Another "which gun" thread but hopefully more fun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CaptainSlow, Apr 28, 2010.

1. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow New Member

Yeah, I know – everyone hates the “which gun?” threads. Go shoot them, see what feels good in your hands, shut up and leave us all alone. And yet here I am, starting another one. Please indulge me – I’ll try to make this at least a little different and interesting.

Background – I’ve got small collection of 9 mm handguns which “tick the boxes” for various needs. I’ve got a small pocket pistol, a nice IWB carry piece, a full size piece of non-Glock tupperwear (more on that in a minute), and a big steel framed SA/DA. In short, I’ve got everything I need for carry, home defense, and a little variety at the range - which is really the scope of all I ever want to do in the near term.

I’ve taken some training classes, I’ve got a decent enough stock of ammo, and I practice somewhat regularly.

Sure I could always do more of the above, but I’m getting itchy for a new gun. So what should I get next? My current thinking:

1) A small revolver. Maybe a Ruger LCR or a S&W J frame. I like revolvers. Seems like everyone should own one.

Downside? I’m one of those folks who believes in caliber standardization and everything I’ve got is 9 mm right now. This would take me in to the world of the .38. Perhaps this is just the price of admission for having a revolver, but the analytic in me likes standardization.

2) A 1911. Everyone should own one at some point in their life, right? Nearly 100 years of production can’t be wrong! I could even get one in 9 mm (sacrilege aside!).

Downside? They’re expensive. I could swing it, but ugh - I could almost get any two of my other choices for the price of a nice 1911.

3) A Glock 17. The world’s most common, most durable tupperwear. Again, everyone should own one, right? They have a zillion accessories for them, mags are dirt cheap and available seemingly everywhere except 7-11, they’re simple, they shoot while caked in mud-underwater-in-a-sand-storm-while-a-volcano-is-blowing-up. What’s not to like?

Downside? I don’t like them. Of the XD, S&W MP, and the Glock, the Glock finishes a distant third on my list of likes as far as how it fits in my hand. But peer pressure is a terrible thing… Maybe I should just get over that and join the cult?

4) A Beretta 92. Again, a super common, reliable, classic design. If it's good enough for the armed forces, it should be good enough for me, right?

Downside? Eh…. I listed it fourth out of four because I just can’t get that excited about it. Yeah, it’d be a good gun to own, but I’m not sure it gets me much over my current SA/DA steel frame. And they’re a little pricey compared to options 1 and 3, at least.

So… Get one of the above? Go look at something not listed above? Have a drink and forget about it all together? What say the masses?

P.S. No offense intended to anyone with any of my comments above. Please enjoy all characterizations with the humor in which they were intended. :)

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

IMHO - you're thinking about this way to hard. Everyone should have at least one revolver and adding a new caliber isn't a bad thing. During the recent ammo crunch about all that was on the shelf was .40 - so at least I could shoot because I own some. A good 4 inch .357 is a staple in any gun collection. Any good brand will do: S&W, Ruger, Colt, Dan Wesson...

3. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow New Member

Of course I am! Thinking about it is half the fun. :D

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The state of my collection isn't so different from yours, except I don't yet have any polymer. I'd probably lean toward either more of a full-framed 4" revolver (stainless GP100 tops my list) or a 1911.

Or if your want to be different...
    I'm actually a little intrigued by the .327fedmag caliber in revolvers.
    Or you could hold true to your 9mm trend and add something like a KelTec Sub2000, sort of a compact fold-out tactical rifle for $300-400.

It sounds like you've already got most of your practical needs covered, so focus on something you'll have fun with...adding a new caliber shouldn't hurt too bad.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The 4'' .357 revolver makes sense if you want to branch out a little bit. However, if you really want to stay with 9mm, get a Hi Power. They're called the "King of the Nines" for a reason. :cool:

6. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Although I love revolvers and have quite a few, the 1911 is something that you definitely want to experience (in 45 ACP), and you can get a very serviceable model for the same price as most of your other choices. Don't be fooled into thinking you need a full race 1911--some of the mil-spec models are great, and you can always improve on them later if you'd like. Even Remington is about ready to come out with one, and it should be in the $550 dollar range, where the Springfield mil-specs and similar models start. Even a Rock Island for about $450 is a great one to start with. And even though the ammo may be more expensive, 45 ACP is the only way to go in my opinion. Good luck!

7. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'll chime in and agree with what some others have said.

If I were in your situation, I would go with either a 1911 (in .45acp), or a good wheelgun.. probably .357.

I have two 1911's at the moment, a basic GI style and one with all the bells and whistles.
    Both are a joy to shoot, IMO no good collection is complete without one...or 2, or 3 or..

On the other hand, no collection is complete without a revolver.

So I would say get either the 1911 or a good wheel gun, and don't worry about the ammo. If you go with a 1911, get the .45, thats what they were designed for.
    I'm not saying anything is wrong with a 1911 in 9mm, but if you want the true 1911 experience, then .45 is the way to go.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Yes.

Yes.

No.

No.

[​IMG]

Keep that thought. :D

[​IMG]

I'd go with a nice used S&W 686 or Ruger GP100.

9. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow New Member

Yeah, but I'll bet if you posted that pic on the Glock forum someone would claim that they wound a roll of duct tape around it and then flawlessly fired 500 rounds from it. ;)

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO no collection is complete w/o a 4" revolver in .357 Mag. Versitile, simple, durable and powerful. What's not to like.

