Any advice please

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by 45JMB, Mar 8, 2013.

1. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Hi I am 16 years old and I would love to follow my passion to shoot competitively but there's two problems fist off I'm 16 (going to 17 in spetember) and the other is I live in California. Any words of advice? Thanks

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Offer your services at some competition (with parent's permission).
    Pick up brass, offer to help setup courses of fire, input scores into the computer, etc....

Odds are, someone will ask if you want to try.

3. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Get hold of an NRA publication, or go online. Post the question to them. There are NRA affiiates nationwide that can help point you in the right direction. And dan's idea is perfect as well. Go to a range and talk to them. Show up at the shoots and talk to people. Everyone started somewhere at some time in place and most are very happy to help new shooters get started.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

There is a 12 year old that shoots in my IDPA club. Are you talking pistol or rifle. His father shoots with him. My son is 14 and could join in. But he prefers rifle shooting.

5. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

You're not too young. I started shooting at 13, that was 52 years ago. The NRA would be a good place to start, but only with your parents permission. good luck

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

There a viral video on the net right now of a 13 year old girl shooting 3-gun and doing pretty damn good.

Go after it.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Parental involvement is required until you hit 18. Sporting clays is a great starting spot. Its still allowed for now in california.

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I started shooting in Bullseye competition when I was a teen, but my father was a Bullseye shooter and just sorta followed him into it. There was not problem with me shooting, but I don't remember if I had to have an adult to sign off on it.

9. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Move........

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Agree.........