Another question about scope rings.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 95sniper, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

So today I was on arms list and I found my next rifle. A savage 110 with accutrigger in 7mm Remington magnum. It doesn't come with a scope and I was wondering what brand of rings would be best? I ordered some cheap utg rings because I thought I was going to get a .270. Thanks.

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Burris sells wide rings, 6 screws each. A pair of those, with 12 locktited screws, will keep the scope welded in.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Walmart has weaver quad lock rings For a good price. It's a good chance wallyworld will have a base, they sell savage rifles. I use the site to store to get rings and mounts. it's a PITA to dig through all the weaver stuff.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  4. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thanks for the responses so far!

5. sandog

sandog Member

Talley rings and bases are my favorite but they are pricey. The Talley's have by far the cleanest lines, but rings and bases will set you back a hundred dollar bill. I have Leupold dovetail mounts on a couple of rifles, they will run about $40. Weaver Grand slam's are solid and should only be about $25 for rings and bases. Warne makes a quick detachable ring, $45 or so and will fit on Weaver or Picatinny bases. The Warne's are steel, though, and a bit heavy. Some light Q.D. rings are the Accuracy Solutions ones, Midway has them around $40. They look identical to the Warne Q.D.'s, but are aluminum and much lighter.

6. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Will the aluminum stand up to the recoil? I've heard it won't but I'm not sure if I'm mislead.

7. angryhart

angryhart New Member

Cabelas has red field aluminum rings for $16 or so. They hold up just fine on the recoil from a 30-06.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Yes, it will. If the ring is cut and drilled precisely to the specs, with exactly matching hard steel screws that don't get stripped with a regular hex/star wrench, you are in business. Quality light alloy rings are often more expensive than steel. It is the super cheap ones that let you down.

9. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

So my $10 utg weaver mounts are no good?

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Not necessarily. With cheaper rings, it is hit or miss. I would test them first. If the scope walks, then replace them, no harm to the rifle.

11. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Ok, thanks man

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

95sniper,What type of base are you using? If your using a 2 pc base on a long action receiver,you can run into problems depending on the length of your scopes maintube. With some shorter scopes,you may have problems getting a good sight picture / eye relief.
    I always use a 1 pc base Weaver/Picatinney rail on long actions,then you don't have problems mounting a scope where it needs to be on a long action.

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I was looking at those earlier today, I might have to go that direction.

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Your Rifle should have Weaver style bases. This is What is on my savage 110 7mmRM....

They are outstanding. These have been on this rifle since 1998, have never loosened. These are Weaver steel, Never use aluminum, can cause issues such as stripping threads.
    [​IMG]

These are what are on my other rifles.
    http://warnescopemounts.com/product/rings/

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

How do you like that rifle? What type of scope is that?

16. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I picked up the rifle, I'm still on the way back home. I can't unload any pictures yet. Scope hasn't arrived and I like it so far. It doesn't have a magazine which I like and its synthetic stock with accutrigger.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Rifle is awesome. Scope is a Weaver 2-10x38mm V10. Great combo.

18. sandog

sandog Member

I have the Accuracy solutions aluminum Q.D. rings on my 16" Ruger GSR .308, and on my Marlin lever I had re bored to .356 Winchester. No problems at all, I sold the Warne's I had on my Marlin as they were so much heavier. If someone has stripped aluminum rings or bases they were either cheap ones to begin with or the screws were torqued too much. Many excellent makers such as Talley, Redfield and Farrell use aluminum in some of their products. I just sold a long action Savage .270 and had on it a Ferrell one piece aluminum picatinny base like TXhillbilly was talking about. As he said, you can put a shorter scope on a really long action and put the rings where you want them. Or use extension bases to move the rings closer together.