Another approach to Ammo Stashing

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bluez, Feb 27, 2020.

1. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd have to start buying 2000 rounds at a time..

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I look at ammo stocks two ways. How much ammo could this gun use in one hour of constant use or one trip to the range & how the gun is used. You wouldn’t expect a bolt action sniper rifle to use as much as your AK. But an AK is going to eat up more ammo than an AR. I also figure in that I reload & have to stock up components because I have to have double what I have ready to shoot.

Caveman Jim likes this.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Why would an AK eat up more ammo than an AR?

4. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

let it go brother... it aint worth the headache. ;)

AgedWarrior, alsaqr and Oldoutlaw like this.
  5. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Oh look, here we are right in the middle of yet another ammo panic.

alsaqr likes this.
  6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

just curious, I had never heard that before.

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

He goes by 7.62 Man. For him an AK will eat up more than someone that goes by 5.56 Man

AgedWarrior and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I was wondering that myself.:confused: Maybe it's because an AK or an SKS never jams?

Caveman Jim likes this.
  9. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Or maybe the AK is just less accurate...? :rolleyes:

towboater and JTJ like this.
  10. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I do not follow the systematic approach bluez explained, but I agree with the concept of stocking ammo and reloading supplies commensurate with consumption rate of guns in those calibers and with a regard for potential need in time of trouble or shortage. I do not like to be caught flat footed when hoarding begins nor limited should a really bizarre event occur which I cannot and do not really foresee.

bluez, JTJ and RJF22553 like this.
  11. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I go with: ammo stashed where the gun is stashed, ammo stashed where it is most likely to see use. So a stash of .45 in the living room, 9 MM in the bedroom, .38 in the baja bug, et cetera. a stash being a full box. if you have not solved the problem in 50 rounds, you are surrounded and overwhelmed

12. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I limit the number of calibers in my "arsenal" because I'm a retired logistician and understand the challenges of a variety of ammo types and keeping a decent inventory of each.

There are seven calibers/types of ammo I maintain, including .22LR and .22WMR, and also .223 and 5.56 as separate types. I have varying numbers of firearms for each caliber/type, and my purchasing decisions vary depending on my typical usage to maintain proficiency. For most, I have more than one firing the same caliber, but also have a few that are unique. For those unique ones, I keep a decent stockage as they are mostly defensive in nature and - other than standard practice - don't get consumed a lot.

For others, I stack deep and high; mostly 9mm and 5.56/.223. Mostly because they are fun to shoot. .22LR is in abundance, as is the previous two calibers. Never, ever, want to be in a position again deferring practice because of stockage and availability...

Oh, BTW, I consider anything less than six loaded mags for semi-autos to be insufficient. For each weapon.

13. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

What if the "problem" is an ammo panic that lasts several years?

JTJ likes this.
  14. echo1

echo1 Active Member

"As a rule of thumb I always have on hand as a minimum as much ammo as the price of the gun can buy."

That won't work for me. I'm a mil surp, C&R kinda guy and have too many weapons for that logic, 40 SKSs alone ( some cost $75 bucks & others $600), but only 1 AR, and it's a poser (NFA). I have 9MM, .357 mag, .41 mag, .45 & .22 pistols and thousands of boolits for those.

My thought process is a little skewed. I have a crew and don't intend to bug out when SHTF. We'll hunker down. We can field 12 SKS equipped 3 man teams, supported by an SAR8, a Garand, a SVT40, & 2 FN49s. The heavy hitters also have enough bolt guns in the same calibers to build 3 man fire teams, some bolts and single action guns are scoped. WHEN it goes south, we'll have a good start, prolly trip up but be ok. My house is the designated rally point.

