another death

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by unclebear, Jun 19, 2012.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

http://www.wave3.com/story/18820162/shot-gun-goes-off-in-home-wife-dies-husband-arrested

THIS IS WHY THERE ARE SAFETY STEPS!
    This is tragic and this guy will have to live with this for the rest of his life, but if he had taken the time to check his weapon like your suppose to, to make sure where the barrel of his weapon was pointed, none of this would have ever happened. But because of his stupidity someone is dead, I know this BS happens every year but it pisses me off! :mad:

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It's kind of like "Just say no." to drugs.

Just unload it. Every time. Do it till it's a task

committed to muscle memory. It should be second nature.

Always assume a gun is loaded. Then unload it.

Every time you pick it up...

3. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Poor guy , I'm sure he didnt mean to kill his wife . :/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Unbelievable.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Damn. Safety always I hate seeing this in the news.

6. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Such a shame, such a waste, I can't imagine having to go thru life knowing what I had done.

Safety, Safety, SAFETY....

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I feel sorry for the guy! It seems to truly be a "STUPID" accident. Sometimes it never ceases to amaze me that weapon owners have very little skills when it comes to gun handling. We can become very complacent sometimes because of the commonality of handling weapons. I too have shown some of my weapons that I normally keep loaded at the house all the time. But if so I never unload them in the same room or even area where the other folks are. If they are in the living room and the weapon is close I always take it somewhere else to handle the weapon for unloading. And remember the trigger finger is the best safety we have. NEVER NEVER in the trigger guard or trigger area unless we are ready to fire the weapon or have inspected it more than once physically and visually. But even then muzzle control in a safe direction. My Heart goes out to the guy! I can only imagine the ramifications psychologically as well as with the children and living with that one second of his life for the rest of his life. I am sure he would gladly trade places in his mind and can not believe what happened! Someone lost their Momma also! And their Dad as they knew him. He will never be the same!
    God Bless him and the family! Safety! Safety! Safety! All of us have been a little careless on occasion truth known!

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

It's a shame when someone else has to die because of your stupidity . Is it really that hard to keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction and hit the slide release and inspect the chamber and tubular magazine to see if there are any shells in a pump shotgun. If this idiot had just had the common sense to point the barrel in a safe direction his wife would still be alive. This pisses me off. Adults should know better . There is no excuse for this there is so much information out there on gun safety available everywhere. I agree with the charges that were filed against him.:mad:

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Whoa, what the hell? This is what happens when 'familiarity' with doing things suddenly go awry. One must approach the trigger as if it is the first time they came near one. But the lost of a wife, the tragic upset in the kid's lives, and face with prison is much too much to punish one who is already punished for life. :(:(

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree. Yes it was negligent. But it was still an accident. Right?

11. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

An accident ~ exactly.

12. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Many people today consider the two to be the same or outright dismiss the concept of an accidental discharge (AD). The reason is simple, you should never make a mistake with a firearm. Even if the cause of this accadent can be traced to an "accidental" failure to follow safety procedure it is still neglegence.

The idea is that calling it neglegance means one is forced to mentally accept full reapobsibility. Does that mean he needs the book thrown at him? Of corse not! I could not live the rest of my life were I in his shoes though...

13. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

EVERY accident can be avoided.

14. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

He was an idiot, but I don't think he should go to jail for it. He just lost his wife, and took his children's mother away from them. That is more punishment then any sentence he could ever receive. :(

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

+1

My thoughts exactly.

16. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't think that he should go to jail but if that dumbass had just fallowed procedure, none of this would have happened. It pisses me off that people are this damned stupid, I think that he's suffered enough. His kids are suffering his family is suffering, and he has to live with himself for the rest of his life knowing that his stupidity killed his wife. But it pisses me off that we hear these things happen muiltiple times a year and yet people still haven't learned the damn lesson!

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My safety "habit" has unloaded a few rounds I was unaware were

in the guns at the time, on some occasions in the past...

18. NativH

NativH New Member

With 20/20 hindsight. Never had an accident in your life? Really? Not trying to be a smart*ss but "you know what" does happen and it isn't always us who cause it. You can mostly control your own life but outside entities can always get you when you least expect it. Just take a look at what resides in the White House for a perfect example.

19. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have had this happen once to me. Scared the hell out of me.

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Accidents happen, living w it will be punishment enough. For the sake of the children, I hope he can cope.