Another approach to Ammo Stashing

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bluez, Feb 27, 2020.

1. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

You can load 410 with 444 cases

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Great discussion.

One more thing that occured to me as I was reading...

When buying Ammo in bulk you will likely catch them form the same batch.
    So when I order 3 or 4 cases of say PPU 55gr or Wolf military Classic 62gr from militaryshooters.com, bestpriceammo, J&G sales, SG Ammo, ammunition to go, the armory, ammunitionstore.com etc etc

Then you will get ammo from the same batch.

So those 3 or 4 cases = 3000-4000 rds..
    Once I am zeroed for it, I do not need to rezero my AR in the middle of a SHTF.
    I have the option of not having to rezero and get consistent point of impact throughout the batch for that entire run.
    Only when I am done with this batch and need to shoot (fight?) with the next batch then I need to rezero.

I am not a proponent of the grey man concept.. I think it is overdrawn and does not apply in many situations (otherwise if it held true then uniformed cops would be the most robbed demographic and they are not) but still there COULD be a situation where I do not want to draw needless attention to my retreat via my rezero shooting.

So have large samples of the same batch of ammo can be useful IMHO.

towboater likes this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have checked into that and the start up cost is getting a little high for a toy. Dies are cheap but I have not found a source for cheap cases. New brass is $.75 to 1.00 + shipping. Also there are some drawbacks with case wall thickness and on some guns rim thickness. I might get into it if my shooting 410 increases. The tools I made for plastic shells can be used in the field if necessary. Probably would work for brass as well with a different decapper.
    Interesting idea for shtf is 1 loaded 12 gauge would make 2 410 if you had primers.

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  4. oO_Rogue_Oo

Yeah, I always have my eye out for once fired brass and pick it up when I can. Usually in small numbers though from local people. After hunting season is a good time. So far I haven't run into any issues with cases.

JTJ likes this.
  5. Bill Barth

Bill Barth New Member

Hello,
    My question is how to store all this ammo? I'm always concerned about fire. Even a fire proof safe would not protect live ammunition from exploding.
    Bill

6. oO_Rogue_Oo

Actually it is recommended NOT to store ammunition in a safe or other metal container. The container allows a pressure build up which can cause an explosion. Same goes for powder if you are a reloader. Recommended storage is in wooden containers / cabinets. The Fire Fighter Nation link below is a short interesting read. The video is something I watched years ago and found interesting although lengthy.

https://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/exploding-ammunition-is-this#gref

towboater likes this.
  7. Bill Barth

Bill Barth New Member

Very good information. I was unsure what would happen in the event of a fire. Not nearly as bad as what I thought. Wood boxs it is from now on.
    I really appreciate your quick response. I'm new to firearmstalk.
    Bill

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  8. echo1

echo1 Active Member

If a fire destroyed my collection & ammo, it wouldn't matter cause I'd prolly kill myself over the grief. PAX

bluez likes this.
  9. Bill Barth

Bill Barth New Member

Let's hope you and your collection stay safe for many years to come.

bluez likes this.
  10. echo1

echo1 Active Member

Well maybe not that bad, but I would feel like I died. If a fire was that severe, it'd likely take out my beloved Sunbeam Tiger too :eek:. Guns, fast cars, & flyin machines, glad I don't do boats. PAX

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  11. Bill Barth

Bill Barth New Member

I'm impressed. Love the sunbeam tiger. Is it fair to assume a 289 ford?
    Flying machines, are you a pilot? I been around airplanes all my life of 66 years.

echo1 likes this.
  12. echo1

echo1 Active Member

Thanks. My Tiger is actually a 1966 Alpine 260, a right hand drive machine, 1 of 6 or 8 in the US and one of 550 built. It does have a K-code Hi-Po 289 out of a '67 Mustang fastback (I've got the 260 stashed), it's my 3rd Tiger. I like AMXs too, had 4, a '68, 2 '69s. & a '70.

