Another new acquisition, this time a marlin

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Hunterdan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Well, I sold off my Rossi 92. I was presented with a rare opportunity to purchase a JM stamped 1894c in the coveted 357 mag. I picked it up yesterday and an anxiously waiting to get to the range to put some rounds through it. This thing is CLEAN. I paid a pretty penny, but not as much as I see them going for on gunbroker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Nice. I have one in .44 and really enjoy it.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Awesome. Beautiful gun. I'd like a lever in .357, very much so.

4. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice. Congrats on the find.........:)

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

My 357 marlin is my favorite gun to shoot. Great find.

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

She's purdy I've been looking for a 357 lever gun my self. I hope you two are happy together and have a long relationship. :)

7. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Yeah I'm thinking this will be a lifelong relationship. Not going to change her too much, just add a nice receiver mounted peep.

8. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I shot a friend's .357 lever action today, and I was amazed how accurate it was even with .38s. It was a blast hitting a stump in his pond from 200 yards away with semi rapid fire. I was amazed at how quick and accurate I was with that gun. I would love to have one!

9. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

10. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

After owning one, I'm not sure I would be able to not have one. They are very handy rifles, great for plinking, adequate enough to take medium-sized game out to 100 yards or so, and a great resource in a SHTF situation. My only regret is not being able to roll my own loads yet. I foresee a progressive reloading press in my near future. Very happy I found this one, and don't really regret selling off my Rossi to help fund this one.

11. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I never thought of owning one but now I want one so bad.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Your pictures don't do justice to the Black Walnut furniture

on these carbines, OP. It's the nicest rifle I own.

13. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I just put an xs peep on my 1894. It really aims well but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Most people who go that route seem to never look back.

image-3676814915.jpg

image-3987167611.jpg

14. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I was looking at the xs peeps, but not sure if I wanted to replace the front sight. I'll have to check them out again. The fit and finish of the wood is phenomenal. The checking is perfect, the finish is beautiful. Was well worth what I paid for it.

15. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Changing the front sight is really easy. Just drift the front post out of the dovetail to access the screw under it. Remove 2 screws and put in 2 new ones. I left the buckhorn barrel sights on mine in the folded position by they sell a blank that you can replace it with. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and I could have it back to the way it was in less than that.