Another one for Canebrake and the guys

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DodgerBlue, Feb 15, 2012.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Canebrake, everybody. This guy contacted me. I had nothing to do with this.

he e-mails me and offered me his Colt MK IV Series 70. Said it has been in his safe or over 20 years, new!

He wants my SIG Scorpion. I wonder what papa Canebrake will say on this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Damn that is a nice Colt, i think i know what Cane is gonna say.

You have a hard decision to make brother.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

looks like the finish was stripped off or bead blasted. if so, its not a good trade.

from the pics thats definately not a colt finish which really drops the gun value a LOT.

you can get a like new unmessed with old manufacture series 70 for the price of your sig. one thats been mucked with like that one i wouldnt do it

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I think, it's just poor quality pics. I touched base with him and he said everything is as it was when he bought it new. He thinks no more than 2 magazines through it. He cant remember. Hasn't taken it out for 20 years.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'd make love to it. Yes, you read that correctly, don't ask how, just accept the fact that I would make sweet love to it.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Trip you perv......Dodger I dunno man....I gotta agree with Jon on this one. One pic looks ok.....but the finish don't look amazing on it for being a safe queen. I have never seen someone so dang excited about their gun like you....and you're always talking about getting rid of it all of the time! To each their own man, not judging, its just humorous to me is all. Colts are b/a but your Scorpion is too.....

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There was a time when some SS looked like stripped carbon steel.
    Get an affidavit that the finish was not messed with.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sorry for the delay.

A like-new 20 yo, unmolested MKIV S70 for the price of your current production SIG IS a good deal.

Just a caveat or two;
    • How well do you know this guy?
    • Shoot the gun prior to the trade.
    • Get the S/N and call Colt [800-962-COLT (2658) * Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm EST] and ask;
      Is this gun reported stolen?
      Manufacture date, does it fit with owners 20 year safe storage?
      Model # and description, What was the factory finish? Did it come with the wrap-around grip? Did it come with two-tone action parts? (trigger, barrel, slide release, thumb safety, grip safety)​

I'd pursue this Colt, you can always buy a new SIG.

SIG's are great guns, but a Colt is history. (I'm just sayin'.)

I forgot to include; Colt did sell a MKIV S70 in satin nickel finish.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

And this is why Cane is the man. If it is satin nickel, that would explain my concerns.