Anti-Rust Tactics

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Cowboy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum. I love shooting, but because of a busy work schedule my guns often sit for long periods of time between use. I always clean and oil them after trips to the range, but is there anything special I can do to them (or something I can put in the gun safe with them) that will help prevent rust?

I haven't had any problems yet, but you never know...

2. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Put a dehumidifier INSIDE the safe. Some safes come configured with this, or at least have the mountings for a dehumidifier.

3. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Rust is the enemy

Take mine out about once a month spray with gun oil atomizer quick wipe have never had a spec of rust in 40 years.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Put a dehumidifier inside the safe as Thorshammer recommended. The best 1 (the 1 I use) is the Goldenrod.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

make sure the safe you have isnt lined with foam. that stuff will attract moisture. keeping guns in a foam lined container for extended time you might as well store em in sea salt.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Bloody hell Kane

You must be loaded man.

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

How would a container of Damp-rid inside the safe go, does anyone know?

Someone at my club is having trouble with rust on a bolt in his newish Savage .22; since the range safe is in a ramshackle-falling down wooden building on site (right near the ocean). He keeps everything well-oiled every week, but it doesn't seem to be helping :confused:

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What's already been suggested works. May I also suggest silicone gun socks. They're pretty inexpensive and they work well. :cool:

10. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Thanks CA, will definately mention that idea to him :) Dehumidifiers aren't an option for range-storage.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

How many message boards are you going to post the same exact question and get the same exact answers?

12. sheriffoconee

sheriffoconee New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I use car wax on my blue steel firearms to protect them from rust. Not the liquid, but the paste car wax....just like waxing a car, put a dab on the applicator and put it on in small circles, covering all of the exposed metal. Let it dry to a haze, and buff it off with a clean cloth, or a clean applicator.
    no rust, no fingerprints, and it makes the blue shine like it is new....

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Riddle me this...why is it bad to store a firearm in foam and yet when you buy just about any firearm its encased in foam or is that something else that looks like foam and is something akin to silicone?

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Good question.. Most of my long guns are stored in gun cabinets that are lined with foam. they've been stored that way for years and no rust. I keep a few desicant bags inside the cabinets which may be helping. If not in a cabinet, they are all stored in cases or gun socks. Pistols and revolvers the same way. No rust..