Another new guy thread...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by scott_gen, Feb 17, 2012.

1. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Looking to purchase my first handgun at the age of 40. Mainly for range use but possibly a home defense firearm as well.

If you were only allowed ONE handgun in your collection, what would it be and why?
    Out of the 3 people I've asked in person, their answer has been a 1911 - 45ACP

(hopefully I've picked the correct section to post this, if not, much apogies)

2. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

I love the 1911 and it's my favorite pistol type. But, if I could only have one gun in my collection and it would be used for home defense I would go with something with a larger round capacity. The Springfield XD .45 with high capacity magazine or a Glock 21 comes to mind. Both offer double digit capacity, an accessory rail for adding a light and/or laser, both have plenty of aftermarket parts, and both are readily available for purchase.

I am a Springfield guy and would lean toward the XD but there are plenty of Glock guys out there as well. My first purchase was a Sprinfield XD 9MM and I can tell you that handguns are addictive. Like Lays potato chips "you can't have just one". I will be picking up a 1911 in the next few weeks.

Good luck and let us know what you purchase.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If I were only allowed one gun, I think I'd pick my S&W 627PC. It's a beefy frame not likely to ever wear out in several lifetimes. 5" barrel is a great compromise from a general purpose 4" and a muzzle-heavy 6". It holds 8 rounds instead of six, which lets it compete with 1911s in terms of capacity. You get a bigger variety of ammo from meek .38 Special range loads to fire-breathing full house .357 Mag. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911s. But if you limit me to one gun, the 627PC is WAY more versatile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I JUST took my blue card test Wednesday. As soon as I get it in the mail, I will have the green flag to purchase a handgun here in RI. Thanks for the input.

5. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

*also - I've only fired a handfull of calibers so far -> 38 special, 357 and 45ACP

6. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

I think bub72ck 's opinion is pretty close to mine. The 'Only One Gun' scenario would put me in a full-size auto, no doubt about it. I'm very partial to the Smith & Wesson M&P line of autos as well as Glocks but the Springfield XDm line and Ruger's SR line of autos are incredibly good guns as well. Budget plays a part in those where the Ruger is the least expensive and you work your way through the M&P to the Glock and finally the Springfield and that gives you a price range of around $400-$700-ish depending on model and other possible options. I'd go with something in either 9mm or .45 since .380 is expensive and .40 isn't always pleasant to shoot for some people.

7. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Not a lot of owner/fans here but my choice is going to be the reliable, sturdy, always ready, H&K USP .40 cal. Its got everything I want, need in a handheld weapon

8. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

I always wanted a usp 45 but never had the money for one. I just like the fact that they are HK.

9. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I can understand not being able to spend the money on one, I can't afford one either, a good buddy who is a team guy here on the east coast gifted me this one. After having it a while I'll never buy anything else,, maybe a sig p226.

10. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Momma always said,, kill them with kindness. Well meet my USP. 40 affectionately named "Kindness".

Attached Files:

11. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Double pic,, my B.

12. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I would pick a Ruger Vaquero in .357 mag or .45 LC. But I still ride a horse around the farm.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The USP is one of the most tested platforms on the planet. I have the USP and USP compact both in 45. But if this is primarily for home defense, I agree w the SW627. It can stay loaded indefinitely, and if you get a bad primer, you just pull the trigger again. Large N frame will soak up recoil and be very easy to shoot well. Ammo supply and diversity is excellent.

I keep both a revolver and pistol loaded except I rotate clips for the pistol every 30 days. I have an XDM in 9mm that I've kept the clips loaded continuously for 6 mths and never had problem but I wouldn't advise it. The XDM is the easiest take down I've ever seen and is worth the extra $80 more than a Glock. Points better as well.

Damn hard when limited to only one.

14. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

@Bear304 - that's a sexy looking handgun!

15. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

[​IMG]
    yet another 1911 vote

16. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. Just got your "Blue card" eh? :cool:
    Now you have to get your Yellow card to go to the state range!

A first gun? A lot of good suggestions already. I'll just add; if you go auto, get something that breaks down very easily. It's one of the reasons I like Sigs. For revolvers, maybe a basic .357. Again, easy to clean and you can shoot 38's with it. Take a look at the Rugers.
    Have fun.

17. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Thnx scott, she's my favorite.

18. mcb

mcb New Member

That's a beauty

19. mcb

mcb New Member

I vote for a .357 mag. If concealment is not a concern, a 6" barrel is great for the range with .38spcl or .357 mag. For home defense a .357 mag is still the measuring stick.

20. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I shot .357 today and loved it BUT I also had a chance to fire a 1911 .45ACP......holy cow that bad boy felt S W E E T......

What's this "yellow" card you speak of. Keep in mind I'm as new to this as a baby learning to walk. Thanks again.