Any bird brains here?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jo da Plumbr, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Anyone know what kind of bird this is?

He was sitting on top of my building this morning giving me the evil eye. :eek:

Very cool looking bird of prey whatever he is.

Attached Files:

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Falcon..........

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

That was my guess, but what the hell is a faclon doing sitting on a highrise in Beverly Hills?

4. opaww

opaww New Member

They get around we got them in Louisville, or on the outskirts of Louisville

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hunting pigeons, no doubt. Falcons have taken over Manhatten. The high rise buildings closely mimic their natural cliff side nesting sites. There is an abundance of food for them as other birds are their normal meals. With hundreds of thousands of pigeons flying around, it is a falcon buffet.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Peregrine Falcon to be exact. They have the widest range of any falcon species.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Maybe he was waiting for Tiffany's to open. Get himself some bling.

Thanks for the info guys

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

It's a Peregrine Falcon to be exact and they are common in and around cities, especially around high rise buildings. The Peregrine falcon is the fastest animal in the world and can reach speeds over 200 mph!

They eat other birds and rodents, they especially like pigeons. :cool:

Jack

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The distinctive hooded head is a giveaway. Very cool. We have lots of red tail hawks, harris hawks and now more than a few caracaras around here, but don't see many falcons.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

This is the first time I've gotten close enough to take a good photo. I had another building I ran that had a resided BOP. It would sit on one of the ledges and toss pigeon pieces down on folks in the courtyard.

11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Liberal hunt!

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

No wonder he looks so fat and happy. Easy pickings.:D

13. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

thats awesome!!!

they had some re intorduction programs with peregrines in chicago due to the skyscrapers and plentiful pigeon(skyrat) population as well.

one early morning walking the pooch, i got to witness one perched on top of a pigeon, in the middle of a softabll field, tearing away.....cool:cool:

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Mother Nature at Her Best!

They have learned to adapt to a world over taken by humans. It's a beautifull site to see one of these birds of prey take a pigdon in flight, see feathers fly from the hit. They are found in most in citys with tall buildings and an abundance of ( flying rats }...:eek:

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Beautiful birds and very necessary in the balance of nature. We had a bunch of hawks at Ft Mac in Atlanta and they kept the rodent population in check...

16. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I was in a golf tournament last Friday. On the fifth hole we are ready to Tee off when a good size Hawk(?) came diving out of the sky into the lake next to the fairway. He missed on the strike, but climbed again to say 100ft then dove again. He dove into the water three times with no luck then moved off. That was the best part of the tournament.

17. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Yup. Some of the wine vineyards up here build nests to attract them. They eat the pest birds that eat the grapes.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice pics! I had the fun of watching some kind of hawk or BOP take down a pigeon in midair one day, while walking to get lunch downtown (the only place intown with a building over 3 stories). It was awesome. Saw a similar incident one evening in the yard; immediately counted my cats.

19. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

The fabled Foo-bird?

20. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

Peregrine Falcon
    City's around here bring them in to kill the pigeons.