antirotational handguard screws?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bclark1, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

I have a yhm handguard on an ar15 of mine and I was wanting to switch it out however the antirotational screws are very antirotational and I cand seem to get them undone. Anyone know how to get these screws out?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Was any thread locking compound added to the screws when they were installed? If there was, you may need to apply some heat to the screws to melt the thread locker. Small propane torch would work. Once the thread locker starts smoking around the threads, you should be able to back the screws out.

3. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Yes some thread locker was used ill try adding head thanks.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Uhh....nevermind. I won't go there. I did say heat, right?

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

There is a Bunker thread just begging for that one. :eek:

6. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Haha I meant heat :)

7. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Tried using heat and got one out but could not get the other unstuck and ended up with some nasty gashes near the screw from the drill I was using slipping out.:(

8. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Heat should work. I use a plumbers torch and don't blast it with the heat all at once. I like to use propane, not mapp, and apply the heat for a few seconds wait a second apply more, etc... I found it you use too much heat all at once strange things might happen to the finish etc... Better to be gentle. And might want to wear leather gloves.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

No worries, your receiver's got character now......:D

10. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Ya i will have to come up with some good story on how I got those scratches.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

bclark,

Here is a picture of the torch used to heat screws and castle nuts and other items that have had thread locker put on them when installed. Hopefully they used Blue Loctite not Red. But with heat and persistence they should come out. The only thing that scared me is you said you used a drill! Not good a good larger hollow ground Screw Drive is best for any armorer work. As far as the scratches order your self some Birchwood Casey Aluma Black Metal Finish. Clean the area off with a good break and parts cleaner or gun scrubber to remove any lubrication. Then get a Quetip, dip it in the Metal Finish. Before applying the Metal Finish to the area heat the area with the torch for 5 seconds or so from about 3.5"-4" inches away from the surface. When it gets warm apply the metal finish. Then repeat the process a few time (Less the parts cleaner of course!) and it will do a good job on any dark anodized surface on aluminum. If you did not damage the surface badly you will never tell it was damaged. If it was damaged it will not fill in the gouges but will cosmetically cover the scrapes up so they are not readily visible.

Attached Files:

12. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Thanks that snall torch looks perfect ill try to find something like that and I admit I knew at the time using the hand drill was not a good idea but I had already tried a hand impact wrench and everything else I could think of and could not get it to budge so I thought I would just try it.