Another Project.

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by cpttango30, May 3, 2010.

1. Flat Black

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Park Gray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SS Gray

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Semigloss Black

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. O.D. Green

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. Earth Brown

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Dark Gray Park

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  8. Coyote

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  9. Desert Tan

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have a Ruger MkII Govt Target Model pistol. It is in rough shape. It got left in the trunk of my moms car in the summer and something spilled on it. A lot of the blue is missing and it has pits in the metal. I seen a way to fix the pits with jb weld or something like that. But Then I can't blue it. SOOOOOOO I am going to paint it with Brownells Aluma-hyde II paint. I am also going to add a set of Volquartsen Volthane Target Grips.

My question is what color or colors should I use to do this job. FTF Picks and I will do it. your choices are

flat black
    Park Gray
    SS Gray
    Semigloss black
    O.D. Green
    Earth Brown
    Dark gray park
    Coyote
    Desert Tan

BROWNELLS : ALUMA-HYDE

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Pink. With Sky Blue Accents.

Only the best for Tangolicious. :D

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

They don't make it in those colors you peter puffer.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dark gray park. You always see blued or stainless, black is common whether gloss or flat. Grey or black park seems to common. Coyote, O.D green and desert tan are cool, but it's not a tacticool pistol. Earth brown doesn't work for me because it conjures up AR type rifles. Therefore, dark gray park.

I rest my case. Please hold the applause. ;)

5. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Paint it rust red and put it back in the trunk.

6. CA357

Now, that's absolutely brilliant! :D

7. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Use the flat black and the park grey and do zebra type stripes. :cool:

8. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Tango-
    What made you decide on Alum Hyde? I used it on a .17HM2-10/22 conversion barrel and the trigger group. The barrel was a Majestic Arms aluminum shroud matte finish barrel and I just wanted to change the color. It grabbed well on the matte finish of the barrel.

On the trigger guard I scuffed the aluminum with 220 grip paper thinking the Aluma Hyde would stick. It did, but not very well. The bow of the trigger guard chips and flakes at the slightest contact with anything. You gonna blast your Ruger first?

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Tango, have you shot one with the VQ grips? I had them on an older Mk II and I didn't care for them much - I prefer basic Hogue's like I have on my Mk III Hunter. As far as a color goes, I like flat black or dark gray...

[​IMG]

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK Let me add something.

I AM NOT doing some GHAY azz paint scheme like Zebra stripes or Leopard spots.

I am thinking of adding a new front sight like your dave.

I am looking at the Aluma-hyde because it is not a bake on finish and it was easy to use. I didn't want to spend $100 + on a duracoat system. I didn't want to send it off and have it done.

I think I may do the flat black finish.

11. CA357

Tango, if you want to go flat black, here's a link to the stuff I used on my 1911. It comes out a matte black. It's a bake on finish, but it's really an easy to use product. One can will more than do the job.

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The problem with bake on products is I don't have a place to bake them on. Because my wife has horrible allergy's and doing something like that will more than likely send her into an allergy attack.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Cane I said so ghay azz sh!t. If I wanted flashy I would just get a tacsol pink upper for it and them pink grips.

Plus I already ordered the grips along with 500 Sierra 60gr Varmint HPFB bullets.

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Olive drab is always a good choice, two of my fav colors are flat black and olive drab...

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Well the grips are in. Now I just have to order the paint and epoxy to fix the pitting. Still not sure what color I am going with. I think I may do a flat black and od green Where I paint the frame black and barrel/receiver green with black sights.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Tango you looked at Duracoat? I've seen a few projects that made me really want to try it. I know a guy that redone his Para LTC and he carries it every day and it's not showing the carry wear like many (including my LTC) seems to show after a short time. They even have what amounts to a disposable air brush to apply it if you don't happen to have one. The color choices are HUGE too. Including template packs of some of those fancy camo things people like to do.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The grips came in today. I fitted them and a new bolt release that came with them.

I may end up using the duracoat system just because i hear it fills in small pits rather well.