Another day with the Savage 10

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JonM, Oct 29, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Took the savage 10 fcp-sr out again.

[​IMG]

This time i put my nightforce nxs f1 3.5-15 reticle is the np-rf1 .25moa clicks moa reticle:

[​IMG]

winds were gusting right to left and left to right swirling about due to the high berms making it very swirly.
    temp 51 degrees
    humidity 69%
    ammo was hornady 168grain amax over 44.3 grains of RE15 loaded out to 2.809 OAL using cci primers.

all shots were 300 yards. still using the weak firing pin spring making ignition of the primers iffy at best. i never was able to get 10 in a row to go off.

first group 6 shots 4 fail to fire. 2.5" spread approximate.

[​IMG]

second group 8 shots 2 fail to fire if it wasnt for one flier totally me yanking the trigger this would also be a 2.5" spread

[​IMG]

the good news is that after an annoying morning with the light strikes i stopped by my LGS and he had the warranty replacement spring!!

i just got done replacing the bad one and its a bear to get the end nut off the bolt. had to wrap the bolt in a towel and place in a vice to get the nut off. savage used a small bit of red loctite on the edge of the nut. im grateful they didnt put that crap on the threads!! just a minor spot of it took most of my strength to break it loose!!

spring swap done bolt reassembled so i pulled a few bullets and dumped the powder back in the re15 can. with the new heavier spring all the primers went off. i expect the next range session will not have misfires and accuracy should improve with more vigorous consistant primer ignition.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Very good shooting for 300 yards on a windy day.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

6 fail to fire. I don't like them odds.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah neither do i but the problem has been fixed. savage sent me a stronger spring and its setting primers off even the hard military primers off just fine.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Good. I was looking at a Savage .308 for my next purchase. I'm a lefty and have always shot right handed rifles, so it's gonna be interesting to have one that's actually meant for people like me.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

savage will make you a gun any combination you want. one of the guys that shoots on the weekends here has a left hand savage with right hand ejection.

8. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Nice Shooting! I like your optic.

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Great shooting Jon.

I've found the easiest way to break the bolt nut loose,is to leave the bolt in the action.Just put the rifle in a vice,and that nut will break loose fairly easy,then take the bolt out of the action and finish disassembly.

10. 762

762 Member

nice rifle jon, i think i'm gonna go with a savage for my next long range bolt gun. i need to branch out from remington

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks!! its a lot better than i was lead to believe about the nightforce scopes.

thanks :) i put a write up on taking apart the savage bolt in the general rifle forum. had to use a vice to break it open!! http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/disassembly-reassembly-savage-10-bolt-50826/

i had to replace the firing pin spring :( other than that its been wonderful so far. much better than the 2 previous remingtons ive had