Another YES DPMS thread

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ktmboyz, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

So I have been doing alot of research on building an AR-10.. Seems alot of the parts are proprietary.. Can't use this upper with that lower, barrel nuts with different threads, or diff mag styles. Seems Arma lite is the worst for getting parts to interchange from what I have read.

Who here has real experience with of info on the DPMS sur's in .308. Am I just better off to build and have something with a factory warranty or should I try to build.. I would rather build to gain more experience but if its gona be more hassle than its worth than I'll buy

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have heard the same thing, but I have not personally seen it.

Look, we build AR-15's and AR-10's in the shop. It's not our bread and butter, but we do build several, total, a month of both types.

We order from DPMS and we order from RRA and we order from Larue and some of the custom places, then we get barrels based on what the customer wants for accuracy.

Are there proprietary differences? I am sure there are. Colt's are notorious for that in the AR-15 platform.

If you want to learn the system, build your lower and then buy an upper. You will get the know how of what happens with the lower, and get a warranty on the upper in case something goes wrong.

Easiest & Simpliest answer to your question....

JD

3. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Sorry I guess I kinda muddled my question in my post... How are the DPMS as far as quality in the ar-10 line up ?? A noob like me would prob never know the diff huh ?

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

DPMS is putting out good quality gear in both their AR line ups.

I would have no problem recommending an AR-10 built by them to a loved one if that is what they wanted.

Clear enough?

5. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

OK sorry I will stop with the dumb questions lol

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

AR platforms aren't crap unless you spend $4k on them. (sorry, I had to do it) :p

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

They aren't dumb questions.

The problem is this. Everyone puts out a lemon from time to time. Sometimes a whole production run will leave the production house and no one knows until they sell.

I always kid Cane about this, but a 1911 line up from Colt left the fatory without firing pins in place. Not a lot, but a couple of hundred. Stuff happens.

DPMS is a good company. Yeah, they had some struggles in their growth, but most companies do when production takes of Q/A. It's to be expected.

The question is, what has the company done to correct the issue?

If they are still putting out crap, you would see a lot more bad information about them. But look at the dates on some of the threads on those other boards.

2003?
    2004?
    2005?

I mean, c'mon now, if they are still in teh business of making firearms, I would IMAGINE their Q/A has gotten a lot better.

We have several people that own DPMS .308's here on this forum, and from what I have seen, they shoot, really, REALLY well....

JD

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Lots of guys that hate DPMS love Bushmasters in the same price bracket
    But aren't Remington/DPMS/Bushy all owned by the same company now??
    If so, are they made at same place or totally separate manufacture and QC?
    Sorry a little OT, forgive me, but I do have 76 years experience with the platform;):DGate

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Cerberus Investment Group owns the three companies, but they are only a money house, they do not get involved in the manufacturing.

I am sure all three companies maintain their own manufacturing facilities. Their overall tolerances might change from company to company, but not by much.

JD

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I bought a DPMS 18"BB AR-10 last year and can say I am very pleased with it. I took the time to break her in per the guidelines and she shoots very well. Now I am looking forward to getting a good scope on her and really testing my abilities. :)

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I too, know what it is to have a DPMS LR-308B, which is the 18" Bull Bbl and I love it. I got a Timney Single-Stage trigger for it and that made it even better. But like Dog, I'm saving up to get a really nice scope for it. But as is, it shoots sub-moa. I would definitely recommend it.

-Fred

12. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Fred, glad that Timney worked out for you. As soon as the funds get back up, I'll have to look into putting one in mine, too.

Slo

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Even after fluffing, buffing and polishing the old trigger, the Timney made a ton of difference. If your looking for a good single-stage, I would definitely recommend the Timney.

-Fred

14. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

I recommend them all the time. But usually it's always been for an AR15. So glad it worked out for you, and I will definitely be watching for one to put in mine.

Slo

15. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I love my DPMS. Shorty with pinned muzzle. Very solid, no failures - even with wolf ammo. It loves to eat rabbit :)

16. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

This thread is no fun without Water Man.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got a DPMS panther M4 and its got tight tolearances in the parts and the fit tween upper and lower recievers is very tight. it runs all ammo i have thrown at it from various sources just fine. it shoots great. on par with any other AR or M16 i have ever fired. as for their .308 line dunno but if tis anything like their 5.56 rifles prolly a decent weapon.

18. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I have it on good authority (Water Man) that DPMS sucks.:rolleyes: