Another one to help ID!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gqusaf, Mar 27, 2010.

1. gqusaf

gqusaf New Member

I have one more I need help identifying the model.

Remington 12 gauge 1100 series. Trying to resolve whether this is a base model, LT-20, LT-20 Magum, ....

A. 12 gauge, chambered for 3" shells.
    B. S/N 551270M
    C. Has "Magnum" on right side of the receiver. I thought it as a LT-20 Magnum, but that model only came in 28" barrels....mine is a 30".
    D. Checkered walnut stock. Front grips are plastic with matching pattern from stock.
    E. Remington ventilated recoil pad (diamond pattern ventilation).

Anything else I need to specify, let me know. Thanks again for your help...I got these two shotguns from a friend's Dad who passed away and his son doesn't like guns. I can't argue with free!

Thanks, guys!

Aaron

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Without pictures we can't really help you. How about going to the intro section and tell the forum a little about yourself, we like to help just want to know who we're helping.

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

In fact you probably do have that model. The barrel was probably changed by a previous owner. Back in the day, longer barrels were better, but that's not necessarily true today.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Be sure you are measuring the barrel correctly. The length is measured from breach face to muzzle. The best way to do so is close the breech on an empty chamber, take a cleaning rod and insert it into the muzzle until it contacts the breech face. Mark the cleaning rod with a sharpie at the end of the barrel. Remove the cleaning rod and measure.

Are you sure the magnum model was never offered with a 30" barrel? Details of each model change periodically so that may have been an option at one time. Check the serial number through Remingtom to see exactly how it left the factory.

5. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Sounds like you have an older Model 1100 Magnum, especially if the stock checkering is pressed and not cut--it was made for lead shot 3 inch 12 gauge shells. Not sure about the front grip, it must have been an after-market addition as I know of none in plastic from the factory. Most came with a 30 inch full choke barrel. (The Lt-20 Magnum only came in 20 gauge, the difference being that the original 20 gauge 1100s were built on the 12 gauge receiver, the Lt-20s came with a smaller receiver.)

6. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Missleman, Wasn't the older 1100 models offered with 2 3/4 receivers only? 3" came later

7. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Good catch--I guess when I said older I should have qualified that. I believe when the 1100 came out in 1963 it was available in standard 2 3/4 and 3-inch magnum versions--I believe the 3 inchers were called the Magnum Duck Gun originally. That's what I refered to as "older", with the pressed checkering and Dupont finish on the stock. I believe the newer models had cut checkering and satin finishes, but Remington released what seems like hundreds of variations and commemoritive models. They are one of the all time great shotguns, and my favorite skeet and trap guns still today.

8. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Missileman,
    You're correct with your info. on the early model 1100's and your OP about the LT-20. I belong to another forum which is all Remington, all-the-time. I was waiting to hear from a Rem. guru and this is what he has to say...

To the OP,
    Hope this helps...this guy knows his stuff!!
    He's been a big help to me & others on the Remington Forum.