Another four-legged critter......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by lonyaeger, Jun 1, 2011.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Just found this little whitetail outside our front door. The mom must have dropped him last night and gotten scared away. We'll leave the gate open tonight and, hopefully, mom will come back for him. Otherwise, my wife will try and bottle-feed him.

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Oh, mygod. How absolutely adorable. I'm sure the Mom will come back for him......unless she met a bad fate last night somehow. [​IMG]

Let us know how it goes.

3. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

You could bottle feed it, fatten it up, and then.....ehemmm.....humanely euthanize it for a "higher calling"....:cool:

4. winds-of-change

It would be very fun to bottle feed but you also might consider a wild animal rescue group that is experienced on what to bottle feed a fawn. Not to mention it might not be so fun in the long run to have a tame deer around the house.

That being said.......I might be tempted to try to bottle feed it, too. :eek:

5. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Shoot the darn thing now. They're just long legged rats. Besides, isn't there something like veal venison.

Edited for recipe;
    VENISON VEAL CUTLETS

1 pound venison steak or chops
    1/2 c. onion, sliced
    1/2 c. fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, thyme or 2 T. dried Italian seasoning
    1 qt water
    2-4 T. salt
    1 egg, stirred
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
    1-2 T. olive oil

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Lon

That is fantastic! If the mother is OK I am sure she is within hearing distance of the fawn. She should come back later to feed the little one. If you are like me. Even though I am an avid hunter I feed the deer, turkeys and wildlife here on my property in TN in the front yard. Therefore out of respect that is a Safe Zone. I will not hunt within a mile of the house. Since I normally like animals more than I like some people I have the utmost respect for wildlife and nature. If it stays I am sure the wife will spoil it and protect it. Certainly the biggest enemy would be dogs or coyotes since it looks like you also live in a wooded area.
    Great Picture! Wishing the little one well! :)
    Some of us do not have to always kill everything we see! :rolleyes:

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I'm told by the wildlife experts here that his chances of surviving without mother's milk are slim, because it has an ingredient that can't be duplicated by humans. If we found they baby when he was a week old, his chance of survival would increase exponentially.

A few of our staff members are sure they saw the doe (mother) this morning. She probably got scared away by their vehicles and will come back. I hope. :(

I agree, Sniper, nature in this environment is a wonderful thing. I can hunt and shoot animals close to the house, but something like this is going to get every chance and every bit of help we can give him to survive.

8. winds-of-change

How old do you think the baby is? It's the colostrum the baby needs from his mother to survive. I'm betting it's at least a few days old, don't you think? I don't think he looks absolutely newborn. If so, he may have had enough colostrum to survive. If there is a farm store nearby, they make 'artificial' colostrum for calves whose mothers had died during calving. I think this one will survive if his mother doesn't return.

I must say, I am in love. [​IMG]

9. opaww

opaww New Member

Man the economy really sucks when the dear are dropping off their young at the door steps of humans. Just a few more Lbs and it will be ready for the grill

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

That's it! Colostrum! Couldn't remember the word.

I think he was born last night or early early this morning. And the wife is now calling a vet and a wildlife biologist. We're gonna do everything we can to help him.

If he survives, we have a dog run in the back and that's where we'll keep him until he's old enough to take care of himself. We'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully I'll be able to show you photos in several months of the little deer following the wife around the yard!

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

First sentence pretty funny; second sentence, not as much. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  12. winds-of-change

Keep us posted. I am truly interested in this little guy, indeed. Though it would be fun to bottle feed and be successful, I hope the mama comes back.

13. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Oh come on, who was it that said "bunny veal on the hoof"?:rolleyes:

14. winds-of-change

Any particular reason you think he was just born last night? He could have been born a few days ago and mom just 'parked' him where he lies and told him to stay put until she gets back. :)

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I have no recollection of that.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

You know, just an assumption on my part, but you could very well be right.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

That is better than a house deer. My Dad's cousin "Mern" ended up with a house deer after his kid harvested its mother then found the lil fawn. It was weird to have a yearling deer smell the back of your head while you watch tv on the couch. No, they did not have carpet. It was eventually booted to the backyard when it started growing into a feisty buck. I'm not sure how it ended up, but it lived in the fenced yard for some time (at least a few years) after getting booted from the house.

I am not so sentimental with deer myself, but i would at least use a large caliber to put it down humanely. A bear cub, well my nephew has some nice bulldogs for any of those i meet.

18. jca1

jca1 New Member

Momma will come back.

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I think she already did; no sign of the little one for several hours now.

20. winds-of-change

That's good...........but darn it!!:eek:

And as usual, Lon. Another awesome Jack Handey quote. You keep me laughing.