Another approach to Ammo Stashing

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bluez, Feb 27, 2020.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I believe Ammo is just as important.., no scratch that, more important, than the firearm itself.

Guns last a long time but Ammo goes "Bang" and is then gone, so the actual "agent-of-harm" that is the limiting factor in my ability to put effects on target is the Ammo, not the firearm.

As a rule of thumb I always have on hand as a minimum as much ammo as the price of the gun can buy.
    That way you balance the resources allocated to each and not have an unbalanced supply of guns vs ammo.

Here are some examples of this concept:

If I have 3 guns of the same type/price, say 3 GP100s
    Street value of 1 GP100 say 500-580 bucks. So to support 3 GP100s I will stash at least $1500-1600 of .357 Ammo for them. So about 4500 rds... maybe a mix with cheaper 38 SPC will bulk up that number..

If I own 2 AR15s at approx 1000 dollars each = 2000 dollars worth of 5.56/.223., so maybe either 10,000 rounds of steel case .223 or 6500 rounds of brass 5.56 , or some combination thereof would be an appropiate amount of ammo.

A 50 Beowulf thats worth maybe 1000 dollars ..... .50 Beowulf ammo is 2-3 dollars a round.. call it 2.50 so for that rifle I might feel 400 rds are a proper stash
    ...again its about balance, it would be foolish misallocation to try to support this niche rifle needing very expensive Ammo, with numerically as much ammo as an Ar15 or a pistol so its not really about the number of rounds per firearm.. but a balanced allocation of dollars..

A cheap firearm (say a 22LR single shot) accordingly is less of an investment of resources so correspondingly will get less $$ invested into its ammo to maintain its function in the face of a shortage (which numerically may still be quite a bit given the low cost of 22LR).

So you can see how this helps accomplish balance.....an expensive firearms tool deserves to be enabled by a correspondingly greater amount of ammo resources allocated to it.

Conversely It makes little sense to own a half dozen ARs worth maybe $6,000-7000, but only have 1000 rds ($200-350 value depending) to support their function. That would be an incredibly lopsided allocation of resources.

This is why I stopped buying new rifles in past couple of years..

I realized if supplies of ammo and arms ever stopped.. I'd be running out of bullets long before I'd be running out of functioning rifles.

And that would be a waste ...

Bear with me fellas I'll take it a step further.... as it applies to other classes of gear as well..
    ....correspondingly once I realized this, I even sold some ARs to convert their value into ammo, training, and key accessories such as lots of mags and quality Nightvision, for a better balanced stash.

Owning 10 ARs with only 20 Mags and a couple thousand rounds is much less useful than owning 2 quality ARs backed up by 10,000+ rounds, a couple good chest rigs, mags out the wazoo and quality Nightvision

towboater and JTJ like this.
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

That's why I've reloaded for over 40 years,I always have supplies to make more ammo. Cartridges that I don't shoot much,I usually keep 400-500 rounds loaded up,and ones that I shoot often I keep at least 1k rounds loaded for each gun in that cartridge.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Problem with reloading, and I LOVE the product and activity, I've been doing too much shooting lately and not enough reloading. Literally down to a couple hundred rounds of 9mm :(

For AR 223, I filled up all the stripper clips I have, which literally filled an ammo can.

.327 which I'm not reloading, Just about out of that round too... gotta get more, especially since cabelas no longer carries it.

For someone that said he was going to limit calibers to 3 or 4... bawawawa!!!

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  4. rock185

rock185 Active Member

bluez, I fear I am way underammoed:eek:

Rifling82, OLD Ron and Caveman Jim like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep a good bit of ammo for my primary guns. I am cutting back on firearms. I sold one of my AR's through the lgs and I may sell another leaving me with 1 AR plus the Mini and a bolt. I am going to sell off my 2 40 cal and whatever ammo I have for them. I will be putting the money into better gear. Trying to make things work together. The 9's all use Glock mags except for the Shield. We go through a lot of 22lr so I keep quite a few thousand rounds. I had 12K+ 22lr when the shortage hit. Interesting that you could find 40 and not 9. Lots of 243 around then but 308 was hard to find. Makes me think about getting a 243.

Rifling82 and bluez like this.
  6. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Think about how much you have, then get twice as much when you have the same caliber handgun and long-gun

OLD Ron, bluez and Trunk Monkey like this.
  7. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I've said this before but my approach to "ammo stashing" is to intentionally limit myself to a very small number of calibers (4) and to concentrate on one platform.

Of the small number of handguns that I own half of them will operate just fine on a Glock 19 magazine. Of the 4 that won't I have a double digit supply of magazines for them.

Our ammunition buying strategy is to save money, watch the sales and when we see a good price we buy regardless of how much we have on hand.

OLD Ron likes this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been thinking about picking up an XDM9 & stocking up on 9mm, selling off the 40S&W due to the arthritis in my hands and fingers. I'm now forced to trigger with my middle finger...:eek::eek::eek:
    I've got .223/5.56 covered as far as components, just need to sit in the ammo making chair more often...:p

OLD Ron and Ghost1958 like this.
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

PS: On limiting calibers.. here I dont purport to have any "new approiach to analyze" this set..
    but I focus my stash on primarily 5.56mm for the Tactical Rifle .
    I have the same amount of money in ammo as I do in AR15s.
    My "Off caliber ARs" Also have as much money in ammo as in gun(s).

9mm is the next one up but I dont focus real heard on that since i dont consider it a tactical caliber. I still make sure I never drop below 3 cases to support my three 9mms (this is a bit below my value guidelines... but again handgun ammo not really a focus for me)

.357 Magnum and 38 SPC I count together since they support the same guns. (albeit these are mostly intended as "training" guns in 38 SPC for newbs) or as a trailgun in 357 Magnum.

JTJ likes this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Bluez, I have to consider 9mm as tactical. My wife can handle an AR9 braced pistol but no longer an AR15. Too much up front weight for her. It is either that or 22lr. I am keeping 1 piston AR and a 5.56 bolt that uses AR mags. I do have a Mini 14 but much prefer the Mini 30 and I have a bolt that shares mag with it. Considering selling the Mini 14. Steel cased 5.56 and 7.62 are cheap. In steel I only use the 62 grain hp in 5.56x45 and 124 grain hp in 7.62x39. I do have soft point hunting rounds for 7.62x39. Since I dont see a possibility of bugging out I keep a supply of buckshot for the 12.
    I was talking to a guy the other day and he made a good point. He is getting an AR45 braced pistol. His point is a 45 ACP 230 grain subsonic bullet at a max range of 50 yards would do as well as a 300 BO for a lot cheaper and a lot more availability. The 45 has HP ammo that is proven at the lower velocities. He is planning on suppressing it.

11. Trunk Monkey

This is my opinion and I'm thinking about is am writing so I may not get it right.

Obviously depends on the situation but in almost any WORL situation I can think of you would probably be better off keeping a low profile.

I would definitely prioritize stealth over fire power. So, my choice would almost always be a handgun and that makes 9mm a tactical option for me.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

That's interesting
    I've never heard of someone having a dollar amount of ammo to gun value in each cartridge size. I'd have to win the lottery to stock up that much ammo to equal the price of most of my custom rifles,and then buy 3 or 4 spare barrels for each rifle in order to shoot that much ammo.
    For people that only shoot a few different cartridges that could be pretty simple to do,but for someone like myself that shoots 19 different cartridges,along with having multiple firearms in about 15 of them,that would add up quick,besides causing a storage issue.

JTJ and OLD Ron like this.
  13. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Kinda that way here too TX .
    In my world keeping track of gun & ammo costs is a waste of time . Only time cost comes in is when I am buying or selling things . Knowing how much things are costing kind of takes the fun out of shooting . Knowing that I just sent the cost of a large pizza down range would be a bit depressing ! :p
    Knowing I have enough guns & ammo to go & shoot all day & not run out is all I need to know . People that are hooked on #s are usually accountants in my experience . I am not one of those ....... I just pay them to do the numbers .

Caveman Jim and Txhillbilly like this.
  14. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

Ok, maybe I am not as smart as everyone else but how is this "balanced". Guns have varying cost and ammo has varying cost. How is using the price of the gun "balancing" your supply buy using its cost as a indicator of dollars put toward ammo. You might have 40 boxes of one caliber and 26 boxes of another. The space that it takes up with probably be different, the weight will be different, the cost is different, actual number of rounds is probably much different. Unless all your guns are the same style, caliber, make and model.. I am not sure how you get a "balance" by utilizing this method.

This method does allow for a easily memorable rule which can eliminate the pondering which can be associated with "how much ammo" to buy. It seems to be a rule in search of a problem that does not widely exist. You either have ammo or you dont.

I am not sure I really follow the logic regarding "resources" and the cost of the gun. I have put optics on guns which cost more than the gun. I have more ammo for guns I like to shoot more, no matter the dollar investment. Self defense guns have more invested than my hunting guns simply because self defense is more important. Initial cost of the gun has nothing to do with it.

I simpy do not follow the logic but its probably my fault. I likely misunderstand your system or the problem you are trying to curtail. What does it matter if you have unbalanced resources allocated toward minimum ammo? My ammo supply has never been balanced and will likely never be balanced ( on purpose).. what calamity am I risking?

My system is much more minimalistic: I only have a couple of weapons so it makes it much easier.

RIFLE: I get standard USGI ammo can and fill it up with ammo. Its probably 680 rounds(boxed) and that is my minimum. In addition to my minimum, I will have enough ammo for my next range session stored in a separate "range" box.

PISTOL: I get (slim) USGI ammo can and fill it up with ammo. Its probably 450 rounds(boxed) and that is my minimum. In addition to my minimum, I will have enough ammo for my next range session stored in a separate "range" box.

The range box is orange (stenciled) "RANGE" followed by the cal.

The home box is OD green (stenciled) "HOME" followed by the cal. Every 5 years or so, I will freshen my home boxes with new ammo.

You guys with thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo undoubtedly have a different system and that is just fine. I simply subscribe to something much simpler and do not anticipate the availability of ammo to dry up in my lifetime.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  15. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

I am not a big SHTF or WORL person but I accept that many issues can potentially cause a significant disruption in services which could destabilize the fabric of society for a time. To that end, I agree with what you are saying. If you cannot readily carry the ammo on your person, manage, store and protect it ( on the move), its probably not much good realistically.

deg likes this.
  16. Trunk Monkey

Then last ammo panic taught me two lessons that I will never forget.

The first lesson is that I'm absolutely convinced that the last ammo panic wasn't the last ammo panic. The second lesson was get it now because you may not be able to tomorrow. (FWIW I'm the same way about magazines).

During the last panic the major manufacturers were running 24/7 for several years and couldn't meet demand. I've heard a lot of people say the shortage was artificially induced and and I've decided I really don't care if it was or not. The shortage was real regardless of the causes the shortage was real and it lasted for years. So I don't think it's unreasonable to have a couple of years supply on hand.

I've said it before but my easy-to-remember remember rule is to put a little money aside from every paycheck and when I find a sale I buy as much as I can reasonably afford.

If nothing else, I look at ammunition as a durable good that will never again be cheaper than it is right now.

ETA: As far as a WORL scenario I've seen enough of them not have any problem believing that they're a likelihood.

This wouldn't be ammunition specific of course but I live in Colorado. I remember the blizzard of 96. I remember the governor declaring a state of emergency, calling out the National Guard and ORDERING people off the streets (not that there were many to order). As a result my wife and I keep food on hand and we have an alternate means to heat our home.

OLD Ron likes this.
  17. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

If bad things were to actually happen ( and I doubt it) I would be much more concerned with the availability of clean water, hygiene, food, fuel, medical services.

Firearms can certainly be an important part of any survival system but I try to keep things in perspective and reasonably measured. Mad Max and Thunderdome aint coming. I accept that a person may need to defend themselves from a armed criminal attack. To that end, sure.. you may need a little ammo.

If a person wants to buy it cheap and stack it deep, I wont criticize him/her. Its just not my thing. One gun, one ammo can, that's my system and method.

I responded here to simply get an understand on how spending the cost of a gun ( on ammo) is in any way a "balance of resources". I will hang around a bit and see if anyone answers my first post in this thread. Guns have different prices, ammo has different prices, you will undoubted end up with varying number of rounds and boxes, some taking up more space than others and weight will be different. Where is the balance?

Trunk Monkey likes this.
  18. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I been stocking up on 22lr. Just in case there is another ''shortage'' I buy a brick or 2 sometimes. Everytime i go walmart. Im well stocked on reloading supplies. I did ask my LGS where i get my reloading supplies about the last ''shortage''. The gal that i usually deal with said the more popular brand like CCI primers were hard to get. But they always had primers in other brands. And the most common powders same thing.

19. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't get the dollar-to-dollar value at all. I have several calibers/gauges and have supply for most all of them; however, any gun(s) I would consider as a SHTF gun, those calibers/gauges will have more surplus than the guns I have, just because I have them. I'd be more apt to consider how many rounds the gun and barrel historically is good for, how much I've shot it, what is its remaining life expectancy and surplus that amount of ammo. But that is way too much pondering for my pea-brain. o_O

20. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

Do you really want to see the ammo start stacking up? For every one you shoot, stash 1.
    Doesn't SOUND like much, but the cumulative effect, over a period of time, if you stick with
    "shoot 1, stash 1" is almost insane. It starts piling up, fast.

PeeJay1313 likes this.