Another AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by string1946, Oct 15, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

A friend just left and had a stripped lower and parts for $150 he was selling for someone else so I took it. I have several AR's in 5.56 and one in .308 and a .22 rimfire. I think I want this one in some other caliber. Thought about .300 Blackout and also .50 Beowulf. I know there are several others that can be fit in a 5.56 size lower not sure which one I want to do. I don't hunt so it would just be for fun and maybe protection if needed. Any opinions would be welcomed. The pic is of what I got in the deal.

Attached Files:

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If your looking for cheap ammo go 5.45x39 ,if your looking for a larger caliber go .458 instead of .50 Beow. The .458 has alot more ammo choices out there . IF your looking at .300 blk I wouldn't do it unless you reload , just to pricey . Or you could just go 7.62x39 upper and be ballistically the same as the .300 blk

So many choices , what to do , what to do :D . You'll have that with BRD

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The 300 blackout. It will offer unmatched ballistic variety for your AR. It naturally works in the existing platform, in fact the second round ever to be designed for it.

Edit. Forgot about the 6.8 but it was single purpose and failed to take off. The 300 is easily the second choice for a privately owned AR.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The 458 is nice and accurate BUT it does little that a 308 cannot.
    The 50 Beowulf is different enough to be interesting.

designed to shoot out engine blocks (when in FMJ guise)
    On the other hand an adjustable stock may be too flimsy for 50 beo recoil.

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

The 50 recoil isn't too bad. Buddy's dad bought one when in Iraq and we shot it when he got back. Kicks like a 12 gauge with slugs

6. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still doing my research and as with most everything on the net, opinions are all over the place. I'm not necessarly going to use the adjustable stock on this build so recoil isn't an issue. I just want something different.

7. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

There's 243 or 9mm which I find plentiful as Ammo and fairly cheap to shoot.
    Del

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

+1 on 9mm. I have one and it is a hoot to shoot. Mags are readily available. The poly Promags WORK and Uzi mags can be easily converted.

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Could always do one in 5.7 I know it's a little pricey but a pretty cool set up now the less,

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I own one and even as 220lb guy rarely shoot more than 15 rds per outing and its primarily not due to cost (tho its factor).

the first 2 rounds dont seem to bad.
    but empty out a magazine or two in rapid fire and your should will be black and blue . at least w/o a pad.

I still keep and value the gun because it can do things none of my other guns can.
    But for a magazine fed rifle thats capable of fairly rapid fire the recoil is simply not manageable for women, children, teenagers.

even tho is not terribly practical it is my most fun rifle though :)

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

I've looked at the tactilite stuff before and I admit they are different. Whats 50 cal. rounds going for now? $4, $5 a pop? Wait, I don't think pop is the proper term for a .50. I'm kinda looking at the 6.5 Grendel at the moment. There are some VLD pills out there in 6.5. Decisions, decisions. Going to the mountains in the morning for a week. Me and a glass of bourbon and coke are going to have to do some more research. :D

12. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I have a 6.8 spc and it's fun to shoot and heavy enough to knock down a nice size hog. I would say either 6.8, 6.5 gren, 300 AAC, or 5.7(50 round mags ftw)

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The 6.5 is a do it all cartridge really. Ammo is not cheap but what ammo is any more . The 6.5 will really reach out there also ,its easily a 1000 yard cartridge and will thump anything with massive amounts of shock . I would like a .458 or .50 Beo but with limited range I keep pushing it away . However there nothing like it for stopping a car or truck dead in its tracks :D

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

for hunting or sports also 6.8 It is about $1 a pop factory not too bad for today.

15. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Box of remmy 6.8 at academy is $17.98 I love mine it is accurate and packs a punch

16. string1946

string1946 New Member

I'm really leaning hard toward the 6.5 unless something else catches my eye before I can round up the green. I like the idea of a .50 but now that I think about it, its been months since I needed to shoot a truck. :D

17. string1946

string1946 New Member

Now I need to think about barrel length. I think I want at least 20". Not sure how much advantage going to 24" would be if any.