Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the political climate, I prefer to keep a low profile. Let's just say I'm from the general area where Eric Rudolph hid from the feds for so long. I DO NOT follow his philosophy but I do admire his survival abilities and willingness to commit to what he believes. I try to be committed to my beliefs as well, but do not ever want someone else's harm to be on my conscience, unless I am left no other choice but to harm in defence of family or other innocents. I would turn the other cheek if the harm was intended only for me, I think, but on the other hand, my family does need me around to care for them. I use arms for self-sufficient aims. We eat what we harvest from the garden and the field or stream and try to use it all. We had bear roast for supper last night and there is deer and turkey in the freezer. We can and dry foods for storage and hope to get off the grid soon. We have several properties, including 6 acres with a strong flowing spring. Everything we have is paid for. We don't use credit anymore. Haven't for 30 years now. With current trends, we are glad of that. We try to live close to the land and to respect it and the resources it gives us. Been married 30 years, with 4 kids, all now grown, with the youngest still at home. I am considering an AR build for my wife. She is proficient with rimfire and wants to deer hunt next season with me. We may go to 223 and then up to 243 or 7-08. She loves wild game (finally!) and we much prefer it to something a stranger or agri-business has raised. We are concerned with the state of the nation and sometimes feel alone in that. Forums like this help us to know that others are out there.

I'm trying to decide on a kit supplier right now. Does anyone reccomend one supplier over another? We are looking at Blackthorne, Del Ton, Model 1 Sales, MAParts, J&T, etc. I want good parts and the best value. Any help would be appreciated. I've already milled out a receiver from an 80% lower, so that's ready to go if we take the 223 route. I don't know, we may just go straight to 243. Decisions, decisions, ya know? And I thought my wife was fickle! I suppose the 223 could be used for coyotes, groundhogs, or hogs here, but I'm not really a varmint hunter. Groundhog is very good eating though.

This looks like another great site. Keep up the good work.

BTW, my name is Frank and that is also my nature, hense the handle illbfrank...I'll Be Frank with you.

Speak the truth in love.

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Welcome, Frank. You have my sincere respect for being able to pull off what you have: land, self-sufficiency and lack of debt. You're living more like an American should than most Americans.

You're not alone in your concern over the condition of the country. Many people here probably share your views and you're welcome to discuss as much or as little as you like on the subject.

As for an AR kit, you'll probably get more info about particular brand's quality from ar15.com. Buying an assembled upper with bolt carrier group, a (finished) lower, a lower parts kit, and stock is pretty easy to assemble and you should be fine if you stick with reasonable brands. RRA, Stag, Colt, DPMS and others are mid-level but still very good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very cool Frank. I like my Bushmaster M4 rifle that I picked up a few weeks ago. It was complete and in my hands for under $1000...

Welcome to the site!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts