Angry at S&W because of their bad rebate program

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by bluez, Oct 31, 2017.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I bought my late production gen1 M&P9 in early July based on the rebate program that was going on at the time making the handgun affordable enough I could justify buying it despite owning others (if I sold one of my other cheaper handguns which I did)
    That was in July and I immediately followed the rebate steps on their website to a "t" including the upload of all relevant receipts.
    I contacted S&W CS and the rebate people on 7 separate occasions.
    Was always told, dont worry just wait a little longer.

Now, 4 months later (!!!) I get a letter that tells me my "reciept was missing or invalid" and I have to reply within X number of days ( most of which have already passed) or I will forfeit the rebate.

This is not the first time that a rebater claims the receipt was not included or invalid.
    Seems to happen with many retailers almost w/o fail when the rebate is higher dollar (but I originally felt safe with S&W.)

This is why I believe this is an intentional stall tactic, as its common "happenstance" one suspects they know many will not respond to such letters or "too late".

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    MisterMcCool likes this.
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I always make copies of every receipt.
    But remember this.....many rebates are handled by companies hired just for that purpose.
    I doubt S & W themselves are to blame. And for the record I have never had it happen to me.
    That being said, contact S & W before you contact the BBB. I have dealt
    with them directly in the past and have always had great results.
    Give them the chance to help you.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I contacted them several times.
    They said at first the sub contractor handles their rebates.
    I told them I hold them responsible not their contractor since I bought a S&W product, through a S&W retailer, with a S&W rebate that I submitted on the S&W website, w/ receipts uploaded on S&W website.

They then told me when I replied to which rebate I chose .. (I told them the extra 2 mags the 2 boxes of carry ammo and the lula) that non money rebates are done direct by S&W and to expect in email in another 15-20 weeks(!) when the stuff would come.
    Now 3 weeks later I get a letter from their contractor saying my receipt was "insufficient" (BTW I uploaded the exact receipt the retailer gave me).

MisterMcCool likes this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Still havent gotten the rebate.
    Waiting since June or July now.
    Contacted them 3 times last year.

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

You have every right to not be happy with them. I'll be paying attention to this, as customer relations and service is a big factor in choosing what company gets my hard earned money.

7. joed49

joed49 New Member

I will not buy anything that offers a rebate, haven't for at least 10 years. Was tired of being ripped off way to often. So, now when I hear someone mention a rebate on a product that eliminates it from my pick and I'll buy something else.

8. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

I just take pictures of all receipts, envelopes, forms, and barcodes. Mark the date on the calendar when it should arrive by, and out the rebate goes.

I've had rejected claims, but a quick call and pictures showing what was sent always clear it up.

Yeah, it's scammy, but if you can do this basic organizing, you get your rebate honored.

Dallas53 and MisterMcCool like this.
  9. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

The last one I had problems with was the receipt was sent, but the computer on their end didn't scan the receipt correctly, and a result, didn't capture the date from the receipt. As a result, they'd rejected it. It got sorted, but was a waste of my time.