another pawn shop find....

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Blazede30, May 10, 2013.

1. Blazede30

Blazede30 New Member

Found a 1907 german k98...now im still learning a lot about these rifles, but im unsure if it is in fact a german k98 because of the year.... It was butchered, i mean sporterized, so no bayonet mountn also, it does have the hole in the stock for the bolt assembly, but it has the swivel sling mounts underneath rather than the side mount and stock mount.... No cracks in the stock but it looks like it's lived an active life.... The stampings are pretty worn....

Ill post pics after i get thru my wonderful California 10 day waiting period... So we'll see if it was worth the $150.... Meanwhile, the hunt for some 8mm ammo begins....

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I'm already sure it's worth a buck and a half if it works -- have no buyer's regret.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

4. Blazede30

Blazede30 New Member

Update: picked up and immediately wemnt into full inspection mode and i think its label was slightly inaccurate.. . Heres what i found....
    Receiver/barrel (fairly pitted) is a 1907 Spandau Mauser G.E.W 98 S/42 with the 1920 treaty stamp and a bunch of randomly placed alphanumeric stamps underneath, No matching numbers, bolt seems to be swapped out (possibly aftermarket), stock also swapped and butchered, even the trigger is swapped out

The stock shows its age but no cracks.... Sights are intact.... Upon disassembly of the bolt, it appeared to be greased with a car grease-like grease...

For the most, i was able to clean off all the grease, hit it with clp, and give it a nice polish with 1200grit...... The stock is going thru its resurrection with a dark stain.... I was going to leave it, but it was already butchered and appears to have already been refinished, so im sure its value is already low, so i went for it...

All in all, i think its something special and i can wait to find ammo and start hit targets really far away.. Lol..

Attached Files:

5. Blazede30

Blazede30 New Member

Here goes some after pics... Stock is still in progress

Attached Files:

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Nice looking forward to seeing that stock.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The barrel pitting is what worries me the most!:eek:

8. Blazede30

Blazede30 New Member

Yea... Im still contemplating whether or not i should shoot it... What could happen?... Besides replacing, are there options or repairs?

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

GEW98 and K98k are not close to the same. 1907 Is GEW.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The bolt was cut, welded, bent. quite a mess. Don't worry about the pitting.
    Upper handgaurd is ??? Rear sight was put on by bubba. The action is worth the $150.00. I would get a new bolt, check Sarco. Deside what type of rifle you really want and send it off to a smith that knows Mausers, or sell it as a barreled action to someone looking for a project rifle.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Aren't Mauser actions one of the most popular for rebarreling?

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would check the head space. If it is good to go then work on the bore. Get a fire lap kit or fire lap bullets from Brownells. These old bores can be greatly improved. Check the bore dimension determine if it is an "S" or "J" bore. Regardless of what it is supposed to be check it out.:confused:

13. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

$150 for a Mauser?!

Chopped up or not, that's a good price!

14. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I would consider the barrel to be unusable, possibly dangerous. The bolt looks OK, but would benefit from a good cleaning.

Action looks nice.

If it were mine I would have it re-barreled, headspaced etc...

I have a 98 Mauser here that had a much better looking bore than yours. I couldn't get it to shoot accurately, so I looked at it with a video bore-scope. - The barrel looked like a sewer pipe, inside! - It's waiting for a new barrel as I type this.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  15. angryhart

angryhart New Member

I believe that hand guard goes with an argentine 1891 mauser or Belgian mauser. It looks similar anyway....

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Aww, my Mosin had a bore worse than that and hit beer cans at 100 yards. It's the luck of the draw.

Have it checked by a Smith to make sure it's safe, then put it through it's paces before you decide to buy a new barrel.

You do have a great foundation to build a custom rifle on.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That would be awesome to bring it back to life again.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Bolt cleaned up nice, have you cleaned the barrel yet ?..........Lets see what it looks like after its cleaned up, don`t write that old rifle off quit yet.................

19. Blazede30

Blazede30 New Member

Yea...thats why i mentioned it was mislabeled at the shop.... They had it down as a ww2 k98...

20. Blazede30

Blazede30 New Member

Lol.. That was after the cleaning.... I've been reading on pitted barrels and and it looks like it could go either way...