I soloed in '68 (900+ hours), went to work for a crop dusting outfit in '76 as a ground crew chief. At the time it was the last of that era. We had a J3, a 172, a 210 and a metalized Stearman with a 440 Wright, constant speed prop, and sprung steel gear (like an Ag-Cat). It was very fast, as quick as the 182, you could make the flyin wires "sing". I've had a '56 Tripacer PA-22 160, '63 182E Skylane, and a '72 Rallye Minerva (220 Franklin). I hope to acquire a LongEz this year. I'm 69, PAX

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    towboater likes this.
  13. Bill Barth

Bill Barth New Member

Impressive flying career. I never been an aircraft owner. Always wanted to but had 4 kids to raise and a wife.
    I fly for the San Burnadeno county sheriffs department. All fixed wing. We have three king airs and other members of the squadron have there own single engine aircraft. I fly a 182 RG and commander 114.
    I bet you have a lot of good stories to share. I have one quick one, almost went down in a Cherokee arrow. Airport altitude was 3200', hot day and 4 people. Like taking off at 8000 feet because of density altitude. Got as high as 50' and started to stall. The PIC, not me managed to hold a nose up attitude and got home safe.
    Long ez, is this like the very ez with the retractable nose gear?
    Happy to see your still flying.
    Bill

echo1 likes this.
  14. echo1

echo1 Active Member

Good job Bill thanks,

I got my rigs before my kids were born (Tiger too), and when you work at a strip for a crop duster, finding & owning aeroplanes is much, much, easier & cheaper. Some of the pilots were WWII vets, THEY had stories, mine pale compared to theirs, but I've got a few. One owner was a B24 & B29 instructor, the other saw the Macon cruise by on it's fatal flight. He lived in San Simion. When I started in '76 we still flew Stearmans then transitioned to Ag-Cats. I was there for 10 seasons before I had to find a real job to support my family for the next 35 tears. I managed to fly or catch a ride on over 20 SEL, including a '36 Kinner Sportwing and an Otter. It wasn't until last year when I retired that I was able to get back in the game. Our 2 ag pilots I know, both local saddle tramps to me, had been after me to run the ground operation for Jensen Aviation in Pingree, Idaho for some time. Next month with be the start of my second season with them. I managed to squeezed out some time in a Citabria, Luscombe, and a 182. All the rigs are set up for bush, fat tires, stall fences, STOL. Our strip is 4500' long at 4800'. We've got an Air Tractor, Thrush. & a Cat. Nice to talk with our hands with you. I think the Long ez has more wingspan too. Be well, PAX

towboater likes this.
  15. echo1

echo1 Active Member

Bill, with the type of flyin you do, can you get by with a limited commercial? PAX

16. Bill Barth

Bill Barth New Member

Yes PAX, A private or even a sport license is fine in some applications. Some members have it all, multi engine, jet, IFR, rotary. Not me. Some are instructors as well. The SBCSD is sometimes hired out by the border patrol and other law enforcement agencies. The need ranges from search and rescue to drug smugglers with the BP. There has been no activity for over three months because of covid 19. All meetings and training has been put on hold.
    You must do some fancy flying in that type of aircraft. And you take off at 4800' wow! I only seen videos on bush pilots. Please stay safe PAX. When you get a chance look up vortex generators. They mount on the wings and horizontal stabilizer. The claim is better lift and increase your stall speed. Don't know if it's true yet. Our unit commander installed them on his 182 but I have no word yet.
    And yes it is nice to finger talk.

echo1 likes this.
  17. echo1

echo1 Active Member

We totally thread jacked so I'm going to PM. PAX

18. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Back on subject. I found a box of tula 38 special and 357 mag. I thought i pulled all my steel case and reloaded into brass. Project for the next bad weather day. I loaded 100 ea of 223,38 super and 44 mag today. Cold and windy today. Tomorrow sunny and 60. So range time ahead.