And the idiot of the day award goes to....

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by BenLuby, Mar 17, 2012.

1. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

ME!!!

First point, no one was hurt.

I've grown up around rifles and handguns. The one thing always drilled in my head was safety, safety, safety.
    Yes, I went a few years without firearms in the house, and over the last year I've gotten back into them. Well, tonight, as a learning experience for everyone, I am going to own up to being a moron.
    I popped the magazine from my XD, and went to drop the hammer. Well...I forgot the number two rule (number one is never point it at anyone), and put a round in the carpet.
    Wife about had a heart attack, and my son and daughter in law...well, my son laughed, my daughter in law grew up in an anti-gun family. She freaked a good bit.
    Since I live in a subdivision, even though it is not in city limits, so I called the police and informed them of what happened.
    They sent a squad car, and the officers were polite and didn't slap me in the head for being a retard.
    So, the lesson learned? Always double check. I have never had a firearm accident. I chalk this up to sloppiness in gun handling on my part.
    I am just glad that no one was injured, other than my pride.
    I am posting this, not for pats on the head, but as a reminder that all it takes is one moment of laxness and you have a firearm mishap.

2. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Good post. Thanks for the reminder.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Glad to hear no one was hurt...

It takes heart to admit you effed up...+1 to you BenLuby

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well ben it happens to us all....the moron award i mean;) glad no one was hurt. You wont live this down you know Mr. Carpet Killer;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Believe me, the wife and kids are having a field day on that. :eek:

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We may have to restrict you to revolvers.:D

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Could be worse. My youngest told me I was to be relegated to Airsoft.

8. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for sharing this as to remind us to never get to relaxed with our firearms.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i believe this has happened to many. glad no one was hurt, just your pride. it sometimes happens when we handle firearms on a regular basis and get complacent. i too have had it happen and felt like an idiotic moron. main thing is, no one gets hurt and we learn a very valuable safety lesson. stay safe, and don't worry, someone else will get the moron award another day!

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Oh those of us still on the GOFFA counsel will rag you on it too;) i did it w my left handed colt one time......it was a good thing i had a spare door to my s10.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Several years ago I had a similar thing happen and a friend of mine shot a hole in the bedroom wall. I dropped the mag, cycled the bolt but I failed to look into the chamber. I told my buddy to try out the trigger and it went BANG!!!

Fortunately the round went out into the back canyon behind my house.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Still scares the sh¡t out of whoever is around none the less....especially the one pulling the trigger.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Hell yeah it does.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Mine w the 45 im still not sure who got scared more...me or my mute who had the bullet exit the door bout 3" above his head. Only time chaos tried to bite me that i didnt kick his fuzzy butt.....him doin so was understandable;)

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

That's the strange part. The cat damn near teleported out of the room. The old dog, who has never heard a gun go off? And he's over 12? He jerked his head up, looked around, and went back to sleep!

16. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I'd be pretty pissed if a bullet whizzed past my head too. Lol

What did your door look like afterwards? Was it fixable?

Haha.

17. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Glad nobody was hurt, also.

We had an issue here a while back. I had taken in a Jennings 9mm and one of my sons wanted it as he needed a replacement pistol and he was cash poor. I reluctantly handed it over as I had heard a few problem areas with them, but he usually is the careful sort so I felt he would be ok with it until he could get better. He stuck it in a shoulder rig he had, but didn't adjust it fully. He had one in the pipe unbeknownst to me and leaned over in my office with me, his younger brother, and the wife there. The gun slipped out of the rig and hit the ground butt first. BANG!! We all about crapped ourselves and started looking for blood. Thank God, nobody got hit. There was a hole in the ductwork above and it did kill two of my wife's denim shirts in the closet above the office. She was pissed.

Another lesson learned. He got rid of the Jennings shortly thereafter.

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No it wasnt fixable since i had a hole the size of a golfball through it....i have spare parts of every kind for that little truck;)

19. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Lol reminds me of my boss. Drives a blue S10 with a red door.

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ben, thank you for your honesty in this post and reading posts like this teach me to check and double check. I am terrified of this happening to me. I am so glad no one got hurt and that the gun was pointed in a safe direction. You learned a lesson the hard way. I bet you never have that happen again. I'm glad no one was hurt. But one last thing........why the heck did you have to do that in front of an 'anti-gunner'? :p