Anderson lowers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fev, Apr 5, 2012.

1. fev

fev New Member

Any one heard of these & are they any good?

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Never heard of them. And the website doesn't have any real details on the lower.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Anderson has a pretty good rep on ar15armory.com

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Truthfully, the lower is just the casing for the functional internal parts and a place to mount your buttstock. What parts go into your lower is far more important than whose roll-mark is on the side. If it's a mil-spec forged aluminum product and you use good parts to assemble the lower, you'll be good to go.

Post a picture when you can, I want to see what the roll-mark looks like. :cool:

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I disagree~ All lowers are not equal and alike and some can even have dimensional problems. There are differences in the aluminum from the high quality 7075 T-6 There are forged lowers which are top quality and then there are cast lowers. Color and quality of finish also vary. Some are anodized some are coated with for a simple explanation (Painted) In the past we have experienced some lowers that had such issues as the broaching dimensions on the Magazine well out of spec. They would operate with a 30 round magazines but would not work and 20 round magazines due to the dimension issue. So my advise if you do not know anything about a lower stay away from it. And too many pop up manufacturers coming out of the woodwork for a quick buck trying to capitalize on the demand with little experience with the weapon system. There are too many other good and reputable companies that produce lowers at a fair price there is no need to roll the dice! They may be fine but once you buy it you own it!;)

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sniper03 makes a good point. We assume most cheap lowers will work all right but no doubt there are some bad ones out there. As cheap as stripped lowers from known sources are, is it a good idea to buy unknown. Personally, I like to kick in a few more bucks in the lower to get something I'm proud of. Even $20-50 more is a drop in the bucket compared to the complete rifle yet it (the rollmark) really puts your signature on your build.

7. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I can attest to this as I've recently discovered that my Ardel Engineering lower that I used on my first build has a weird relief area on the rear shelf where the take-down pin goes. This relief lead to some side to side slop in the upper to lower fit that even a wedge could not fully cure. My RRA lower for my next project has a very tight fit with my current upper as it does not have this relief in the rear. Chalk one up to a Noob mistake. Im at work right now but ill throw up some pics of the suspect area when I get home.

8. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Here's the Ardel Engineering

ForumRunner_20120406_200852.jpg

And here's the RRA

ForumRunner_20120406_201043.jpg

I have no idea why they cut it out like that on the right side but I guess for 95.00 plus tax I can't complain too much. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy or anything, just leads to a lil bit of side to side slop in fitment. But ill take the AE finish over the RRA anyday :p. The RRA finish tends to scratch really easily.