Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by user4, Oct 22, 2010.

1. user4

user4 New Member

Where's a good place to get them without a prescription. Are they easy to make? What type of shelf life are we looking at? Can animal antibiotics be used with humans?

Simple things like antibiotics will be overlooked in the grand scheme of things when people are bugging out.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Not sure about the animal ones or making them. They can be bought in Mexico pharmacies without a prescription.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Veterinary supply houses and feed stores generally have them. Most animal medications are the same stuff we humans take, but theirs are much cheaper.

4. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Anti-botics

Hello all, RON L here

Here in WV and many other states we have a series of stoirs called "Farm and Fleet", well now called Tractor Supply and yes they stock vet meds at prices better than meds, as well syringes and other medical items! The Meds are lose to the same and for Emergency use as long as the dosages are set for humans will work just as well! Check your Local Feed or Simular Place, many Pet stores stock Anti-biotics for Fish same stuff smaller dosages! Just a few Idea's for ya all?

RON

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shelf life depends on the UNOPENED meds. Some are refrigerated, some dry pills.capsules, some reconstituted with water before use. As the folks have said, yes, most animal meds may be used on people in an emergency. Tractor Supply, Southern States, Farm & Feed, etc. Do some research before simply walking in and saying "I want to buy all your drugs and needles". Country folks would not be above showing you the door with an axe handle.

Question- how well do you and your doc know each other? Mine knows that I hunt and backpack remote areas. He is willing to give me a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain meds, replace every year. MOST antibiotics have a shelf life because they lose effectiveness. They are not BAD, just don't work as well.

6. user4

user4 New Member

Thanks for all the info and ideas! Sadly, I don't have a "friendly" doctor to give me the hook up. I think a nice variety of bug out meds is a good idea just in case.

7. RONSERESURPLUS

Yes but!

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I know the Meds are talking about can be had if one has a Med Friendly Doc, but if we buy Vet meds and are carefull in thise use, they stand up just as well as human meds, do, are cheaper and over the counter no paperwork assigned to gt, all facts that one should consider!

I'vve had Anti-boitics as well as pain meds for a vet source and been using them for years, I just follow the Human doses and that works! Your on your own, but I see it far better than meds from mexico that I have seen to be bad or wrong!

RON

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Everyone saying that the animal meds are the same as human meds is absolutely correct. There is no actual drug mfr that makes "animal only" meds, especially with antibiotics. Heck, even before "designer steriods", people took anabolic 'roids that were generally used on large animals like horses and cows. Mammal is mammal.

Feed supply stores, friendly family doctors, paramedic relatives, drug company sales reps and your pet's Vet are good sources of antibiotics. Shelf life depends on the the drug itself, and just like the sell by date on many foods, you can overrun the date with relative safety. With anitbiotics, if you are way past the date, they are just not as effective as when new. Of course, I am speaking in general terms.

Over the counter topicals are a must have in any kit and they are a good first line of defense. For internal infections, depening upon whether they are viral or bacterial, those antibiotics won't do any good anyway.

Great thread!

9. RONSERESURPLUS

Thanks all!

Hell all, and thanks, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I thought this was indeed a great thread and thanks to all that contributed, in a world where so many want to say they know it all, glad to see some that actually do? LOL Thanks again and I look forward to other good posts here!

RON

10. chopkick

chopkick New Member

When the SHTF, my first target is the nearest pharmacy. When everyone else will be stealing Big Screen Plasma TV's and Escalades, I will be getting survival meds at the local Walgreens that is just 2 blocks from my house.

11. RONSERESURPLUS

Well, Be beter to have the meds, Before thr SHTF?

Chop, while I agree that many will be looting and stealing all sorts of nonesence like Electronics, Escelades and more, waiting to get the meds till asfter the WHTF, is a Poor plan! As Cheap and easy as they are to get from sources already mentioned here, risking your life to copete with the Drug users and other assorted ***---holes, is to me a POOR Plan? What's the old adage Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it"? Right?

RON

12. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

All I can say is you arent going to be the only person thinking about "borrowing" medication from a pharmacy in a shtf scenario. What i would suggest is becoming intimately familiar with what certain molds look like... i.e. penicilium. you CAN eat this particular mold and it will have the effect (to a lesser degree) of penicillin. I tried to find a picture on the interwebz but i was unable to do so but basicly it is kinda tan colored and looks smooth.... well that doesnt help much. Find some pics on the web or at your local library and memorize what it looks like it just might save your life some day.

p.s. They discovered penicillin when doctors noticed a patient who had eaten (cant remember what kind of food it was but i think it was cheese) with mold on it miraculously get better from his current sickness he had before and they connected the dots. So it does work... probably wont taste the best though

13. RONSERESURPLUS

Hmm, Before I would go with "Home Grown"?

Hmm, well I do understand your need to think about obtaining supplies ya might need by other means, But as I had said, I feel having it "BEFORE THE FACT" would be a far more Prudent plan than Getting it from a Store by looting or growing your own? The meds are avail from many sources, not all that expensive and easy to get, so, why not stock up now and rotate and eliminate the need to have to 'OBTAIN" them by other means or worse yet, rely on Home Grown cures that might not work, or worse might be adverse to your health? Yes, many scienticif and or medical items were discovered by axcident, including the Atom bomb! Again, I still feel better the Have it and not need it, then need it and not have it, then you'd have to Obtain it by other means or try and grow it and hope you get it right?

RON

14. camiller

camiller New Member

1. penicillin is a lite blue/green mold.

2. While using mold dates back to the middle ages, nobody really understood what was happening. The initial discovery was not in a patient but rather a petri dish. A plated culture of Staphylococcus had been left open and become contaminated by a mold. In an area around the mold growth of the bacteria was absent.

3. You are not going to produce enough via mold to be useful. In the documented instances where moldy bread was used, it was used topically not ingested.

Edit: Didn't realize how old this was before I posted, sorry for the thread necromancy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011