Any .17hmr other than Taurus?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by aandabooks, Aug 14, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Recently added a Savage .17hmr to the collection and with my current fascination with revolvers I started thinking a revolver would be a nice addition. Any makers other than Taurus make one? The Taurus is just under $500 with the 6" barrel so something in this price range would be nice.

2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Ruger Single Six 17 HMR is one sweet revolver.

[​IMG]

3. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I'm not trying to be difficult here, to each there own and all that, but what is the desire for such a tiny caliber in a handgun?

Just caliber compatibility between your rifle and handgun? I get that. Otherwise I'd actually prefer the .22 LR or .22 WMR from a handgun. I'm not a .17 expert other than the bolt-action my brother-in-law owns but it seems like a very good rifle round if you know what I mean.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Caliber compatibility and I already have 4 .22 handguns. Don't own a .22wmr yet.

5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Makes sense. I like the Taurus revolvers myself but if I was going to shell out the money I haven't heard a single Ruger owner complain about the Single Six. Granted, they were all .22 LR owners though. Still, probably hard to go wrong.

6. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Great looking gun but way out of what I'm willing to spend. The Ruger looks like a good option. If it's DA/SA I might have to track one down.

8. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Sadlyis, it is really really expensive, which stinks because it is a really cool gun.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Found a Ruger tonight at a local farm store for $369. The clerk told me that the price might be due to the gun being discontinued from the store. It has a different price ending than other guns in the case.

Didn't have the cash due to buying a Henry Varminter .17hmr earlier in the day. Maybe the Ruger will still be there next week. If not I guess it isn't meant to be.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The 17 hmr is pretty anemic in a rifle. Many 22 wmr revolvers have a 22 LR cylinder. Federal makes 50 gr wmr rounds that would be suitable for a pistol. Then you have the dinosaur 22 wr. It's loaded with a 45 grain bullet that has a velocity of 1,300 fps. The 22 wr is one of the best rabbit rounds I have ever used. The 22 wr has plenty of knockdown with it's flat nose and it doesn't destroy much meat. Trappers like the 22 wr because it has the power to take out larger animals without damaging the pelt.

All in all a 22 wmr is a lot more versatile than the 17 hmr.

12. butterbones

butterbones New Member

Heritage makes the rough rider in .17 also. And cheap

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

S&W has one,..but i doubt it's cheap....