Another ar newb

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by homelessguy01, Mar 25, 2012.

1. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Hi folks I've been trolling through the ar threads for a while and figure I'd start my own q and a session.
    I've been itching for an ar for a while and about may of last year was about so close to buying a ruger sr 556. I'm glad now I diddnt.
    After reading through agent tikkis excellent beginners guide and mulling over websites I think I've came up with a vague notion of what I want.
    Purpose wise I won't be reaching out to extremely long ranges will be shooting off hand mostly. Weight isn't that much of an issue but I still don't want to be humping a pig around.it Will definitely be seeing a high round count. I will be setting a loading bench up soon hopefully.

I've Initially decided with a PSA stripped lower(79.95)
    with their ultimate parts kit(comes with magpul furniture which I'd be buying anyway and a giesselle ssa 2 stage trigger. ( 369.00 )
    For an upper I'm looking at a 16 inch BCM mid length with a Midwest industries 12in hand guard( 719.00 )
    So I'm looking at 1200 bucks plus transfer fees and sum back up sights. Staying away from optics and stuff till I research it. Il hopefully be geared up by may for purchase.

So what are your thoughts ar gurus is it a decent build is there anything else I should know or any advice on tools or anything I should get?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds like a good plan.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I think you'll very be happy. Please provide the requisite gun pron as soon a possible :D

Might i recommend diamondhead sights?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. jca1

jca1 New Member

I've read so many AR writes it gives me a headache to think about it. If I ever buy an AR it will be a PSA kit, I'll never wear it out.

5. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Sounds solid. May I suggest a stag upper, high volume of shooting they have a lifetime warrantee.. But thats just a suggestion other than that solid.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What do you feel the Stag has over the BCM?

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I guess a lifetime warranty, but I think they only offer than with the upgraded milspec package.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hmmm, could it be that Stag believes their $100 milspec parts upgrade is of better quality and more likely to last a lifetime. :p

homelessguy01, sounds like you're on the right track with PSA and BCM.

9. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Nothing over them. Just a friendly " hey have you looked at this option" and its now with all stag barrels. like I said though your plan is rock solid. You've done your homework and made a solid plan. Its nice to see instead of most who start out and flock to the nearest blog asking for help instead of doing some research. Good on you! Hope to see pics soon. The ar in my profile just got new magpul heat shields and rail sections this weekend and the new stock is coming!

10. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Thanks for the input guys! il gave to check up on those diamond head sights. I have to say this forum is great source of information even the old threads are a great read!

Optics wise I was thinking aimpoint maybe. Do they have any reasonably priced mid range scopes or red dot? I know jack all about optics

11. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Ps. I hope it will shoot steel cased ammo.. Lol

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Find a quality used Aimpoint H1 w/ mount. www.m4carbine.net is a great source. One of my H1s was purchased used w/ a Larue mount, nothing wrong w/ buying lightly used.

13. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Just killed me..please tell me you did this just bc of my rant on another thread.

14. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Lol yea I've seen a few debates between Mjkeat and billt aswell it makes for good reading haha!

15. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Ya I was reading that..if your life depend on your gun you dont buy on a budget is all ill say on that.

16. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You can buy on a budget, but you are better served to avoid being cheap. Inexpensive is one thing. If one has patience, they can find a couple of buys, and get good equipment without having to sell one of the kids.

17. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Inexpensive is fine! Shoot I have two inexpensive ARs but never "cheap"! Go to a gun show and vendors run "show specials" I tear those up and I'm sure everyone else does too and for plinking thats great the comment you quoted is actually inre to another thread 'walmart AR'. I have no problem with inexpensive parts. That being said I also have the expensive guns as well and appreciate the 'small but enjoyable' differences..

18. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Anyone any experience with that giselle 2 stage? Is it worth the price?

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd recommend a Geissele.

But I'd recommend you shooting the milspec trigger first and seeing howit works out for you before investing in an aftermarkt trigger.