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

It's been mentioned before but bears repeating — Hipower. I suppose you could also look at H&K, but I'm not sure how much variety that would add to your collection.

As far as revolvers go, I know some have been chambered for 9mm (using moon clips). I don't know if any reputable manufacturer is currently producing them. If you are at all open to the idea of branching out your ammo collection, I'd say pick up a .357 wheel gun. You can shoot .38 special (more economical) .38 special +p and +p+, as well as .357 magnum. That gives you a lot of variety in power from one gun. Ruger makes some great revolvers, and S&W makes .357s that will hold 6, 7 or even 8 rounds.

12. Viking

Viking Active Member

I've yet to see .327 mag ammo in my neck of the woods and when the ammo crunch was at it's worst 40 S&W always seemed to be on the shelves. Things have gotten better in the past few months but if I was buying a new weapon I certainly want one with readily available ammo, what's the use of owning a beautiful weapon but having no ammo to shoot it with. My .380 auto is sort of in that situation and if there is ammo for it, it's pretty spendy.

13. wldennis

wldennis New Member

Like many others, I say you can't go wrong with a 4" revolver. I have a Colt Python, but am considering adding another. Maybe a GP100, or Model 28 S&W.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Maybe with their weak side hand.

Elsie Ahrrrrrrr:

[​IMG]

King of 9's:

[​IMG]

15. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow New Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm slightly surprised by the outpouring of love for the wheel guns. Based upon most of the local people I know, my fondness for revolvers makes me a bit of an odd duck in the group. I'm also surprised there wasn't more 1911 or Glock fan boy out cry.

I'll probably keep my eye out for a good deal on either a revolver or a 1911 and the first deal that seems too good to pass up I'll probably jump on.

16. Viking

Viking Active Member

Try as I may I really have a hard time putting any love into owning poly framed autos. I don't know if it's the history or just the heft of an all steel 1911 in ones hand but I would own one in a second. The extreme ammo shortage is the only reason I didn't get one over the XDm 40 I bought, 45 ACP ammo is still pretty scarce here in S.W. Oregon. I guess I'm just too old school but I have not come to accept even the highly touted XDm, or any other poly pistol as a legitimate weapon. I'm not trying to insult anyone owning them and I've been told Glock proves that they work well and hold up over time but it's just something that sticks in my mind that says the only thing I'm willing to accept as plastic being on a handgun is the grips. As to wheel guns, I've said this before and I'll say it again, if I could only own one handgun it would be my old 7 1/2" barreled Redhawk 44 mag. It's the most reliable handgun I've ever owned.

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yep too much thought. .

A good .357 mag.

18. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Yeah, everyone needs at least one good wheel gun. I have owned both S&W and Ruger, and I will take the Ruger everytime. They build a really solid revolver and usually come with a grip that doesn't need to changed to be comfortable (YMMV). Current revolver stable includes a GP100 4" and SP100 2 1/4", both in .357. Also have a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag & a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Both regripped with Hogue.

I have owned 2 1911's over the years, one Officer's Model, one full size with a 4". Loved them both, but my hands are not up to it anymore.
    I prefer my Sig's over the Colt's, but that's just MHO. Currently have a P245 and a P239. The most dependable autos that I have ever owned.....never a jam, never a mis-feed. My S&W autos used to dislike the cold (I lived in New Hampshire back then) and didn't like to feed when really cold (-10 F with wind chill), but when I want to shoot, I go out and shoot. My Sig's never had that problem. I no longer own the S&W's.

Long winded for the new guy on the block, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been around different blocks quite a few times.

Get the 1911, you won't forgive yourself if you don't. You just might love it! Then at some point, get a good .357 wheel gun. My recommendations are obvious. Good luck & enjoy!

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Welcome to the forum Biker! You kind of completely contradicted yourself in that first paragraph. No worries though. I own several Rugers and LOVE ALL of THEM and the only one I haven't felt the need to re-grip is my Single-six. This is due to my large hands and small grip frame of most Rugers.

I think the OP mentioned the cost of a 1911 being an issue. I love to shoot 1911s (Don't own one yet cause I'm a lefty and will go custom when the time comes). A good revolver is a primary part of the foundation of a collection. The OP stated he had plenty of semis, but no wheelie.

It would not be regretful to solidify a collection with the necessary wheelie FIRST

You said it brother. My thoughts exactly! :)

20. WDB

WDB New Member

It is a truly personal choice. I like polly frames for CC, the Glock isn't for me due to the grip angle but there are some fine polly frames out there. I like the S&W M&P 45, been my CC for more than a couple of years and has severed me well, not a 1911 but it fits my need well. As already mentioned a good wheel gun is something every shooter should have. I lean to S&W but the Ruger polly frame snub nose truly has my attention first real honest advancement in revolvers in a long time. If I had the $$ I would own one as a CC pistol. I own more than a few steel frame pistols and have carried them for years. Polly guns are lighter and fit my day to day carry better with what I believe IMHO the same level of protection. I am truly nogstolagic when it comes to my firearms but not so much when it comes to what I carry. Times change, I've alway went with what works best for me and I believe everyone should do the same.

Not a lot of help I expect