Another Range Idiot.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by cottontop, Sep 14, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Last week I made my weekly trek to the public range. As I was shooting, I noticed I was having very little consistency. I was puzzled as This particular rifle is very accurate. Then I noticed that the idiot next to me had no target down range in which to shoot. This boob was shooting at MY target. You can imagine how p.o.ed I was. The conversation went as follows: "Hey, you are shooting at my target!"
    "Oh, sorry."
    "Where's your target?"
    "I was just shooting at a spot on the dirt."
    "Then why were you shooting my target?"
    "I thought somebody just left it there."
    "Then what the hell did you think I was shooting at?"
    There was no more reply after that question. I have no idea what was going through this jerk's mind. Not only that, some other idiot with binocculars was coaching him and telling him where he was hitting on my target.

This guy always walks all over the firing line talking to everybody and offering all kinds of advice. He never shuts up. The worst thing is that he is always there. I envy you guys who shoot on private ranges.
    cottontop

2. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

LOL! That is so funny on so many levels!

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

What has the response been from the range officer or staff.

He may not be a boob or an idiot, but a protected class.

At my range, however he would be given a stern talk and a time out.
    Probably not let them shoot here again.

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

You have to be kidding! Who would shoot at a spot of dirt at the range and not even bring a target and have a spotter??

Yikes!!

5. fmj

fmj New Member

>>snort<< Really? REEALLY!??! You actually asked that question?

How about tacticool billyjoebob. Theres one at EVERY public range...sometimes they bring their entire family.

6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I guess I stay too focused on what I'm shooting to notice. We also don't shoot on the main line at our range unless shooting rifle. Pistol we go to a private range.

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Considering it was at a private club range where one of the "popular members" had a ND with the muzzle loosely pointed in my direction... I'll take the public range with their overly anal safety regs any day.

8. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

A few friends and i were pracricing shooting while moving on our privare range with our ar's. My friend was moving backwards and tripped over a tree root falling backwards and landed on the ground. He swept the entire sky with his muzzle. He also removed his finger from the trigger immediately when he hit the tree root. Not a single round was fired off target.

I dont feel bad for those of you who shoot at public ranges. I feel bad for those of you who are forced to shoot with idiots.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bring my own target stands because the idiots have no regard for the ones provided. I used to build the stands for the range but stopped after seeing what was being done to them. I also bring a side barrier to prevent fired cases from hitting other shooters. I have been peppered with hot cases when someone cuts loose with an AR or Mini.

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would've tracked down a Range or Safety Officer, no matter how many doors I had to kick open to find them and demand they discipline him. When it comes to someone stealing my property and my time while acting like an idiot, I turn into a first-class *ssh*le. If you let them get away with it they will just keep doing it. As an afterthought, I'd report him, the incident and the officer I spoke to in a letter t the owner and expect action. Crossfire like that can endanger range workers or, in some cases, civilians.

If you make it absolute Hell for everyone involved, they will take safety more seriously and will know to NEVER mess with you again.

11. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Wow thats great you gotta love that guy,the one that walks around and spreads knowledge and doesn't know a damn thing.

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Guys, I kid you not. This is the absolute truth. This guy actually did shoot my target (several times) and said he was first shooting at the dirt and thought that my target was just left there by somebody else. I did tell the range officer, but he is just a kid (early 20's) and he just laughed. So, I just let it go at that.

I was there again today and the idiot was there also. There were not too many there so he didn't have too many to talk to. He looked at me, but, he won't approach me any more. He knows I can't stand him and that I really got on his case when he shot my target. So, with no one to talk to, he left. I was a special ed teacher for 22 years and as professional, I can spot them. I believe that this poor guy is developmentally delayed. One sign is his inappropriate behavior with complete strangers. He will walk up to someone he does not know and show them a target he has shot and then ask them if they want to shoot his gun. You just don't do that. Other than that, he does seem to be safe enough. His guns are always pointing down range and I haven't seen any other unsafe behavior. I will just remember to keep my eye on him when he is there.
    cottontop

13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

What TekGreg says.

I don't have 22 years experience, but I thought I saw that in the orignal post.

So, since he is there all the time, is it worth an afternoon to spend some time with him.
    Buy his some targets, talk guns with him, compliment/critique his shooting. Then after you have gained some confidence with him, go over your concerns?

I would guess there would be an improvement.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Soo, he had a spotter, who's gotta see

this guy's shooting your target,

and everyone is OK with all that?

(facepalm) Public Ranges.

I work hard to be able to shoot privately,

but it's worth it. It's hardly rocket science, this

thread being a fine example of the distractions you see at

public ranges, that since I started shooting on a private range,

my accuracy improved over 200%.

IME, RSOs are among the worst offenders, at the ranges

I've used in the past.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  15. cottontop

cottontop Guest

target

I don't think the spotter knew that it was my target. He was just some guy that the shooter recruited to help and I'm sure he just assumed the guy was shooting the correct target. No harm was done. It's over and I don't think this guy will shoot someone's target again. I know he won't mine as he stays away from me. As far as chumming up to the guy, no. I paid my dues. I am retired now and I don't have time to nurse maid anyone as I am trying to develop loads for my rifles.
    cottontop;):D

16. fmj

fmj New Member

In the "real world" distractions are the norm...this is one reason i enjoy the public range. People want to bitch and cry about hot brass raining down on them...i look at it as a way to become a better marksman.

perspective man, perspective!

My daddy once (or many times) said to me, "Boy, life is about perspective. Its the angle at which you choose to look at life."

You can bitch about it, or you can find a better way to look at any situation life hands you..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  17. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

It sounds like the guy doesn't have many friends and just wants attention,maybe you should be nice and reach out to him,you know sit down at bench have a nice cup of tea.

18. -06

-06 New Member

I have often shot a a particular spot in a berm just to OK function and maybe empty a mag of old ammo. Would just get a bit miffed about some jerk shooting my target--actually would be very angry and tell him so. Hope he gets the message w/o getting turned off to shooting. His intentions may be the best.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If he wants a friend, he should get a dog.

Here's a guy who's either too cheap or lazy to set up his own

target, but he's got enough money for a scope, and goes the

extra calorie burn to recruit a target spotter.

Well, maybe somebody gives you everything, and you're

going to live forever, but here's some perspective. Range

shooting is expensive, and time consuming. IF I want

additional distractions, while I'm diligently attempting to

increase my accuracy, I'll hire Bozo the Clown, and pay him well...

20. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Your dad sounds like a very wise man