Answer some of these questions

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by purehavoc, Jun 28, 2013.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Be honest with what your currently prepared for if this happened today . I dont want to see someone saying they have 365 days worth of food and water if they truly dont have it stashed away and in their possession . Copy and paste and plug away everyone .
    I will do the same and post it up

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The pantry would run bare after three or four weeks. Fish and game after that.
    What could cause all the vehicles to stop?

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Good question that nobody can answer :D Follow the rules now

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

EMP killed the vehicles electronics. Solar flare or man made. I'd be walking home. It would take about 6 hours. Then I'd load up my guns. After that, well, I can't say but I can assure you I WILL feed my family...one way or another.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Memorial Day weekend, I was over @ my younger brother's house and asked him if he had a 4" or 6" well pipe, and I offered to make him a well-bucket. He laughed and then went outside and declared "***** is a prepper!" (He had had several beers).

NO well-bucket for him! Now he'll have to barter for a well-bucket, if he wants one from me!

Once I make home, which is about a 12 mile walk, thru mostly lightly populated ex-urbs/ rural, we are seriously good for 6 to 9 months. And longer on certain things.

My wife on the other hand, is 18 miles from home, but only 4 1/2 to 5 miles from her father's farmette, which is not prepared. She'll probably head there and then we'll have to figure something out!

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep- can walk home. Fair distance, but can do it. And yes, have a BOB in the trunk of the car. Small one. Calories, water, shelter, tools, first aid. Sidearm and ammo.

When I get home, if MY electrical is fried (my own backup) then we are about to make a hell of a batch of soup/ stew/ chili, and can it. Before what is in the freezer goes bad,

Water? Have a well. Have bucket/ chain for immediate use.

Food? About 6 months.

Reach out to neighbors. They help me, I help them. Look for people that may be trying to walk into our areas that do not live there.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Would take me about 10 min to walk home 9/10 of a mile and small town .. Food we would be good for 45-60 days feeding 4 full sized mouths 3 times a day . I have 4600 gal of clean drinking water and a portable backpack filter if needed . Generator is always ready with 110 gal of fuel , which should keep us going for a while . Lots of stocked lakes to fish and game to hunt within 1/4 mile . We could probably go for a long long time if you can come and go freely without being hunted yourself. We also have a neighborhood plan with a few friends that have good skills

8. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

10 mile hike would get me home. I have 2 wells but would have to install the pitcher pump on one of them for water. Food supplies for only 2 wks. for myself, wife and youngest son. Plenty of game and fish where I live but would probably have to compete for it. Firearms and ammo definitely not a problem. My main concern would be for my oldest son and his family who live 25 miles from us. I would have to add more provisions to my bob, then head out for them.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I could walk the 8 miles to home. I always have a handgun locked up in the car or motorcycle. I would grab it for sure. I do not have a BOB in the truck. I had a cheap back pack. But someone stole it. I have plenty of preps at home. But a lot of it is frozen. Power out would be a problem. We could survive on canned stuff for close to a month. Trying to bug out on foot would be tough. I do live within about 1 1/2 miles of the Colorado River. Water would not be a problem. Fishing is abundant here. Hunting is a little further away. We have bicycles. But no trailer. I used to have a trailer that carried equipment behind a bicycle. Maybe time to build another. I have ridden long distance through the mountains on a bicycle. It is not for the faint of heart. I would try to stay home as long as possible. Guns and ammo would not be an issue. I could arm the entire neighborhood myself. I have lots of camping equipment that does not require electricity. Coleman stove, lantern, propane heater that is safe indoors are all good things to have. My coleman stove runs on gasoline. There will be plenty around if none of the cars run anymore.

I think the most difficult part would be trying to communicate with the rest of the family. My mom and my 4 siblings live within a 20 minute bike ride. But how do you know if they will be there?

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Walk home.
    Arm up.
    Get the bow, the traps, and the fishing rod.
    Get the fire starting kit.

EMP strikes suck. Hope others learned to live primitive.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Walk home. My office to the house is less than an hour.

We could probably last a few weeks. Water would be the important limiter. May try to bike to my parent's place 25 miles away in a small town before panic sets in here in the city.

Eventually, I'm screwed.

12. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

Walk home with my day bag ( firearm, first aid kit, flashlight, etc.). It's about 10 miles and would be nighttime. Get home, talk with neighbors in morning, work out what's going on. Have wood burning stove to cook with, about 2 full years of wood. If determined crisis will be longer than 2 weeks then ill grab my bow and go hunting. Woods are about 1/4 mile away. Also ocean is close and full of fish

13. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Get home and arm up first off I like C3s idea with the little bob in the trunk for the walk home.
    Start fishing an hunting spotlighting if need be,:)
    I could rig up a hand pump in one of our two well's
    gardens, putting food in a jar and hunting smoking meat Id make a smoke house go a long ways an a flat bottom boat small enough to paddle to run my troot lines. And dont forget some good stink bait lol
    A country boy can survive

14. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I'll tie my answer in with another thread. I'd eat the neighbors horses. :D

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

No power. Do you have a really bright whale oil lamp that would work?:p

Seriously though, when was the last time y'all walked the distance from your work to home? If you haven't done it in awhile you might want to start your preps right now by getting into shape for that hike. A:pong the same lines, a good idea that qualifies as "prepping" would be to quit smoking, cut back on or quit drinking and get yourself into shape if you aren't already. I often see on prepper lists alcohol and tobacco, most claim it is for barter purposes but I suspect that the majority of those people are actually stocking it for their own use.

I would walk home- might take awhile depending on the circumstances. Maybe a couple of days. I should have provisions for such a hike in my vehicles, but I don't. Once home I am OK. Plenty of food and water, ways to prepare it. Plenty of choices for hunting tools. I think I'd be OK at that point.

Also, I am not sure EMP would disable electronics that are not up and running in some way. Say the radios I have are absolutely absent of all electrical current, no matter how small, when the EMP hits. Would they still be fried? Or the solar PV panels I have in dark storage. No electrons moving around there. I might be able to use the solar to power up my radios and make contact with-- who? I dunno. But I could try. Or maybe a rack of potato generators. Enough power can be made out of stuff I have lying about to get something going. I have some old cars with ignition points that I could get running (again, only if they were not running when the EMP hits). Same thing for older diesels, purely mechanical engines. You can bump start a diesel and it will run as long as you have fuel.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If power was killed by EMP, I would realize that I had been transported into a Science Fiction movie and wait for Arnold to come save the world!:D

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Its gonna take awhile. Arnold is busy screwing the domestic help.

18. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

When an EMP hits....

The only electronics that might work will be those that have been encased in a faraday cage; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage ...which can easily be made at home. Put short range walkie-talkies, a crank/solar power multi-band radio, flashlights & extra batteries in it. Stocking up on ammo, food, water, gas, medical/hygene supplies and firewood is a good idea....
    But the most important thing was brought up my C3... Your friends & neighbors will be the best resource you can invest in. You may think your an island... but just like other times of extreme situations... NO ONE will be able to go it alone for too long.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yeah everything is going to always be alright Rah! Rah!!;)

Once home I have been putting up food form our gardens (we have three all together) for a while. WE have a pond stocked with fish and several head of cattle and a few dozen chickens. Family here has been preparing as this is the bug out location. Most everyone on my road is family and there are only a few houses on the road. So we have taken several steps to make sure things are fine. This is rural Kentucky, spring houses are still around, smoke houses don't use electric either. The power goes out on a pretty regular basis do to whatever bad weather is going on at a given time of year and being we are not in a city we are not on the short list for repair. It has always paid to think ahead here. WE have food stored and on the hoof, in the water, and on the shelf. I have a pretty respectable stash of ammo and things to use it in.We're in a little hollow with one road in and it's not real hard to take the high ground around the place if need be. I have more than a couple springs that have always run and are easily accessible.

Country folk have a way of making sure things are OK. And as stated before, Faraday cages help keep electronics working. A little forethought goes a long way. ;)

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My Ham radio station equipment (known as a "shack" in the Ham community) is all housed inside a faraday cage, fully bonded and grounded and lightening protected. I am, however, unsure of whether it will protect sufficiently against an EMP as a Faraday Cage is not immune to the magnetic effects of such an event. I hope I never find out!