And here's why the .22 ammo is MIA...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Westy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Westy

Westy New Member

I ran down to Cabela's door buster sale today because their sales flyer had 1,000 round packs of .22 M22 ammo for $44.95. (Regular price is $49.99, like you can actually find it for that...)

Doors open at 8:00, so I get there around 7:40 and the line is long to get in. (See pics). They're handing out tickets and they run out 5 people from me. EVERYONE was their for the .22 ammo. The line was twice as long behind me.

It was worse than any black Friday sale I've ever seen. With this kind of sales going on, you will never see .22 ammo back to regular availability.

Sadly, I think we better get used to paying $100.00 for a 500 round brick.

Attached Files:

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I bet the line would have been just as long if they had ran an ad just announcing they were going to have a bunch of .22 ammo at regular price. No sale needed these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Most of the LGS in this area have a 22 LR ammo. 22LR ammo isn't cheap when you find it locally. Personally, I would rather pay $9 for a box of Eley match ammo than $6.50 for a box of Remington Thunderbolts.

4. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I got the same ad and knew better than to take the chance. Gander Mountain sends the same garbage ads for 22lr and I know darn well they haven't have a 22lr on their shelves since the janitor mopped up a loose round last November. It is a blatant case of bait and switch to get you in the store. The ad guys should be ashamed to put stuff like that in the paper when they know what is going on.

5. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

Sad this day and age.

6. scarletma

scarletma New Member

Now that is a line!

WOW! I cannot believe that photo. Today was my Walmart day and since I have so many with in 25-30 miles of me I could have bought all I wanted to day at the 26 bucks a box for 550 Federals and 11 box for Rem 225's They had huge inventories today but really only get it a few times a month and sell out quick. No one would wait in a line like that here for 22 or 9!
    I guess if you are in a rural area and only have a few stores there are more people wanting the limited inventory so gun sales would have to be down.
    If you are patient here (south Florida) you can get all you can shoot within a month no worries. Same old limit per store as 3 total boxes per customer per day. Note the stores today had the PMC boxes of 250 rds of 9mm and 45's and you could buy 3 boxes of those if you needed them

7. Westy

Westy New Member

I usually hit the Walmart in the town where I work early on the two days when they get their shipments and the last month has been dry.

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Ammo rep at my LGS says it will be about a year before .22 availability / price is back to normal. Ammo plants have been working 24/7 to try and keep up with demand of other calibers, rimfire rounds have been low on their priority list. He said it takes about 2 yrs to bring additional equipment online, due to the fact it is made to order. And they are concerned that when the horders lose interest, they will be stuck with equipment/floorspace they don't need.

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Ive been to that Cabela's...It's probably the most awesome outdoor store i have ever been to...A couple yrs ago i had to attend medical equipment seminar in Albert Lea (just south of there). Ohio has one in Columbus, but it's a "mini store" or something, alot smaller.

10. fredmueller

fredmueller New Member

I see no reason why the ammo manufacturers can't ramp up their production of 22LR! Then again, maybe they have and places like Gander Mountain are hoarding it.

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

There's only 24 hours in a day. After you've already added two 8 hour shifts, you're left with adding facilites & equipment. That's expensive, and a weight on profits if the demand collapses.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

THIS is what I'm looking for and can't find.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

We started a thread in the 22/Rimfire section about trying to help each other out with sightings of online or various local regional availability. I am not saying "Go to this place" as I think and would totally understand that posting that info directly when we have sponsors and vendors who pay for ad space, but at the same time with such extraordinary circumstances, we should be allowed to post in Deals thread and to PM each other. We are making it a regular topic segment on the Podcast as well. We asked many at SHOT, and Guests on the show as well, "where's All the Ammo, reloading supplies, and Esp. What does the Federal Gov't want with all that 22 ammo. In late December we were honored to have Rachel Alexander the Editor in Chief of Western Shooting a Journal on the Podcast. She did some extensive research of her own for her Editors column prior to SHOT. Her findings( in the Past she has been a Lawyer both in Arizona, and in Oregon and Washington states) discovered that although the Govt did buy an unspecified amount of 22LR in 2013 "For Training," none was scheduled to be purchased in 2014. When I tried following this up with several Ammo manufactures Reps at SHOT, everyone( from the Media/Pr person for Fiocchi, to the asst. Sr. Sales Director at Federal( you know he heard it from me that I can't Find any AUTO-MATCH bricks!!!) didn't know what I was talking about. Wow haven't we heard THAT before,..
    We could really use everyone's help with this. Please make a serious effort to reduce the amt. Of 22LR you buy, and Shoot. I know how hard this is, but if we don't conserve( Regardless of the hoarders), the hoarders win. If we refuse to pay above a certain price, sooner or later the Hoarders will be stuck with more then they know what to do with as production does increase, and prices do eventually drop somewhat.

This effects MzGrn and I because we are training to eventually shoot Rimfire matches this year( she has never shot in competition
    before, and I have Never shot 22, and stopped shooting PPC, pin shoots, and others in 1999 & 2000) . We had been shooting 200-300 rounds 2X per month together. Not much when it's abundant, but every round counts now. We will cut our consumption by 50-65% for the time being. We are below 2800 rounds, and the cheapest I can get it locally is about $7 a box of 50. The only Ammo I have seen below $6 for 50 rds. Was one vendor listing T-Bolts at $3.99 a box. That would be OK, almost fantastic, if it wasn't Remington Thunderbolts, the dirtiest 22 Ammo in production today. Out of our under 2850 some odd rounds of 22 ammo,
    1850 are "No Shoot" which means not unless we have to. If you folks consider that Hoarding, then I'm sorry, but people on here have 10's of Thousands of Rounds. I'd be happy with 5K of 22's. Some Buy everything they can, making it next to impossible to obtain any. By contrast, I have less of Just about every other Round we shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

They considered it, but a temporary problem wasn't worth tooling up for more lines.

15. RKB

RKB Member

One of the problems is the 'flippers'. Buying .22 when available then selling it at a big markup at gunshows, websites, etc. If you are buying from them, you are the problem.
    Not the only issue, but a big one.

16. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

I stood in line at my local Wal Mart yesterday for a little over a hour had there ammo in and had to do some shopping anyway so I got there about 8am to get my shopping out of the way as they don't sell here till 9:30 , went by sporting goods a little past 8 and the line was already forming so I got in [ 4th ] all they had were cci stingers at like $7 a box of 50 , 3 box limit , really did not want them and to expensive for plinking but since I was there I thought I would get them and just put them up , maybe get a ground hog this summer, Gander Mountain had the Remington 1400 rd buckets this weekend for $70 , 60 buckets sold in 20 min fri morning , did not score on them found this box in my old stash , last one

Attached Files:

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

After buying into this 22LR "scarcity" crap for a couple months,

I realized something. I was going into these stores eight

or ten times for every box of ammo I found. But how many times

did I leave the store empty-handed?

IMHO, retailers are exploiting the "shortage" to get unwilling

shoppers into their stores.

18. isaac318

isaac318 New Member

I never realized how scarce 22LR are. Seems as though nobody can find them? Is it simply in your local stores, or online also? I did find some Federal 22LR at anacortesgunshop.com but they are out of stock from most other suppliers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  19. 242932

242932 New Member

I can't find 22lr ammo now for about 5 weeks I usually get mine at Dicks or wal-mart but lately they have been getting in a very limited supply and it's grabbed by all the retirees as soon as the doors open aggg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

That box is all your last box of .22LR ? :eek: Poor guy . I'm not even shooting .22LR anymore until all this madness subsides.

We may be knee deep in WWIII soon anyways. What a time to run out eh ?