... and the knives for the rest of us

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Benning Boy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The world is divided into 2 types of knives. Knives J.D. can afford, and the sub $200 knife category.

I have many sub $200 knives. I plan to use this thread to review a bunch of different makes, models, and manufacturers.

Please feel free to jump in and share your experience with these, or if you have a favorite, post a review.

I tend to buy a new one, abuse it beyond warranty, and if it survives, I get another for the zombie invasion.

The only criteria is that you wouldn't catch J.D. with one of these.

Let me try a couple, and we'll see how it goes.;)

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Well? 742_beating.gif

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Benchmade MonoChrome

Overall length-7.37"

Blade-3"

Weight-3.84 oz

Steel-N690 stainless

After listening to you guys rave about Benchmades, I had to try one. I found this one at Gander Mountain for $50. Could have gotten it cheaper online, but with shipping, worked out about the same.

My first impression was it seemed decent, but I couldn't understand the hoopla. Further research revealed that Benchmade has 4 color coded levels of quality, and this one is at the a$$ end.

Made in Taiwan, the blade was shaving sharp out of the box. It opens via thumbstuds, which I dislike since I have big hands, but this opened for me smoothly.

Lock up is solid, considering the lock is a handle scale that bends inward when the blade is fully deployed. I've never liked this style of lock, but this one seems solid.

Cut pine and cardboard. These materials are rough on an edge, and this one dulled quickly. After 20 minutes on a stone, sharp again. After I shape it the way I want, resharpening shouldn't take long. Drop point is useful for multiple tasks.

Overall, not bad, but makes me want a U.S. Benchmade.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Give a man a minute. Damn.:D

Hey your Av, is that the infamous you vs. J.D. pistol?

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, U bet!

1mirror.JPG

1holster.JPG

IWB = Cheap Thrill!!

fenrirholster.JPG

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks bro.

Hey is this the knife your post is about?

MCd.jpg

MCp.jpg

Or did you get the plain blade?

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Yep, that's it. I got mine in plain.

Not great, but not junk, either. My big knocks on this one are the lock system and edge retention.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Spyderco-Byrd Crossbill

Overall length-7 5/8"

Blade-3 7/16"

Steel-8Cr13MoV

Weight-5.7oz

Spyderco contracts a line of made in China knives known as the Byrd series. They're meant to be decent quality knives in an affordable range. Gone is the signature opening hole, replaced with what they describe as a comet shaped hole.

This one goes for about $20. A false edged hawkbill blade really only serves one purpose for me, and that's defense. I'm told commercial fishermen like this blade for cutting rope, as it grabs the rope and the blade doesn't slip off.

The Boye Dent lock up is solid enough. Not shaving sharp out of the box, it still comes with a better than decent edge. Opening is stiff, and takes some practice.

If you have some feel for karambit based knife attacks, this knife is worthwhile. Might even be useful for electricians. Or commercial fishermen.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The Opinel

This comes in a variety of steels, lengths, weights, etc.

For someone interested in starting a collection, this is probably the go-to knife, simply for the price range. Starting at about $8, you can't go wrong.

These things have an exhaustive history. All the markings on them have an historical significance, There's actually a pretty accurate Wikipedia article on them. Unless you love history, and wanted to know all there was to know about the Savoie Dukedom, the markings that matter most to us are INOX, which indicates stainless, and the number indicated on the collar, which indicates the size.

These knives were originally sized 1 through 13, but 1 and 11 have been discontinued, leaving 2 through 10, and 12 and 13.

Carbon steel ones are harder to find, and a variety of woods are used for the handles. The larger models have a sort of barrel on the collar, which you twist to lock.

These are not tactical-survival-mall ninja knives. They are more Euro weenie, take your girl picnic-pick wild mushroom knives. But they take an edge, and you owe it to yourself to own just one.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What the HELL?? Why I got to be the bad guy all the time?? :eek:

JD

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Gerber Paraframe II.

Overall Length: 8.27"
    Blade Length: 3.53"
    Closed Length: 4.8"
    Weight: 4.2 oz.
    Lock Mechanism: Frame-lock
    Blade Style: Clip Point
    Blade Material: High Carbon Stainless
    Blade Type: Serrated
    Handle Material Stainless Steel
    Opening Style: One-handed opening
    Price: $42.00

I'm on my second one, only because I lost my first. I beat the crap out of this knife and it keeps going. The hex head screws holding the frame together came lose once (after about a year and a half of heavy use) but I fixed that with liquid loctite.

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

How many $200 plus knives you got? I'll bet you have pricey ones you forgot about.

And this is supposed to be how this works. I'll be looking at the Paraframe on payday.:)

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Boker AK-74

Blade-3.25"

Overall-7.5

Steel-AUS8

An auto, the smartest thing on this knife is the firing button placement. Many autos put the button in the middle of the handle, so you open it quickly, then spend time screwing around adjusting your grip. This one is right up under your thumb.

Alot of knifemakers are using the AK moniker, claiming to capture the spirit of the rifle, but in reality, cashing in on it's infamy. This one manages to capture the spirit. It's cheap ( about $45), tough, simple (deployment is via a replaceable coil spring), and better than decent for the price.

Pocket clip, aluminum handles, and you can get it in a variety of colors, blade configurations, etcetera. And it comes in a magazine shaped box.

For the price, not bad.:cool:

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's not true - I posted the pictures of the knives I have. I had forgot about one, but that was included....

Always with the busting of the chops. Between you and Cane it's any wonder I have any time to answer any real questions with all the defense I have to put up. :rolleyes:

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Why can't you just be normal sometimes, JD. Your knives are more than $200 and most of your guns are over $2000. Sheesh....

Anyways my next review is for the Winchester 1206 Bowie.

• Blade Detail: Plain
    • Blade Length (inches): 8.75
    • Blade Material: Stainless Steel
    • Handle Material: Wood
    • Overall Length (inches): 14.25

Beefy 8 3/4" saber clip fixed blade is surgical stainless steel, brass-plated finger guard, full-tang construction for strength, contoured wood and brass handle (very comfortable) is secured by twin rivets, has a lanyard hole, and weighs in at 10 ozs. The sheath that comes with it is ballistic nylon, covering a hard-plastic case. Sheath will not allow knife to penetrate it, in an accident.

I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods for $24.99. Great deal.

I like this thread Benning.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Normal? Who are you to judge me monkey?? :p

This SOG, although I got the Night Vision, was the FIRST pocket knife I ever bought myself...

Here is the first automatic I ever bought and carried for close to a year...

Both of which are UNDER $200 and Both of which I still have...

And THIS was the first ever CUSTOM knife that I bought that I carried for about 2 months that has never really seen the light of day since I found a number of knives that were MUCH better and MUCH cheaper....

So both of you, BLOW ME!! * insert Cane's masterbating banana RIGHT HERE*

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Maybe we should change this thread to knives under $100 :rolleyes:. It seems to be a reoccurring theme already.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

What's wrong JD,they're just jealous of you! Hell,so am I. I have a couple of nice knives,but I'm cheap(wise),and have been lucky enough to get some great deals on some of the knives I have. I see some things that I would love to own,but then,what good are they if they just set in a safe or display-unused.So I just try to limit myself on those items.

So,just enjoy what you can afford,and for those that can have the nicer toys I'll just be jealous,you lucky bastards. THB