Antique pre 1900 Winchesters

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hkhunter, Nov 8, 2013.

1. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

Have 3 lever guns that have been in my family a long time-100 years. My kids aren't into the old western stuff so I took them to Cabelas today to see what they would give me for them. A model 92, 94, and 95. They are in average condition and the bores are little rough.
    Would it be better to have them appraised and sell online or are there any brick and mortar places that would be good? Compared to what I found online their offer was about 10-20% of the going prices.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

10%?! Leave them to your children. They'll come around.

3. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

Thanks I was thinking about keeping them, but wasn't wanting to save cash for a new handgun.
    Have two in college and another one going in next year.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Cabelas will pay 70 % of the retail value on guns that are above average. I have had them bid on Lugers and Bergmans in the $2,000 to $10,000 dollar range. We have never agreed on their 70% ceiling.
    They make their buys mostly from estates. Grandpa dies leaving a fine collection of fire arms. The famly sells them fast for cash. The kids buy a new cell phone a Jap Motor cycle and waste the rest.:rolleyes:

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Local gunshops will likely sell them on consignment for you. Some will give you an accurate estimate of the value in your area also. Unless you are a skilled collector it would be difficult to appraise your own Winchesters just going by what someone else is 'asking' for theirs on the internet. There are many things to look for that the average person would never know.

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

There was a classifieds section here, but I can't find it.
    Post some pictures, and tell us the calibers. I'm sure there are folks here that can tell you their approx. value.

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

I also agree with gun shops selling them for you on consignment. I've sold a few this way.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You will be better off having them appraised by a professional,and then selling them yourself.
    If you sell them on consignment,you will be losing money that you could have in hand.
    I've sold many firearms on the internet gun auctions over the years,mainly Gunbroker.com. It's simple,safe,and very easy.It also will get you the largest opportunity for people to see the guns.If you put them on consignment in a gun store,only the people that go there will see them.

9. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

That's what I will do