Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons i won't eat the stuff.

"A study by the National Library of Medicine revealed that the consumption of pork can cause irregularly high levels of nandrolone.

Then NLM conducted a study using the urine of three male volunteers who consumed 310 grams of pork, which could be the meat, liver, heart and kidney.

According to the study, the three individuals delivered urine samples before and during 24 hours after meal intake.

Nearly 10 hours after the participants ate pork, the report showed high levels of nandrolone."

What is nandrolone and is it found in pork? (thesun.co.uk)

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
FTA: "...Pig organ meat (offal) has the highest levels of nandrolone...."

Never been a fan of organ meat of any kind. IMO, "offal" is as good a name for it as any.
The function of liver, kidneys and intestines all have to do with the handling of waste products in the body.
Why I would ever want to eat such stuff?

ellis

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Doesn't surprise me.

By and large, I think humans have next to zero clue about just how endemic such, um, cross-over is between what the animals or plants have been injected with or sprayed with and the resulting levels in the people who eat them. Even once or twice removed, in the food chain. (Let alone water-borne issues, of things in the water table or water supply that don't get effectively filtered out [let alone tested for].)

I strongly suspect this will be one of the things that harms the species, at some point. And we've no idea just how badly, yet.

Commercially-raised food products are one thing. Imagine what sorts of concentrations of "bad" chemicals end up in game animals.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Not as worried about venison as I am fish. Public health as well as Conservation Commission have advised against eating more than a few pounds of fish from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers per month. Bad stuff reportedly gets stored in fish - more so in catfish, carp, and drum- but also in "regular" fish as well.

Our lakes are all fed by drainage across agricultural areas, so those fish are also problematic. Whatever. Gotta die of something. Crappie filet poisoning? Nay-nay

Venison here would be contaminated by ag chems due to grazing on field crops. Other wild game I'd say is safe to consume.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Pork Roast, from Giant or Food Lion. Love it We're all going to die of something; might as well go with a full stomach, with carrots and celery and patooties and onions...

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Not as worried about venison as I am fish.
Fish can be a rough one. With many of them, higher on the food chain or lower on the sea floor seems to be a rough indication of riskiness. It's shocking to find what concentrations get reported on various fish species.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I don't much care for fish, so I'm safe there, lol. Now, other seafood, shrimp, scallops, crab legs, lobster, that I will eat like it's going out of style. I'll probably end up with mercury poisoning as, apparently, those have higher concentrations of that as well.

Pork, chicken, turkey, and beef....yummy. Venison is ok, I've had some that was good and some not so good. I stopped hunting deer in Maryland after my first year when I was stationed ther. The deer in the area ate a lot of acorns...makes for some bitter meat. Deer that eat a lot of corn is much better, but I still prefer beef.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I'm going to fast for 3 days when I get back home and flush the body. If everyone would do that, food prices might come down. Obesity could be cured but it might take a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
You cannot protest yourself from eating chemicals because they are used so extensively in this country. Having said that , other countries probably use far more and more dangerous chemicals than we do. I love fish but trash fish and bottom feeders are off the menu.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Interestingly enough, just in this weeks town paper is an announcement that a local, well-known private meat processor,
in business since 1975 and known for processing deer meat in season as well as custom-processing one-of beef carcasses, is expanding with
a 54,000 sq-ft facility fully inspected by USDA and cleared for pork as well as beef and deer processing.

"We can provide our customers with half or whole beef that comes from local farmers. When people eat fresh meat instead of what is available
at grocery stores, they can tell the difference immediately."

They will also have counter sales.

ellis

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
I buy a hind quarter of beef every year. It comes from a butcher who raises their own beef. They do not use steroids and their diet is half grazing and half feed that they grow themselves. Problem is pollutants that are present almost everywhere are ingested by the animals and then you.
I read an article 6 months ago that certain levels of prescription drugs and caffeine are found in fish caught miles off the coast. It’s almost impossible to avoid pesticides and other chemicals which don’t degrade very quickly. Just another sad fact of life in the 21st century.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Interestingly enough, just in this weeks town paper is an announcement that a local, well-known private meat processor,
in business since 1975 and known for processing deer meat in season as well as custom-processing one-of beef carcasses, is expanding with
a 54,000 sq-ft facility fully inspected by USDA and cleared for pork as well as beef and deer processing.

"We can provide our customers with half or whole beef that comes from local farmers. When people eat fresh meat instead of what is available
at grocery stores, they can tell the difference immediately."

They will also have counter sales.

ellis
That's awesome. All i can get out here is 3 year olds for 6$ a pound. Blech!
Maybe i can talk my folks into bringing a 1/4 beef out when the visit next month... sure would be nice to get some quality for a change.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I have 4 meat markets within a 15 minute drive. They get their meat locally, but I don't know how the cows are raised, and frankly, don't much care. I get stuff from them from time to time, but I get most of my meat from Walmart, primarily because of price. The meat markets are pricier on most of their cuts, but not all. As far as taste, I don't really notice a lot of difference.

Anyway, I gave up on worrying about what various critters might have in them, you can't get away from it, and you're ingesting other nasty crap from so many other sources as well.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Cliff a hind quarter of beef is about 150 lbs. so you have to vacuum seal it for freezer. You get a lot of good steaks but you also get a lot of burger and butt roasts. Lasts us about a year.

·
Premium Member
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't like growth hormones and antibiotics in meat: The vast majority of the meat i devour is venison and wild pork. Wild pork don't even resemble the pale commercial stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Probably a lot less fat. I watched them butcher domestic hogs and they’re mostly fat. But I guess that’s the fat that’s good for you😝

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Well there is female estrogen in every drink can or bottle or other containers, so maybe the estrogen and male hormones might balanc each other out, but then ...again we have a bunch of sisfied Mn wanttng to be girls and vice versa, and not a pair among them as evidenced in Washington maybe they need some more bacon and sausage and ham!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts