Another dumb-*ss what to buy thread!!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CardiacColt68, Aug 25, 2013.

1. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Ok, new guy here looking for some guidance. I'll give you some basic background first.

I currently shoot a Walther P22, Walther PPK 380 and a Colt Gov't 45 ACP. I should be picking up my new Colt Wiley Clapp Commander this week. I want one more gun, FOR NOW, to finish off my stable. I'd really like a 1911 in 9 mm. I had pretty much settled on eventually getting a Dan Wesson Guardian, but understand it may be a long, long time before I see one of those. I originally was leaning toward a Colt Defender to go with my other Colts. Now after some more research the STI Lawman sound nice too. I have not handled a Wesson or STI yet as they are rare around here. Do I patiently wait and order a Wesson whenever I can, or do I choose another?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If you just want a great shooter, I love my RIA tactical 9. Everybody I have let shoot it just says, wow.

You don't have to spend 10-15 C notes to get a nice shooter.

I have a standing order for a full size Wiley Clapp, would take a commander if my LGS could get one.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'd have to suggest the RIA as well. for the price they are one great pistol and very well made.

no they aren't a Colt or a Dan Wesson, but neither do they cost as much, but they are a quality pistol at a decent price.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the colt defender is a superb choice. prolly best small 9mm/45acp 1911 ccw out there

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There's just so much good stuff to choose from.

Here's a short list, in no particular order:

The NATO Browning(GP35) or a clone

The CZ 75

The Turkish Stoegar

The Beretta 92FS(obviously some of these aren't 1911s, but
    some don't have the issues they have, either)

6. Mouser

Mouser Member

I have been very pleased with my Springfield EMP, if you are looking for a short barrel 3" 9mm.

It is very accurate, good sites and comes with the holster. It is a little pricey though but I can't say enough good things about it.

7. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I own one and if you can find one, an STI Spartan in either 9 or .45. Best 1911 for around 550.00 you'll ever find

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

The Defender is an excellent choice, love mine. You may also want to look at STIs Spartan line (basically an RIA frame with STI internals). While admittedly I had an extractor issue with mine, it's fast become one of my favorite range guns.

If you don't want to wait around for a Guardian, gunbroker has one with a current bid at $700. I would expect the final price to be twice that, but it's there if you want it and you certainly won't be disappointed.

9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try to get to a few shops this week and fondle some options. I'm in no real hurry so keep any ideas or suggestions coming. I'll be in Charlotte this week so I may add Para Ordnance to my research. I know they make double stacks, but think I want to stick with a single stack.

And to those that suggested some nice reasonably priced guns I say this! Why you wanna kill my dream??? Just kidding. Mrs Cardiac thanks you.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Well then, I know where a couple of Night Hawk Customs are on display and for sale if you want to spend north of $3k.

11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Oh no, don't tempt me. That would get me a very long stay on the couch!

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

9mm? Do you all mind if I endorse the Browning Hi-Power?

13. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I'll kick in a STI vote. I have a Spartan in .45 but it is available in 9mm. My .45 is incredible.

I have considered the DW Guardian as well and decided on the STI Lawman 4.0 in 9mm. Of course it has been on order for about 4.5 months now....and I work at the LGS that ordered it. Goes for about $100 less that the Guardian at $1455 MSRP. Looks like this.

Lawman4_ODG_1a web.jpg

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, Para does offer a single stack 1911 as well.

15. Mouser

Mouser Member

Yes, a Browning is a good counter-offer to a 1911 and you would have a double stack magazine to boot.

New Brownings seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days, but my LGS ordered one for me a few years ago and it was in in less than a week....don't know how that would be now

Attached Files:

16. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Funny! I was killing some time between appointments today, and a store in SC had 2 nice looking, used Hi Powers. I think they were asking around $950 for them. I picked up my newest best friend today so I'll have to start a new savings fund to pay for the 9mm. If I had the cash today I'd still lean STI or Dan Wesson, but I really want to fondle everything I can over the next few months.

Here's my acquisition. Now I need a name for him.

image-73584502.jpg

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

How about The Clapp? Hey honey, I just got the Clapp!

18. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

It's already going to get a little tense, no sense adding to my pain!

19. orangello

orangello New Member

I like the finger marks on the grips. If they were a little different, you could call it "the shocker". :D

Wife might not like that name either, though.