Anton Chekhov's gun. 3 minute video

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Antiques Roadshow - Chekhov's Gun. Maybe this should in Safety & Training?

[ame]http://youtu.be/aqKAzGadmYo[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Was that for real or what..? :confused:

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Im pretty sure that wasn't Pete Best's snare drum. I don't know about the rest of it though.

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you watch the closing, it shows the studio that filmed it. I believe the website's name was BoatComedy.com

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

or the other title, "How Not To Handle A gun Loaded Over A Hundred Years Ago!":p

6. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I love Antiques Roadshow. Funny. :)

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Of course it was a joke. Antone Chekhov was a writer of children stories at the turn of the 20th century. That fake flint lock was a copy of a 16th century English Traveling pistol. That said, Who ever did the skit should receive an academy award.:)

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good stuff! I thought it was real until the balloon popped. Lmao

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This was a play on Chekhov's comment on the art of stage drama. If a gun is hanging on the wall, he wrote, it must fire in the end. Meaning, everything has to be there for a reason, the rest should be cut off. Perhaps someone has missed the pun.

He was a playwright and short story writer of world renown. He never wrote for children, although his classic works have been included in the grade school curricula.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

So, . . he wasn't a hockey player?

11. Chekhov was not a hockey player of any repute. Who knows what he did during bouts of writer's block. Actually, Anton Chekhov was famous for two things: One was his collaboration with Franz Liszt which resulted in the Chekhov-Liszt. The other thing is that his 19th generation grandson served aboard the USS Enterprise as a helmsman. :rimshot!:

I was suspicious when I saw the hokey mustache on the appraiser.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

He never wrote children's books? His books are a part of contemporary children's literary experience? Literary history is a matter of adoption over time. I suspect they do not teach this at the "University Of Wikipedia".:rolleyes:

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Chekhov was not a writer of children's books. Nor was Shakespeare whose works are also read in grade school. Being a doctor, Chekhov used Latin expressions often and even coined some. One comes to mind: sarcasmus senilis.