animals in ohio

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by shootitout, Oct 19, 2011.

1. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Well as menu of you may have herd up in norther oh we had some lions tigers and bears not to mention monkeys with hep. B thought it was funny what are ur thought on the situation and how it was handled.

2. 762

762 Member

they better get them rounded up, i'm headed to cincy tomorrow

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

They killed 49 of the 56 last I heard and they were still looking for 2.

If I were in the community, I would have loaded my 30-06 and kept an eye out. Should one of the animals showed itself I would have my wife make a quick phone call and let them know that XYZ animal has been located and if it comes within 50 yards(pick your distance) of my house, I'm going to kill it.
    If time didn't allow for such a call, I would shoot first and worry about it later.

4. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

I do not know if I am just getting soft in my old age, but I think that maybe the locals should have set out with tranquilizer guns first and tried to capture as many of the animals as safely possible. Seems a shame to destroy such manificent creatures if not absolutely neccessary. Dang, seems like the msm are turning me into a pseudo-eco-wienie. Or, maybe I have always had a soft spot for big cats.

Wait for it, there is definately going to be a back story as to how and why the owner of the preserve died and who let the animals out. Did he set them free and commit suicide or was it some eco-terrorist?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The owner of the farm opened all the cages and then shot himself.

I agree, I hate to see those animals be killed as well but there is a community of people to consider prior to the animals.

6. shootitout

shootitout New Member

All that are left is a monkey with hep b and a wolf. It is sad it was shoot on sight. a group of friends and I were going to go up this weekend just to check it out but its over mostly now. So not much of a point now.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

The zoo guys on the news this morning indicated that nighttime tranquilizations are problematic; apparently, the animals can wander off and possibly die or sleep really hard and wake up dazed.

I would much rather they had shot free-ranging, non-captive bears.

8. shootitout

shootitout New Member

What I just herd was they only have 4 and the drug in a tiger or bigger with a good shot takes at least 3 min. And up to 6 to start to have affect so the tiger is still killing you.

9. shadamai

shadamai New Member

They were beautiful animals and I hate to see them killed. However, with around fifty dangerous wild animals running around, I feel they did what they had to do. The safety of the community was more important. It wasn't worth risking someone's child, etc.

10. shootitout

shootitout New Member

I have no problem baning hunting on animals such as that but people who want to ban white tall and animals around the world that are over populated I know 6 people who have totaled there cars and been seriously injured yet alot of people still say we need to stop hunting those kinds of animals. This is slightly off topic sry.

11. 762

762 Member

you are correct there. i work for an insurance company. the number of deer claims we get on a daily basis is staggering. we only have policy holders in the state of NC and i guarantee you, at least one of our insureds hits a deer every single day.

it's not as dangerous in an SUV/truck, but in a sedan, you stand a very good chance of getting seriously injured.

12. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

without deer hunting here in Ohio, the deer population will quickly go out of control, the food chain will dry up, they will all get sick and die a slow miserable death from over population. why? because we ran off all the bear, wolves, mountain lions, etc. that would keep the population in check, so now the deer's ONLY predator is the hunter, and the SUV/Minivan

as for Terry, the nutjob in Zanesville...he was known by all the locals as a crazy bast@rd. rumors are that he flew his small airplane through the basket handles of the giant basket that the longaberger company built at their headquarters. a buddy of mine grew up a few miles from the guys "farm" and told me that one time he was out mowing his yard and was about to call the sheriff to come out and dispose of a deer carcass in their yard. someone had shot it with a bow (during the season) but failed to track it. before he could call the sheriff, Terry drove by and screeched to a halt, hopped out and asked if he could take the carcass off to feed his animals.

Apparently he was on hard times like many of us are right now, so he released his animals and took his own life.

the police received 911 calls as dusk was approaching that a lion was roaming around, and they responded to the farm. couldn't even get up to the farm due to the number of animals roaming around. they found Terry's body and all the cages open.

with nightfall so close, their only choice was to shoot them dead. as already mentioned, a tranq takes several minutes to take affect. it's NOT like the movies where the dart hits and the animal is fast asleep in seconds. they have no way to shoot and tranq 40-50 large cats, bears, wolves in such a tight area, AND track them, without being exposed to the dangers of other animals.

the goals of the sheriff was to contain the animals as quickly as possible to prevent harm to people, so rather than wait for daylight when they could safely tranq the animals and capture them, and give them all night to wander out/away and spread out, they chose to shoot to kill before they wandered too far away. as it was, local schools were closed for the day and everyone was urged to stay inside.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Well look at it this way, now you got a wolf, but it takes two to start a pack. :cool:

14. OC357

OC357 New Member

Thank you for the real story.

OC

15. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I've seen a few of the pics coming out of this. Terrible. I'm sorry anyone feels that is a solution, and I feel for the animals.

16. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I guess they got the last Wolf & Monkey on the loose ???....

17. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

The wolf ate the monkey and shortly thereafter, it was hit by by a car and killed. :(

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I saw pictures, too. A very large spread of dead exotic animals. It was sad, indeed.

Seriously? The wolf found and ate the monkey?