Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
STG-58
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that cheap surplus 7.62x54R was available from the mid 1980's all the way up until just a couple years ago, I'm surprised that more shooters never bought semi-auto rifles to shoot this round. I do understand that most people who don't tend not to be fans of shooting corrosive ammo - which isn't any big deal in an easy-to-clean rifle like the Mosin Nagant.

That said, I've always enjoyed shooting larger calibers - especially when ammo is dirt cheap. Unfortunately, there are very few options when it comes to 54R semis. I picked up a few various cases of the Chinese 54R back when it was $59 a case - which was ~$30 a case cheaper than 7.62x39. After cooling on the idea of an NMD-86, I stopped buying for a few years.

We all know what happened to the Chinese guns and ammo, but then Mosins and European 54R started coming in. When the PSL-54c's became available, I got interested again. While SVDs and Tigrs were always expensive and hard to find parts for, the PSL guns were far more affordable.

The main problem with the PSL was that some were made in the original factory (the best ones I think) abd then there were others built from the plentiful PSL kits that were easy to find - some by rather poor builders unfortunately..

I wound up going with an original factory Cugir model as well as one of the "short PSLs" built by Waffenwerks. I also picked up one of the kits and a receiver and am building that one into a "para-model" using a folding stock from CNC Warrior.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

The Shorty had major issues from get-go, but Waffenwerks stood behind their gun 100%. My dealer rep went out of his way to find a kit that appeared to have been unfired and rebuilt my rifle on that kit and it's been superb. The Cugir ran right out of the box - so I'm really happy with my PSLs and just hope I do as good with the one I'm building.

I'd be embarrassed to admit how much surplus 54R I bought up. I kept going until it hit $160 a case and called that enough.. Then came the VEPR rifles and I decided to grab one of those too. The VEPR is very nicely made and had the parts I wanted available for my project. I went with kind of an SVDS-style knockoff.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

I didn't really get much time to shoot the VEPR before I had to pack everything up to move, but I'm looking forward to having some time to work with it.

I really like the 54R so I may pick up an SG-43 Gory kit if I find one, or maybe one of the variants of the PKM to shoot this heavily over-looked cartridge.

At the very least, I won't run out of ammo for my collection of Mosin-pattern rifles anytime soon.

·
Administrator
27,379 Posts
Have 3 different M-N models- and a lifetime supply of ammo for them. I was paying 6 cents a round for sealed Russian spam cans.

But I also shoot 8mm, 30-06, .308 and .303 Brit. All MILSURP- but my supply of the Greek .303 is getting thin. Probably down to one zombie apocalypse.

You have some good looking shooting irons here.

·
Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
11,297 Posts
Just one 91/30, a Tula 1936 hex, and enough ammo to keep it running for a while. Good shooter but the bolt leaves a lot to be desired when compared to a nice Mauser. I should have bought an m39 while they were still reasonable.

·
Registered
STG-58
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm kind of ashamed to admit how thin my Mosin collection is... I only have a T-53 (Chinese copy of M44) and a Sako 28/30. Many years ago (1990's) a number of unissued Polish M44's came in. I'd like to pick up one of those next time I stumble across one. Would also like a Russian M38.

I guess it never ends to how many of these things a guy can own and never feel like it's too many.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Loaned am old Moisin to a friend for deer hunting every year. Every year, he got his deer. Original box of shells still had several left when he finally got his own deer rifle. Bought in the 60's, rifle was less than $25 back then. Traded it for a carbine - same cartridges but very loud and not much use for the bayonet - so far.

·
Registered
STG-58
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not much use for the bayonet - so far.
Sometimes I go shooting in places where it's muddy and since I always bring multiple guns to shoot, I love the spike bayonets for just "poking it into the ground" while I shoot my other guns. Saves my back not having to bend down to retrieve my rifle too! 😊

One time I had my rifle stuck in the ground - where I don't think it wanted to let go of the rifle. So I gave warning to my shooting partners and then touched one off to use the recoil to extract the gun from the ground..

The up-side is that most of the comblock bayos are cheap and plentiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts