Annoyed by the closed-minded preppers

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TacticalPrecision, Mar 9, 2012.

1. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

I give out advice, on this forum and others as to what I think(and I can't stress that enough that it's my OPINION) is the best idea and occasionally I let people know when I think something is a bad idea.

I've never tried to mask my own opinions as gospel nor have I made attempts to belittle most peoples ideas, just put some questions to them that I feel are important to ask before making final decisions.

The annoying part of all this is lately I've noticed a growing trend in certain, "prepper" communities that they think whatever decisions they have made are absolutely correct and there are no questions to be asked because they have made all the perfect correct decisions and can not possibly be wrong. I just as many other preppers am always open to suggestions and ideas because like I'm sure most of us believe we can't possibly think of everything by ourselves. There will always be that lingering feeling that we're FORGETTING something.

Am I really alone in this feeling of forgetfulness and am the only person who opens myself up to other ideas and the vast majority are actually the closed off do-no-wrong types?

2. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

I won't say that you're wrong. Some people are strong-headed but I wouldn't let it get to me. Each person preps as best as they think they know how, based on how they think. They must believe that they are right - because if they didn't then they wouldn't have done it that way; plus one must have faith in ones plan if they want that plan to work. It's sort of like a placebo, or a self-fulfilling prophecy, by thinking they're going to be okay and that they're covered, they can live their lives in peace.

Don't let anyone else get to you, the point of the forum is that you give your opinion as best you can and maybe you learn some ideas from others. People don't have to like your ideas, and you don't have to like theirs. Now, would it be nice if people opened up more instead of saying "no you're wrong"? yes it would. Would it be nice if some people had more tact, again yes. But for every one person who is a jerk, there are dozens who read your posts and agree, or say nothing, or are nice people. So don't let the few affect you.

Does it even matter what others think of your plan? So what if they don't agree? Like I said, the point is to discuss, and learn as best as you can. Don't worry if other people do things differently - even if you think its stupid. I can't believe anyone would buy zombie-bullets (look it up) or "tactical bacon", but there's a market for both. I could go on, but I'd be repeating myself. Point is, don't worry about what others are doing - worry about yourself, give the best advice you can, and someone will be reading it.

3. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

Good Points, I guess it's just that I have learned so much from others and can't imagine shutting off other peoples input that it just perplexes me when others do it.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

everyones ideas of preparations will be different as eveyones situation and environment will be different. what works for one may not be the best for someone else. doesn't mean your wrong and they're right, just different needs and situation. some ideas are universal and needed by anyone, such as, food, water, shelter, ect. if they happen to be close minded, then so be it. might be their loss or the difference between their survival. so be it.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

IMO, the point to prepping is to cover yourself as much as possible. If someone sees a weakness in my preps and tells me about it, I'm grateful.

On the other hand, if someone says "this one <gun/knife/fire making kit/water purifier/whatever> is all you will ever need and if you disagree you're an idiot because I'm a Super Genius with years of experience", I'm not very inclined to listen to that person for obvious reasons. :D

6. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Closed minded, stubborn, hard headed, steadfast beliefs are not all the same thing as we know. How many times have “we” gotten into a debate over something for instance, .308 VS. 7.62, are the (going on right now “the Red Jacket banter back and forth? The list goes on………
    we all seem to do it from time to time.

7. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I used to post on a prepper site mostly for the firearms talk. :p

Anyway... there was a post on what SHTF rifle was each specific persons choice and why. I choose my 30-30 since I needed less powder to shoot as far as I felt I was proficient at with all of my rifles. I could scrounge ammo from any 30 cal using the components, and my family and friends could use my 30-06s.

Well there was this AK guy that would not let that stand! I was hounded for days, it could have been weeks.

So now if I post to those kind of threads, I unsubscribe forthwith!

*unsubscribes* ;)

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

None of us have been through a worst case SHTF situation so none of us can know what to expect. Its all opinion and guessing. All we can do is accept that we don't know for certain what would be the best plan and then plan accordingly. In other words be ready to change our plan if need be and adapt to the situation at hand. Absolute certainty doesn't go very well with adaptation, and therefore limits ones ability to truly be prepared.

"Those that think they know it all really annoy those of us that do." :D

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Since we don't know what'll happen it's best to assume no one specific thing will happen. I know of someone prepping for earthquakes, another for economic collapse, another for zombies, etc.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter what you are talking about, anyone with a closed mind will only hurt themselves.

11. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

The CDC has a "zombie" survival guide. Its basically the same guide for any general disaster. They did it just to call more interest to "prepping" ( I still hate that term) Most preparations overlap anyway. Unless you're in a flood plain, then you defiantly need a canoe. In any case, if someone is stupid enough to ignore other viewpoints on a FORUM! then that's their problem.

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

12. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

Im always open to what I forgot or don't know or didn't think of, none of us are perfect, or we wouldn't be in this situation, I for one am glad of these sites so I can learn more, see what I forgot/didn't think of, learn from others knowledge. So keep it coming.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there is always a right way, a wrong way and a better way to do anything. preparation for a disaster is no different. a lot depends on where you live aand whether you will move out of your area if something happens, or hunker down and stay where you are. if you were to move out of your area, you are limited in waht you will be able to take. if you decide to stick it out and stay at home, then you are not nearly as limited in what you have on hand. these are just some of my opinions and thoughts on this.

14. Ima-Savage

Ima-Savage New Member

Prepping and Fortifying are so different. If you have to Flee- you leave behind much of your work. If you fortify to protect your preparations, then you risk a siege/stand-off/depletion scenario. Everyone loses if you use up your supplies during a siege. Still, we must Always Be Prepared as best we can within our conditions.
    Emergency preparedness is still different from long-term prepping in that it is often only a temporary situation that will get better. Doomsday Prepping implies that Things will NEVER be the same afterwards. And more than likely will get much worse. All the prepping in the world only prolongs the inevitable outcome. IMO. Don't Worry, Be Happy and Aim Well!

15. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

very good point.

i dont get the people that just stock pile food and supplies but dont really rely on weapons or weapons training or stocking. such as the family with a few bolt actions and one handgun hardly classifies as "ready". I just cant contemplate how a male, in the 30 or 40's, with family, completely renders out the thought that there will be vicious horrible other males that will burn your house to the ground and will pick up what is left.

IMO hunkerdowners, fortifiers, preppers, whatever, are supply posts waiting to be found. We all have thoughts that with all my weapons sticking out the doors and windows with my large family i can hold off any savages that think they can take what is mine. but the fact is to fight a fortified position is stupid. sure you will be defensive against the mad and starving. but that group of 5 or so guys that know what they are doing know that the key to defeating a fortified enemy is not to get in, but to get them out. so unless your stocking idea is 1000 fire extinguishers, future dont look so bright.

this of course being on the practical level with the average joe. im pretty sure if you have rock and rollers or a ma duce, your situation just might be different.

16. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I have drawn from both philosophies myself. I have enough stock pile to last where I am but I have a list of things that could get quickly piled in the car or on my back If/when I do have to flee. I'm not counting on my position to be sound in the long term. That isn't the same situation for everyone of course. A bit of situational awareness does need to factor in though. My situation calls for portability first, long term second.

17. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

indeed, i think the key to the long term survival of a SHTF situation is to keep moving, at all costs just keep moving.

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I agree with most all I 've read, so here is my opinion without trying to be too redundent. For me, prepping begins within a thought process. What is the most likely to happen and what is it I can do within my means to prepare.

What might be someone elses plan that is airtight, maybe out of my reach. I don't foresee having a fully stocked retreat in Idaho completly off the grid. What I can do is, store food and supplies that my family and I can do well for a few months. Learn some skills that will be very useful in a shtf scenerio. And probably the most important asset in a survival situation, keep a survivors outlook. I have read very little on these threads about the mindset of a survivor.

19. mcb

mcb New Member

I think this is a great thread.

I have a buddy that is forever trying to tell me how prepared he is. I do what I feel is best to take care of my family in any situation that I can think of he thinks because it' s not his way It's not good enough.. I'm always willing to take suggestions to better use my resources but jeez. I think he's actually hoping a doomsday shtf happens.

20. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

cause uhh, im pretty sure it would make never fired a shot in anger or done things that had to be done people very uncomfortable. other than "hmm what would a squirrel do?" for hording techniques, to the lot of us, the survivor mindset dosent involve hiding.