Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by danf_fl, Dec 9, 2012.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Such a sad tragedy. It is so easy to handle a firearm correctly and with respect at all times. I can't imagine being that father...RIP little man.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There was no need in both weapons being loaded. We don't know the details of the handgun accidentally going off. But he failed to follow some basic safety rules to have an accidental discharge. Life is a bitch! You get the test first and the lessons later. I hope the family can get past this tragedy.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. trip286

trip286 New Member

My son just turned 7.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Keep your finger off the trigger. And never point it at something you don't wish to destroy. It's that simple. Bad things happen in result of even the most simple mistakes.
    All guns are loaded at all times. Even when you go to academy or bass pro and look at a gun treat it as if it was loaded.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I did not notice if the firearms were looked at by the store. If they were, then the store employee also failed.

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

So sad. I feel bad for his mother. As for the father. What a *bleeping* idiot!

My sister has two kids. She is at home a lot with just my little niece and nephew. Long story short. She finally had something happen that made her decide she wants a gun. I'm going to take at least an hour showing her and telling her basic gun safety and then I'm gonna show her this story.

That should take care of any safety concerns I have for them.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

This makes me feel sick. I'm fortunate to live in the forest. My guns are stored empty, no magazine, action open. The only time my guns are loaded is when I'm at the range.

I don't know how I could live if I killed my son.

9. Squawk

Squawk New Member

You should have a pistol loaded somewhere within 5 feet for home defense. What would you do if someone broke in to harm your family?
    "Hold on Mr. Criminal. I have to load my pistol/shotgun/rifle."

Good luck with that.

Pistol safes aren't expensive. I'd recommend that you have one by your bedside at least.

Just IMO. To each their own. Glad to know there are still responsible gun owners, like yourself, that put the welfare of their kids first.

10. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Its up to the individual how they chose to store there firearm.

As for safe handling of firearms i see all the time on this forum people being advised to carry in CON 1 without any knowledge of the persons ability or experience with firearms.

People should reflect on the sad news when they are handling firearms. PS In my experience its the people that condemn others for poor firearms handling and think they know it all are the ones have ND-S.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have sympathy for the mother, and the kid, but the father deserves none. There is no excuses for his negligence and he should be prosecuted for manslaughter and jailed.

12. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

The father claimed he had the magazine out but “didn’t realize there was another round still in the chamber…” (????)… Did this **** NOT understand how the weapon operates?? Did he just buy it at the store… therefore the basic operation should have been explained in detail by the gun store staff (…and thus legally should fall on their shoulders as well!!)… Did the weapon NOT have a safety ??? Every weapon I carry on a daily basis does… and I will personally not carry one that doesn’t have that feature (BTW… my old Radom pistol has the “mag out safety” feature as well).

Either way…. An innocent boy is dead… and he can’t come back because of carelessness. I’m printing the story off and (for a while at least) putting it up in the door of my gun cabinet to reinforce my own good habits and to remind my son to practice his.
    PS- If this **** has a carry/conceal permit issued by the great state of Pennsylvania... maybe they should yank it. He's obviously a danger to the public... to say the least.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

If it was in a case when not in a holster prolly never happen even if loaded and cocked.

I dont start from a stand point of assuming our membership here on the forums are irresponsible morons who dont know what they are doing. Thats how we end up with government running our lives and telling us what church we have to go to and what food we cant eat and whether we can smoke or not.

If you go back and look at postings where the op states they have no gun experience the first thing most people here tell em is seek some proffessional training in firearms safety and handling :)

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I cant imagine what the father must be going through. I am sure he feels guilty enough without the gun community dog piling on him.

I carry my guns to and from the range in a range bag. And they are in storage boxes in the bag. If I am carrying a gun it is in a holster that fully covers the trigger even if it is in my pocket. I visually check the chamber of a gun I think is empty every time I pick it up.

15. BlackRifle

BlackRifle New Member

Important rules you should never forget. How many times have you seen a person at a gun shop/bass pro wave a empty piece around aiming and pointing everywhere around the counter. I have seen it all to offen, and it just reminds me how easy it is to get a gun. I feel for everyone in this story, even the father. He's has to live with this, and knowing his ignorance killed his son. What a shame, in another few years we could have been sharing this forum with that young man that lost his life.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

My son's in college. I live alone. The violent crime rate where I live is zero. Here is a picture of where I live:

Attached Files:

17. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I am so jealous of you

18. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

VERY true sir. I realize not everyone has the advantage of growing up in a gun owner or law enforcement household (like I had the benefit of...). That's why I have always extended my hand to help newbies and always listened to the experience of others as well. The long term effect could overt a tragedy... like in this case. Poor little guy.....

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

He may have pulled the trigger. I am not saying he didn't. I wasn't there. But I am wondering if there were other things in the console that could have hit the trigger. That I why I transport guns that are not being used for SD in their proper boxes.

20. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Don't count on it. He's 44 years old and still this stupid ?? I stand by my previous statement about yanking his carry permit if he has one. But as for him doing prison time over this... no. In the end, he's got to live with himself and sleep at night. Good luck with that fella.