PS, some guys in town have .30 & .50 MGs, all legit. We won't be getting over run at the onset. Our little ag hamlet is totally geographically defensible and not what you'd expect from a Kali community. PAX

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    bluez and primer1 like this.
  15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

As mentioned by another poster we are in an ammo panic again. When 22lr went away years ago the shortage lasted quite a while. I was sitting on 12K rounds mostly because I ran into a fantastic buy (.014 per round) just before things went bad. I had plenty of 22lr to shoot. Not so much 22 mag which I consider grossly overpriced. I was able to buy steel 223 and 7.62x39 hollow points for close to the same price as 22 mag.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

A peace of mind is very important to me when it comes to my guns and ammunition. As texhillbilly stated he has been reloading for over 40 years and the same here.
    But I have some advise. Do not wait until the starter pistol fires before you decide to prepare. I started preparing for the worst many years ago. And a little at a time does not hurt the pocket so bad. One of my friends buys one box of some type ammunition when he and his wife go to the store every other week to get groceries and what they need. Being 22s mostly, 9mm, 12 or 20 Ga. Shotgun Shells. I have plenty of store bought ammunition for every caliber gun I have. And as a back up like TX, I have reloading dies, powder, primers and cases for every caliber weapon I have. So regardless of any not being available at a store. It will not be a problem if they are out. I will just load my own. If you have for for example a 458 SOCOM or a 338 Lapua Magnum loading is they best option! Who can afford to continue to buy factory ammunition for them especially? "I can't nor will I. I do not shoot either one of them that much but reload for both.
    So my advise is do not wait for hard times being political or what ever before you prepare. It needs to be done in the good times. Like don't wait for the gun scare to go buy a gun for example. Or do not wait until the ammo scare to start preparing.;)

partdeux and JTJ like this.
  17. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Shot some of my stash today. 50 45 colt, 50 10mm and a 100 mix of 38 special and 357 mag. :D All wheel guns.

AgedWarrior likes this.
  18. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts, and responses. I can't say that I have a single approach to guns OR ammo. I enjoy unique designs and odd calibers. I'm also a reloader which makes things a little easier. I have a stash of "factory" ammo in most calibers and stopped buying ammo years ago (excluding rimfire and shot; I don't load shotgun rounds). Now I buy components and load my own. Because I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting and due to schedules and convenience have more time to reload; I have a good supply of ammo. I base my buying on the deal mostly; and on stock levels of course. When I run across a good source for cases I buy. Then I'll go about keeping my eye out for a good deal on bullets. Powder and primers Pretty much the same. If I'm short on something I go looking but even when I'm not short on something if a deal comes along I invest. Powders and primers are the easiest because they tend to cross many calibers; bullets also to a lesser degree. I load for almost 20 pistol caliber and over 40 rifle calibers. I try to spend at least a couple of hours a week loading. That said my biggest problem is storage. I have a room dedicated to storage and am ALWAYS looking for improved organization ideas but it is a losing battle. No matter how much time I spend shooting; loading always outpaces it. Add to that the fact that I have begun trying to interest my son in reloading (I want to pass on the skill); If or when he starts; storage is going to become a REAL problem.

EDIT: I've even started thinking about getting an FFL so I can start selling specialized reloads in the rarer calibers. Would satisfy my reloading niche while allowing me to stop building up stock. I have dies for probably over 70% of every caliber ever produced. Not production type stuff; but runs of under 1K.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been reloading for a long time also. While sitting around I have loaded some 357 magnum and 223. If I lived in a restricted state like Kalifornistan I would be putting away a lot of 357 mag and 38 spl. A 357 rifle and handgun combo would be very practical and well below the radar. Also have been looking at 357 sabot loads. 357>308 sabots are available and you can get some decent velocity with a better BC for the weight. For use in my single shot rifle. Already have some 158 grain subsonic loads and could go above 200 grains.
    I made up some very basic loading tools for 410. I need to pick up some primers and wads. It would not be hard to make tools for 20 and 12. Been looking at possibilities for slug loads using Brenneke type attached base wads. A couple of possibilities there. 40 cal or use a shot cup and go 355/357. Shot cup would act as a sabot. Mostly playing around.

20. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I'm glad that formula works for you. For me I have to issues that would prevent me from using it. I go though disproportionally more of some types of handgun ammo that many others. Also I have multiple 1911 with a value range of let's call it $700 to over $3,000. Which one is my guide? I also have a rather pricey .35 Whelen that I'll NEVER own that much ammo for. I have about 10 20 round boxes of the ammo it's sighted in with and that will last me AND my son a lifetime. And there is no way I'm buying multiples of the value of one of my .38S&W revolvers because they get shot MAYBE every blue moon. Same with my 5 figure value .375 H&H.

Last thing I don't consider all my guns "useful". Many I just own because I want them and having a random box or two of ammo for them on the bench is good enough.

towboater, JTJ, bluez and 1 other person like this.