Ankle/Pocket Gun .45 ACP or .357 Magnum?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by WannaGator, May 12, 2011.

1. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

I have a .45 ACP Taurus PT-1911 and a EAA Windicator .357 Magnum/ .38 Special 2" snub nose revolver but would love any suggestions for ankle/pocket guns.

Inexpensive is the watch word.

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I'm partial to the Keltec P11. Small 9mm, with the mag extension you can get all four finger on the grip. It will still carry well in a pocket or ankle holster.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Check out the Kahr PM40/PM9. It's the smallest you're going to find in .40. They also make a PM45 but it's a little bit bigger. The PM40 ain't cheap and it kicks rather severe but you can't put a price tag on your life.

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I would look at the .380/9mm pocket guns.
    IMHO, some of the best ones are from Kahr and the SIG 238 & 290, but they are pricey.
    Cheaper ones that I would trust are Ruger LCP/LC9 and the Kel-tec P3AT/PF9 models.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Stupid me, I always thought a 2" .38/.357 WAS a pocket gun. I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 as a back-up gun and once in a very rare blue moon to church, but still usually carry my Glock 23 in an IWB holster under an un-tucked golf shirt. A friend of mine carries a S&W feather-weight .357 in his right front pocket. As someone else said, the Kel-Tec PF9 would be a decent choice too.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You may want to consider a Bersa Thunder .380.

7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I will play devils advocate and say that small autos will be much more succeptible to malfunctions if the grip isnt ideal. Especially in. 45. Think of if you have to draw with your right hand, and shoot across your chest out the drivers side window when a zombie tries to reach in. You wont have nearly the grip strength in this podition than you would with a soid isometrically-tense two-handed grip.

8. Totalreason

Totalreason New Member

I would have to vote for the ruger .45 acp. The auto colt is going to be most likely smoother framed than the .357 so it's less likely to catch on a seam or pocket, or be seen if you constitutional carry in your area legally. Plus your pocket gun is going to be the one the bad guy is going to get to see and nothing is more scary than the giant barrel of a .45. Lol. And the .45 is probably going to carry a couple more rounds than the .357, and your going to be able to squeeze of more rounds with more ease and rapid succession. The .357 is going to penetrate better I would guess, but the knockdown power of a .45 is worthy of praise, and not to be overlooked. And finally... I think the Ruger p345 looks boss,With the half synthetic lower and siver steel upper slide and barrel. as well as it is very accurate compared to my friends Taurus 24/7 pro. That thing was jamming, and wasn't very accurate no matter who was holding it that day, my ruger did 100 rounds with no jams, and I was grouping like a god at 30-40 feet no prob. My friend was upset, and it felt good...lol I know it's not a super small gun, but it is pretty slim for a .45 and hides very well IMO. And you said .45 or .357 only, so that's my pick for most bang for your buck in that caliber sizes

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. Totalreason

Totalreason New Member

Now that I'm thinking about Taurus guns, how bout the taurus judge? That judge is fairly small for a revolver and you can shoot .410 shotgun shells or .44 mags! That's a wicked combo right there. The judge would be fun I bet, and it would conceal well!
    :D

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Are you being satirical? I hope so. The judge is chambered for 410 and 45 COLT, not 44 mag. Please do not put a 44 magnum in a judge!