Any advice on a good company?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Alwayscarrying, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Alwayscarrying

Alwayscarrying New Member

Now that I have my PSA in 5.56, I'm looking to build/buy a .308 AR. Any recommendations from the gurus here?

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Wow you got it bad.......

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Same things apply to AR10s. But parts are not so standardized with this platform. You need to be careful when you order parts.

So, intended use? Ranges? Budget?

4. Alwayscarrying

Its intended for range and precision. Its more for my little brother than myself since he's not a big fan of the mosin I bought.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

From what I understand the Armalite pattern has the edge in precision. It's a little more expensive and magazines are harder to find and more expensive.of course not all things are equal.if you're buying it for your brother, DMPS is more cheaper still very accurate and youcan use the cheaper pmags.

If you just want some suggestions take a look at, Noveske, LWRC REPR, POF,LMT, LaRue OBR for top of the line complete rifles.

6. Alwayscarrying

DPMS is what i was originally looking at. Particularly the LR-308 classic. Looked at Armalite but couldn't justify the money for it.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I have a DPMS LR308B - it's an excellent rifle and very accurate. When getting into the AR10 platform bear in mind that there are 2 distinct platforms - Armalite and DPMS, the 2 are not compatible/interchangeable.

With that said have you given any thought to building your own? The AR platform is rather simple to learn/understand and the AR10 is pretty much a scaled up version. Somewhere between the cost of a DPMS and an Armalite you could have yourself a very good, very accurate rifle, built by you ;)

8. Alwayscarrying

Ive thought about building one for sure but i dont know.

9. Alwayscarrying

Im more than willing to build one actually but can't justify the cost of doing it for a first time 308.

10. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

Can't go wrong w Colt... I've had mine for 3 years and it's never disappointed me!

11. Alwayscarrying

Didnt even think about a colt due to some sub-par military issue weapons. How does your colt perform?

12. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

Performs great.... I have a couple thousand rounds through it and I've never had a malfunction. And I bout some dirty wolf ammo as my first 500 rods I put through it... Only because I was new to guns and was just looking for the cheapest option to shoot as much as I could haha... I couldn't be happier. I bought it new for 1300 and that was when they had the military contract. My buddy built one and only saved a couple hundred bucks. IMO I'd rather spend the extra couple hundred and have the colt name behind all the parts on it.

13. Alwayscarrying

About how much did you give for it?

14. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

How much did I pay for my Colt M4? It was around $1200 + taxes

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Colt is working on the 901 which will do .308 and 5.56.

Alwayscarry, don't base your impressions on the ragged shot out Colts in your arms room. Sounds like you guys may need a new armorer.

16. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

I actually have a great armorer who's never steered me wrong... Couldn't be happier with every purchase I've made from him.

17. Alwayscarrying

I wasn't ruling colt out entirely, just wasn't a major player at first. Rethinking that one for sure. Any other good suggestions? And our armorer is pretty lazy about his job.

18. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

Daniel Defense, Rock River Arms are another two good ones

19. Alwayscarrying

Ive heard anything DD is pretty much the gospel on ARs but ive not heard much of RRA

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

........u guys still talking about .308 win, 7.62 nato?