Another day of bonding at the range.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by doctherock, Jan 8, 2011.

1. doctherock

doctherock New Member

My oldest and I headed out to the hills at around 11 AM. When there we met up with my co-workers son for some good shooting fun. We took the new .22 spinning target I got for xmas with us and a box of 90 clay pigeons. For weapons we took my Springfield XD40, the Walther P22, the ISSC M22, Ruger Mini-14 and the Mossberg 500 persuader I got for xmas. My friends son came with an XDM 40, an old coach gun and a Ruger 10/22.

All together I went through 400 rounds of .22, 120 rounds of .223, 100 rounds of .40 and 50 rounds of 12 gauge.

ISSC M-22. I love the fact that I got this free in the contest; however, I do not like the sights at all. They are hard to use due the size of the front sight. My skills with this are not great. I did find that CCI mini mag .22 ammo is the best thing to feed this pistol. I had zero FTF, zero FTE and no feed problems. If I changed over to the federal ammo I purchased in bulk I had a problem with feed and eject of the rounds on every shot. I am thinking about trading this M22 for a ruger 10/22.

Walther P22
    . This little girl is a blast to fire. Smooth operator and balls on accurate. My spinner target saw a ton of hits from this one. Once again the CCI mini mag .22lr was the ticket to no problems. Load a magazine full of the federal and let the swearing begin. I hit 9 times out of ten with this one at the same distance of about 15 yards as opposed to 4 out of 10 with the ISSC.

Ruger Mini-14. Fired about 120 rounds down range but no targets, just clays. My son fired most of the rounds and he is impressive. However I have a video of him shooting with the stock folded and he popped his hot case on the neck cherry. I will edit this and upload. I was firing PMc Bronce 55 grain and some hand loaded frangibles.

Springfield XD40. Once again I continue to be impressed with this particular model. 12 rounds in the mad and she eats anything. Today we were shooting federal 180 grain FMJ. The *****in part was with the moisture in the air and the sun at our backs you could watch the bullet from mid-flight to impact. Truly bad ***. We shot the hell out of the clays with her, I shot about 40 to his 60. Also had a competition with 5 rounds in each mag to see who was fastest. This was my co-workers son and I and I beat him by a full mag. We only fired 2.

Mossberg 500. Fired 50 round down range, the boy only wanted to shoot a few cause he wants to not be sore for water polo. Took a video and burned though 8 rounds fast as she is smooth as astro glyde. I was shooting some el cheapo ammo just for fun.

Another great day and about 4 hours of pure quality time with my 14 year old son Tristen.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLZyivXWrA]YouTube - Quick firing the mossberg 500 persuader[/ame]

3. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Cool stuff doc!
    Looks like a great time was had :cool:

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You can't buy memories like that!

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

It was very fun and only got rained on a few times. I'm a bit sore now though. I have to take pics of the boys neck marks and post em. He will feel those for a few days.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

No you cant Cane. I feel bad though because we a\had an outstanding day and his mom had to ruin it for him. He lives with her but loves coming to my place to get away. Poor kid.

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Heres a video of the boy popping his hot case down the shirt cherry.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ0tuP7q2Qo]YouTube - January 8, 2011 12:46 PM[/ame]

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good stuff Doc.

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks CA. I will be feeling it in my shoulder in the morning.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great lesson doc and you handled it well!

I watched him walk the brass right into his collar.

If it scars up it will be his badge of honor.

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

It scared the hell out of him, he thought he was shot or something. I have quite a few from my last match in England with the M16.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is that what I missed? Dern!

Glad you guys had a good time. Thumbs up!

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Doc, why did you throw the camera down? Hell I wanted to see the rest of the dancing around and hollering! :D

Looks like a great time of shooting and memories, along with a proud branding of honor was had by all. :cool:

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qaI6gexfCA]YouTube - Ruger mini 14. Practice[/ame]

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I didnt want him to shoot his foot so I let loose of my droid and sprinted. It was quite the dance I tell ya.

16. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Doc that is great!! That time together is so important and it looked like a blast!! I am sorry his mom tried to ruin it for him. You know though he will cherish every bit of the time you spend with him!!:D

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Dan it was a great time, it was a nice trip up and the shooting was great. Need M-14 to bring his goods up here sometime.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a friend in Brookings and he tries to get me up there all the time. The problem with being self employed is no spare time for road trips. But maybe next year I'll make the drive with my other friend, and darken your door? My buddy in Brookings has some cool NFA stuff.

I'd better make the drive to see Lon first though, or he may put out a hit on me. :D

19. doctherock

doctherock New Member

That would be cool indeed.

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'd love to burn some powder with you and your son.