

CaptRickHiott New Member

I dont reload ammo MarlinMan,,,so I cant comment on that.
    The 454 loads dont bother me with the recoil.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Me neither but it does bother my fiancee target shootin

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I reload ya but usually shoot factory lc

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I use a Glock 20-SF as my bowhunting sidearm...anti-bear/hog protection :)

I probably won't use it for hunting until I get the Longslide & barrel...gotta get the most out of the 10mm round :D