Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't resist buying another custom action from American Rifle Co. during their Black Friday sale. The price was too good to pass up. This time, I bought one of their LH Archimedes actions, and it should arrive in the next couple weeks.
I haven't decided on what stock / chassis this action will go into yet, nor finalized what cartridge I'll be running in it.

In the mean time, I'm planning on taking the custom 6.5 CM barrel off one of the RH actions that I have left, and then sell that action and stock.
One thing that I've been tossing around is building a 2Fity Hillbilly. I find it funny that it was named that since after all, it's just a 25 Creedmoor. I sold my 25-06 last year since I rarely shot it, so I've still got a bunch of .257" bullet's in 100gr - 120gr setting around. Blackjack and Berger are now making some heavy .257" bullet's from 131gr - 135gr.
After doing a Twist Rate calculator, if I get a barrel with a 1-7.5 twist rate, I'll be able to shoot everything I have plus the new heavy bullet's out of it.
All I'll need to do is buy a new neck bushing for one of my sizing die's, and neck down some of the brass that I already have. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

To be continued-

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I couldn't resist buying another custom action from American Rifle Co. during their Black Friday sale. The price was too good to pass up. This time, I bought one of their LH Archimedes actions, and it should arrive in the next couple weeks.
I haven't decided on what stock / chassis this action will go into yet, nor finalized what cartridge I'll be running in it.

In the mean time, I'm planning on taking the custom 6.5 CM barrel off one of the RH actions that I have left, and then sell that action and stock.
One thing that I've been tossing around is building a 2Fifty Hillbilly. I find it funny that it was named that since after all, it's just a 25 Creedmoor. I sold my 25-06 last year since I rarely shot it, so I've still got a bunch of .257" bullet's in 100gr - 120gr setting around. Blackjack and Berger are now making some heavy .257" bullet's from 131gr - 135gr.
After doing a Twist Rate calculator, if I get a barrel with a 1-7.5 twist rate, I'll be able to shoot everything I have plus the new heavy bullet's out of it.
All I'll need to do is buy a new neck bushing for one of my sizing die's, and neck down some of the brass that I already have. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

To be continued-
You sell guns you no longer shoot ?
Wow what a concept that I never thought to do ! :p
I seem to have just set them aside & buy different . ( makes a nice pile of guns ) :)
To be honest I have let go of some ...... that's tough to do .
A X wife is a lot easier to let go of ! :p

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sell guns you no longer shoot ?
Wow what a concept that I never thought to do ! :p
I seem to have just set them aside & buy different . ( makes a nice pile of guns ) :)
To be honest I have let go of some ...... that's tough to do .
A X wife is a lot easier to let go of ! :p
Ron, I never got drunk enough to ever get married, so no X wife issues.
I've got 3 gun's that I'll never sell, and they were the first firearm's that my dad & grandfather gave me as a child. Everything else, I'll sell in a heartbeat for the right price

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Ron, I never got drunk enough to ever get married, so no X wife issues.
I've got 3 gun's that I'll never sell, and they were the first firearm's that my dad & grandfather gave me as a child. Everything else, I'll sell in a heartbeat for the right price
Maybe it's because I don't tell people what I would consider selling . Just never seems to come up in conversations about guns .
When I bought that gunsmith estate a few years back my attitude about selling has changed a bit . The amount of parts I have is crazy ...... wish I knew what they went to . :p Every winter I dive back into the piles & see what's there . I have managed to put back together a few long guns so far .
The internet has been a lot of help seeing what parts go to what gun . Finding those parts is when it gets tricky . :)

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
How does their ballistic coefficient compare to the 6.5s,
A sampling of Berger and Hornady offerings.

.257 caliber -- the "reference" examples TH presented:
  • Berger LR Hybrid Target .257 135gr -- 0.334 BC G7
  • BlackJack ACE .257 131gr -- 0.332 BC G7

.264/6.5mm caliber, in similar weights as the .257cal above:
  • Hornady A-Tip Match .264 135gr -- 0.321 BC G7
  • Berger VLD Target .264 130gr -- 0.288 BC G7
  • Hornady ELD Match .264 130gr -- 0.279 BC G7

You'd need to get to 140gr and above to improve on the BC.

.264/6.5mm caliber, in >=140gr:
  • Berger LR Hybrid Target .264 153.5gr -- 0.356 BC G7
  • Hornady A-Tip Match .264 153gr -- 0.355 BC G7
  • Hornady ELD Match .264 147gr -- 0.351 BC G7
  • Berger LR Hybrid Target .264 144gr -- 0.336 BC G7
  • Hornady ELD Match .264 140gr -- 0.326 BC G7

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
How much difference does a G7 of 0.356 verses a G7 of 0.334 make at 600 yards?
With a 200yd zero and identical environmentals (elev, temp, humidity, wind), compared using the Hornady ballistic calculator ...

• Hornady A-Tip Match .264 135gr, 0.321 BC G7: drop at intervals = -19.7" @ 400yds; -65.7" @ 600yds; -145" @ 800yds; -266.6" @ 1000yds.
  • Hornady ELD Match .264 140gr, 0.326 BC G7: drop at intervals = --22" @ 400yds; -73.2" @ 600yds; [email protected] 800yds; -296.9" @ 1000yds.
  • Berger LR Hybrid Target .264 153.5gr, 0.356 GC G7: drop at intervals = -21.7" @ 400yds; -71.7" @ 600yds; -156.7" @ 800yds; -285.5" @ 1000yds.

Basically, each of these three is within 30" of drop at 1000yds, within 8" at 600yds. Not all that different. Basically, a 1.2 MOA (or 0.4 MIL) difference at 600yds, from greatest to least drop.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tx,

I have heard of those 2-fiddly bullets from B and B.
How does their ballistic coefficient compare to the 6.5s,
How you doing Ray? How's life in Alabama going?

The BC's on the heavy 257 bullets compares pretty good to the 130gr class 264 bullets. I don't shoot any of the 130gr bullets out of any of my guns, only do the 140gr & 143gr.
I haven't really looked into which barrel I will use on this new rifle. I still have 500 - 600 rounds left to shoot out of the old 6.5 CM barrel that I will be taking off my RH Savage 12 Varmint action. That will give me plenty of time to order the new barrel for the 25 CM.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Woox Exactus arrived today. It's a really good looking stock. I'm still waiting on my Archimedes action to ship, and my Trigger Tech trigger was supposedly shipped on the 7th, but USPS tracking shows nothing but the label was created.
With the Trucking strike going on in Canada, it may be a while before it shows up.
I've had hell getting my last two trigger's, it sucks that most dealer's don't stock the LH versions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts