Another gun owner targeted by the media is robbed

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Mike72, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Mike72

Mike72 New Member

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yeah, I just read that.

Nothing to see here, move along. :mad:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

3. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

I'm positive I already know the answer to this and not that it really matters, but has anyone associated with this publication ever at least apologized for what they did? It would surprise me to no end if they did, but this was beyond stupid and irresponsible! In all thats ironic, I recently read the Journal News has since reportedly hired armed guards to protect its own staff...

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Not only have they not apologized, they plan to out more gun owners.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

"The homeowner should strike a deal with the perp to drop all charges in exchange for his testimony that he used the Journal News release as a treasure map. This rag and Gannett need to go down."

I like this response.

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Thousands of firearm owner's were exposed. The law of averages would see to it that some of the were robbed. A lot of people who's addressed was not released were also robbed during the same time frame.

When you apply for a permit or license that is a public record, don't be surprised if it is released to the public.

I work for a government agency and everything in my records, including my rate of pay, and personnel record is available to anyone who would be interesting in looking. The only thing redacted is my SSN. I don't whine about it, I understood that going in.

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

So you agree with a newspaper with an antigun agenda publishing the names, and addresses of innocent gun owners without any reason other than to punish them for simply exercising their God given right? Do you think that is right? If not, why are you trying to defend them? It's not hard to believe a criminal who wanted to steal guns would use their map. There's a good chance that is what happened.

8. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

I understand that, but taking public data and then compiling everyone's gun ownership status (no small task), formatting that into an interactive map, then releasing the whole thing is another thing entirely. It's intent was born solely out of malice and contempt for people they don't agree with.

9. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Agreed. Nothing good could have come out of that public posting.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Either what MoreAltitude said or they have one hell of an advertising contract with alarm companies and gun safe retailers. Really, people should invest in a locker if nothing else. At least the thief will have to work to get your guns. Most thieves are to lazy to own tools or they would go to work.

11. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Just because it was legal for them to do it doesn't make it ethical, or even smart. If you work for the govt as a maintenance man, or office worker who'd give a damn about that unless it was just you that they were interested in? We're talking guns here and a security risk for license holders as well as anyone living with them that in many cases are kids.

Correction officers working the jails were required to get a license and they as well had their names and addresses published. Some were even told by inmates that they knew where they lived now. Armored car guards have pistol licenses and could easily be targeted by those looking to commit a robbery, but you're a govt worker with nothing to worry about. Police Officers use their shield as a license, but that rag of a newspaper if they could would've published their information as well. In addition those SOB's wanted a list of what guns were owned by the license holder.

Please don't belittle these license holders and accuse them of whining. If your life's just an open book then let us know what and where your govt job is and post your name and address and phone# here for all of us to see and then tell us how these people shouldn't whine. How comfortable are you with that.

12. Mike72

Mike72 New Member

The thieves stole his gun safe. I think they knew what they were looking for.

13. krosskelt

krosskelt New Member

After breaking open two other safes and not finding guns they were like "THIS HAS TO BE IT! LETS TAKE IT WITH US BOBBY!"

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

the newspapers' actions are not defensible. east coast liberals with a Woodward and Bernstein complex. I hope those morons just keep flyin' over me here in what they call "flyover country". I also think these burglary victims should sue the damn paper for reckless endangerment. newspapers make about 10 cents a year these days, that's probably all it would take to put them out of business.

15. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I'm surprised this hasnt already happened more. I don't even understand what good they thoughy they were doing . The only reason they even had a list to create a map from, is that they were all law abiding citizens. Doing some good would have been posting a map of were all the illegal firearms charges show up in the city. At least people would know what neighborhoods to avoid if they're visiting.

I don't care if what they did was legal. It was a douche bag move for no good reason other than being a douche.

I hope it can be proven the burglary was a result of the map. If it comes out, I'd push for 300,000 counts (addresses posted) of reckless endangerment.

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

The newspaper is salivating.... Hoping that someone uses these guns to murder another classroom full of children. They only care about taking guns from Americans, and they don't care what the cost is...
    Am I being too rash???... Why else did they publish the map?... As a roadmap for criminals to get weapons they couldn't get otherwise.

17. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

This is ridiculous, they should sue the news paper

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

No Tex, I do not agree with what they did. It was a mean and nasty attack
    intended to bring discomfort to the gun owners. I will however, defend their right to compile and publish any public record. The press misuses their powers at times and it is a shame, but if we limited their ability to publish we would be far worse off.

19. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

It's not public record here in Connecticut.

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It shouldn't be public record The fact that they even require any of that info is completely unconstitutional, so the media doesn't have a right to do that. Shall not be infringed means shall not be infringed.

You mean like how they are trying to limit our right to bear arms? The limiting of a right is a double edged sword. If you can limit the 2nd amendment, then you can limit the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, ect.